Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Shift registers for propeller — Parallax Forums

Shift registers for propeller

I am looking for a fast (>1Mhz range, faster=better) shift registers for both input and output
And good suggestions?

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    tuxman wrote: »
    I am looking for a fast (>1Mhz range, faster=better) shift registers for both input and output
    And good suggestions?

Do you expect one part code to do both ?

The high-volume parts for Shifting-Out are the HC595 variants, which include TPIC6C595, TPIC6D595 etc power variants.

Shifting-In, is parts like HC597

There is also HC299, which can do Tri-state Octal Out or In, but not in any mix, and one way at a time.

Some LED driver variants can read-back, so they can do a mix of Out and In, but strangely there is no generic logic part that is designed for any mix of I/O.

With MCUs dropping in price, if you want a flexible mix of IO, in one package, then you are probably best to just use a small Micro.

• I'm pretty sure the TPIC6B595 shift registers I'm using with my RGB LED arrays will process the bits as fast as the Propeller can send them using PASM.

I use three of the TPIC6B595 one each 8x8 array and I can get 5-bit color (on two arrays using one cog) without a noticeable flicker.

For input, I like the '165 chip since it's practically the same as the '595 chips except it's an input instead of an output. So far I've only used '165 chips with a Spin driver. I don't know if these chips have a speed limit when clocking in data

I should mention I haven't used many different kinds of shift registers so one of the chips jmg could be a better option.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Most of the 74xx (HC, HCT, ALS) series cmos chips can be clocked at 10MHz or more at Vcc = 5V, and some at 3.3V