Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Servo Controller USB 28830 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Servo Controller USB 28830

All.

I have been using the old non propeller servo controller for many years. I have them hooked to skeletons and controlling them from my computer using VSA. However they are not working now so a while back I purchase some of the 28830's. I have tried to replace the old ones with the new style but nothing seems to work. I had thought I could just swap these new one in and be good to go.
When I do this the board is seen by the computer, I can configure VSA for the correct com port but the servos attached do nothing. I have a separate power supply to the servos and it is connect to the usb on the computer.

Is there something I need to do with the new ones to get them to work as computer controlled usb devices like the old one?

Comments

• In case you don't have them, here's the user guide and firmware files :

https://www.parallax.com/search?search_api_views_fulltext=28830

If your still stuck on Monday, try calling or email Parallax support directly. Sorry I can't offer any other advice - don't think I've ever seen the 28830! Parallax Chris in support may well have experience with these, if no other forum users can help.

• @youngti, Don't forget that the Propeller Servo Controller requires TTL level serial interface to the microcontroller. CMOS level won't move the servos.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-10-16 14:42
    Can you tell us what controllers you were using in the past? That could help. What version VSA?

Also what servo are you using, (analog or digital). we had a couple of threads a few years ago, indicating that you may need a ~5K resistor in line with the servo signal because of the translators on the Servo Controller.

• Some years back there was a guy using VSA who had problems with VSA sending more data than the PSC could handle because -- at the time, anyway -- it was using the original version of FullDuplexSerial that had a 16-byte buffer. I updated the buffer size to 64 and the VSA project worked fine after that. Check the firmware.
  • They were the original parallax USB servo controllers around 2005. VSA version is 4.0
    Publison wrote: »
    Can you tell us what controllers you were using in the past? That could help. What version VSA?

Also what servo are you using, (analog or digital). we had a couple of threads a few years ago, indicating that you may need a ~5K resistor in line with the servo signal because of the translators on the Servo Controller.

• Does Parallax even make these anymore? I can't find any information on the actual board, not the docs.
  • Shawn Lowe wrote: »
    Does Parallax even make these anymore? I can't find any information on the actual board, not the docs.

Discontinued long ago, although you should find docs and firmware using the link in post #2 above.

• youngti wrote: »
    They were the original parallax USB servo controllers around 2005. VSA version is 4.0
    Publison wrote: »

Have you tried the PSCI software to verify if the original board is working? I have attached the software.

EDIT: The software is too large to upload. Will look for a link.

• I sent the file to your email address.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2016-10-18 17:18
    FYI, if you don't mind kits, RoboPi can control up to 24 servos, and has an MCP3208 eight channel 12 bit ADC.

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/robopi/

RoboPi_0831_web.jpg

It does not have USB, but does have 3.3v PropPlug compatible header.

It also stacks on >12 models of SBC's (incl Raspberry Pi)

If you used a 5MHz crystal instead of the 6.25MHz crystal RoboPi supplies, it should be able to run the Prop servo controller firmware.