Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Qualcomm in talks to acquire NXP — Parallax Forums

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    also more here
    http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1330548

A strange merger, given this comment
    "Qualcomm sells relatively high ASP SoCs to a relatively small set of customers in a few markets. NXP sells relatively low ASP chips to a very broad and fragmented set of customers across just about every electronics market imaginable. Combining the two could create a very different company."
    ie the Qualcomm culture and mindset, just would not 'get' things like Logic ICs and Passives and small MCUs...
  • Considering Qualcomm is also releasing processors to the general public for IoT, this makes things interesting, especially when one thinks about the total portfolio across Qualcomm, NXP and Freescale.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Considering Qualcomm is also releasing processors to the general public for IoT, this makes things interesting, especially when one thinks about the total portfolio across Qualcomm, NXP and Freescale.
    It is trendy these days to tag almost anything IoT, but embedded life cycles are much longer than Consumer fashion, and that is something Qualcomm's management will find quite alien.

• I'd disagree a bit because they have chips for cell sites and things that have 10+ years life spans. But I see your point.

These offerings are looking somewhat like the Broadcom chips used in the RasPI.
  • I visited with Freescale at their Austin campus last Nov before the NXP deal happened. Didn't expect to see them in the M&A news so soon. (Those were some of the most expansive cubicle farms I've ever seen.)

Broadcom/Avago sold off their IoT platform to Cypress. No relation to the Pi. I don't know what Hock Tan thinks about the Pi - Scott McGregor liked it.

I keep waiting for a Xilinx announcement...