Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tamiya Arm Crawler — Parallax Forums

Tamiya Arm Crawler

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
edited 2016-11-11 02:09 in Robotics
There's a neat ATV robot in there somewhere. Best price I see is $16 with free shipping. Looks like a 1-motor type so some mods would be necessary to steer it. Not sure if their twin motor gearbox would simply bolt in.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2016-10-26 00:32
    $20 free ship at https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Tool-No-211-Crawler-70211/dp/B00F2YLU5I

Commenter says the dual motor gearbox fits. I have one of those laying idly about. I'm caving... help me...

• So did you already get one Erco? I'm tempted to get one also.
    Just ordered from that Japanese Amazon seller today.
  • Looks like a great fit for a QuickStart board.
  • erco wrote: »
    Just ordered from that Japanese Amazon seller today.

Please let us know if the quality is any good. Looks like a great platform to build something fun from. Thanks

Mine won't be here for a while, it's on a slow boat from Japan: Arriving:
    Monday, November 28 -
    Monday, December 19

Tamiya kits are always good quality. The only negative reviews I saw said it's smaller than expected and that it uses the typical Tamiya treads which assemble together but are not super strong.
    Or for any rich guys out there with more dollars than time, here's what appears to be a similar arm-style tank from Dagu. Complete kit is $200. Servo moves arms.

Jump to 4:15 in video below

edited 2016-11-05 01:48
    Of course, my friends at iRobot first did this moving arm tread over 10 years ago with their Packbot, and everyone has since copied them, jumping on their military-funded bandwagon.

• erco wrote: »
    Or for any rich guys out there with more dollars than time, here's what appears to be a similar arm-style tank from Dagu. Complete kit is $200. Servo moves arms.

Jump to 4:15 in video below

$200 a pop is more than i can afford. Looks like a quality kit though.

edited 2016-11-04 19:35
    This Tamiya Wheel Walker looks fun, too. Adjustable eccentric wheels and a "bendable" chassis lets it crawl over some impressive obstacles.

Best price I see is $23 from Japan (same seller as above IIRC): https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-70210-000-TAMIYA-70210-Walker/dp/B00CE3L5KK

Edit: Meanwhile, the price on the Arm Crawler in my OP dropped from $20 to $17. Why didn't I wait? Or maybe I caused the price drop when I ordered. YOU'RE WELCOME.

edited 2016-11-05 01:50
    My Arm Crawler kit arrived today, 10 days from Nippon ain't bad at all. Nice kit assembled easily, I did change to the dual gearbox. Main thing I don't like is there's no bottom plate and the gears are wide open to dirt, the gears will get messed up posthaste running outside unless you jury rig some type of cover. Quite an oversight for an ATV IMO.

Be aware that Tamiya makes two different width dual gearboxes. One is too wide to fit. Fortunately this happy camper had both had both.

I'll post a video when I get it 'lectronified.
  • The one I ordered arrived yesterday. Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear it is easy because at first glance I started wondering what you got me into here ;)
    Let's compare notes, I think I'll be down your way this weekend.
    BTW, you want the TWIN motor gearbox: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301616009877

NOT this DOUBLE gearbox, too wide and wrong form factor:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q13BIU
    CAM02846.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 898K
  • I can't wait for the twin motor gearbox. How much weight can you add on top before it bogs down?

Add Prop Mini, I have a bunch of 2 channel motor controllers. Not sure on battery. Probably bluetooth and PS3 controller.

You and Carol are gaining on me. I better finish mine off before you beat me to it! Figure 8? Maybe...
    edited 2016-11-13 04:53
    Booya! xanadu, I'll bring it down tomorrow so you can critique my mods. I flipped the gearbox & ground it down for better front clearance.

Edit: I had this Twin gearbox on an older robot and swapped it for the double, which was too wide for this crawler. It's been a while but I'm almost positive I swapped the motors for slower, low current types, so expect your twin gearbox to be faster than mine.

• Sweet!
    Best price I see on the twin gearbox is $8.90. Of course I paid more, $8.91 :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q119AC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Thank you Erco for the links. Your robot is amazing as always. Will order one soon and join your figure-8 challenge (if time permit).
    Welcome (potentially) to the F8C family! Order a twin gearbox too, or you'll have to start a figure 1 thread.
    edited 2016-11-18 19:23
    Real offroad project(s): I just got a pair of vintage Tyco Rebound RC vehicles off Ebay for $30. Dirt cheap since the guy lost the controllers. I only wanted a chassis to mod anyway, now I have 2. These are the original 4WD, skid steer, rough & tough, jump & crash hard, flip over and run on either side vehicles.

Whenever I get to it in 2017, will definitely be an outdoor, GPS and obstacle-seeking robot. I'll gear it way down so it won't do ANY of these extreme stunts. :)

Or maybe make one slow and accurate and keep one stock and fast for crazy programmed actions. I'll let you guys decide.

1599 x 901 - 188K
  • I'm thinking about going big for 2017. Power Wheels!

There's this guy in OC that seems to have unbeatable deals.

00C0C_hi5GeQDv2S7_600x450.jpg

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bab/5870818997.html
    Is that 4WD? Box says "Monster Traction"... but of course those are slick plastic wheels. Since you're going to do a lot of mods, check for used ones on CL too. There are some with little use on them, taking up space in someone's garage.

We modded this Powerwheel for indoor use a few years back. Several hundred watts of audio.

• xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2016-11-19 19:05
    I'm guessing 2WD, and little traction. There's a racing league starting up for these things, except it's going to be driverless. Everyone is running 2WD and plastic tires so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Here's the version with drivers, this will be the same but no drivers -

This would be a great weekend for you to come down. I'm meeting with someone who designs self-driving car systems.
    What a hoot!
  • Many of a lead has been lost because of lapped traffic .
    Jim
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    erco wrote: »
    What a hoot!

Sure looked like fun. Racing sprint carts was even more fun than dirt bikes and hobby stocks.
    Related, I just saw this in a BF sale ad for $200. New Bright (historically a bottom-tier RC company) is really stepping up their game. Anybody could have fun with that robot!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=89074766

C-Multi-Function--pTRU1-23726860dt.jpg