Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller 1 dead? — Parallax Forums

Propeller 1 dead?

Is anyone using this MCU anymore?
I will try to compete in a Sumobot competition with the Activity board ;)

/Henke

Comments

• Why yes! One that comes to mind is:

http://www.efx-tek.com/topics/ap-8.html

Of course Parallax uses them an a variety of products, such as the newly announced S3 Robot, (and it was used in the S2):

https://www.parallax.com/product/28333

It is also used in the ELEV-8 V#:

https://www.parallax.com/product/elev-8

Bill Henning uses them in some of his products:

http://www.mikronauts.com/

There are many users out there but sometimes they will not tell you what's "Under the Hood"

The Propeller P1 is alive and well!

• Another example is the fairly new motor controller for robotics:

https://www.parallax.com/product/28231
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Still working here.

When I need to wiggle a bunch of I/O pins in asynchronous ways nothing else is easier that the Prop.

• It's the main one we use on our projects!

• Tymkrs wrote: »
    It's the main one we use on our projects!

That is a very cool product!

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    port513 wrote: »
    Propeller 1 dead?
    Is anyone using this MCU anymore?

.. & many have asked the same question of the 8051, over the years ....

Just because something is mature, and not some fad, does not mean it is not being used.

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,927
    edited 2016-09-27 00:45
    EFX-TEK products in production or final stages of design
    -- AP-8+ audio player (finalizing design)
    -- AP-16+ audio player (in production for five years and still very popular)
    -- HC-8+ controller (our most popular controller, recently updated to add new features)
    -- FC-4+ lighting controller
    -- RC-4+ (in final design)

We do contract work using the Propeller as well.

Personally, I used the Propeller for many of Camera Turret's products (until the owner passed and the company closed); I now write Propeller code for similar products for another company.

In Hollywood, I work with Alliance Studios, mostly using EFX-TEK boards, but occasionally building something custom. You can see pictures of a lot of Propeller-powered projects here:
    -- https://www.pinterest.com/jonmcphalen/techno-art/
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2016-09-26 23:23
  • Good to know, asked mainly to see if there are ppl to ask when I get stuck
    port513 wrote: »
    Good to know, asked mainly to see if there are ppl to ask when I get stuck
    There are lots of people here that will help you if/when you need it!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    Personally, I used the Propeller for many of Camera Turret's products (until the owner passed and the company closed); I now write Propeller code for similar products for another company.

Sorry to hear about Lou. He was a nice guy. I helped him out a lot with his products back when he used the BS2sx.

• I still don't see the end of the tunnel for P1. Still designing in on numerous projects of ours.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »

Sorry to hear about Lou. He was a nice guy. I helped him out a lot with his products back when he used the BS2sx.

Lou was a really great guy and we became close friends over the years. I miss him and his infectious laugh very much. Luckily, another company -- who used to buy boards from Lou -- is now building those kinds of products which are needed by budget filmmakers.

It's good to hear someone picked up the torch. They'll never replace Lou, but at least everyone who knew him will remember him.
  • I've seen the Prop in several geophysical type products that need fast simultaneous sampling/processing operations. Handy to have in the tool belt.
  • Digi-Key : 5209 in stock.
    Mouser: 5334 in stock.

Pretty sure the big suppliers don't keep that many "dead" items setting around, ready to ship, if no one is ordering them.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-09-28 18:08
    Paul wrote: »
    Digi-Key : 5209 in stock.
    Mouser: 5334 in stock.

Pretty sure the big suppliers don't keep that many "dead" items setting around, ready to ship, if no one is ordering them.

Great observation and comment!

edited 2016-09-28 21:08
    Edit: Wrong thread
    The P8X32A has been in production for ~10 years.

Parallax themselves are still designing in products using these.

I have no worries about the P8X32A (except the QFN package) being around for many many years to come. I am still designing them into products, and even after the P2 release, I will still have applications where the current P1 (P8X32A) is more suitable and design them in.

It is quite clear to me that P1 sales must be increasing. Mouser and DigiKey are keeping much larger quantities in stock than they used to. Companies don't hold large stock if they are not selling them.
  • I have used a couple of hundred P1's in various projects at work. It's the Swiss Army Processor. Need a serial port? As many as you want, 2 I/O per and one MAX3232 per 2 ports. Need ethernet? Drop in an Olimex ENC28J60 breakout. Need I2C or SPI? Just pins and maybe a pullup. Need VGA? Pins and some resistors. Need a PS/2 keyboard? A connector and a couple of resistors. And all of these things in any combination, up to what the 8 cogs can support in software and 32 I/O pins. I've had test projects outputting three video feeds. Show me any other processor that can do that.

The QuickStart probably hasn't been good for the third party Prop board industry, but it has made it extremely easy to roll our own by drawing daughterboards, which are extremely simple and therefore easy to design. I use ExpressPCB which I know is bad because proprietary and all but very easy to use and fast, and price is never the tent pole in our mostly custom one-off projects. Add a laser cut acrylic enclosure from Ponoko, and suddenly my little company is a manufacturer.

The P1 is the reason I started doing these things for my company; I really can't imagine continuing this kind of work with any other platform. Even the P2 is going to be a lot more limiting because of its form factor and power supply requirements, although it will obviously be the go-to solution when the P1 doesn't have enough RAM or I/O. Even after P2 I will probably continue to use P1 when it suffices just because it's so easy to work with. There really is nothing else out there anything like it.
  • The P1 will always rule with its elegance, power, and simplicity. The imminent upcoming P2 trumps the P1 in raw power, but it looks to be a very complicated beast to master. And ... the P1 has one feature that the P2 can't match: asynchronous timer outputs to the pins, either directly or indirectly through its video driver, both via its PLLs.

-Phil
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2016-09-29 17:33
    I hope the P1 isn't dead because I just ordered a gross of 24LC256 chips from Arrow (free shipping this month) and I don't use them for anything other than the Propeller. :-)
    The P1 will always rule with its elegance, power, and simplicity. The imminent upcoming P2 trumps the P1 in raw power, but it looks to be a very complicated beast to master. And ... the P1 has one feature that the P2 can't match: asynchronous timer outputs to the pins, either directly or indirectly through its video driver, both via its PLLs.

-Phil
    Other than that, the P2 could be used simply (without using all the new features) like a P1, just faster with more pins, memory and cogs. It will be interesting to see how the power consumption compares when doing similar programs.