Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop 1 and powered by LiPo batteries — Parallax Forums

Prop 1 and powered by LiPo batteries

Hello!
I've just confirmed that an ordinary Quickstart and an unmodified one at that, can be powered by one of these:
Batt2AJST-02-L.jpg that one is of course sold by Sparkfun. They also sell a fuel gauge for them, which looks like this:
10617-04.jpg and can be found here combining the two, with the QS drawing power from the battery, and monitoring its levels are next. As soon as I work out the I2C coding for the QS of course.

I'll have photos and video up as soon as I can.

Comments

• Hello!
    Okay the video is available, but I'm not sure how enable it for presentation. But it is present on this message. Look for an AVI file.
    And the photos.propqs_0001.jpgpropqs_0002.jpg
    640 x 480 - 40K
    640 x 480 - 41K
  • What's the run time Buck?
  • Interesting question. I'm really not sure. That is a standard 2000MaH battery so it should run for a while. I'll know more once the code is written to support that fuel gauge gadget.

And I'm still scratching my head over that one as it uses normal I2C communications, and the pages for it show code example for the AVR......
  • Bee dee bee dee bee dee...Hey Buck! This might help:

https://github.com/awelters/LiPoFuelGauge
  • Jeff Haas wrote: »
    Bee dee bee dee bee dee...Hey Buck! This might help:

https://github.com/awelters/LiPoFuelGauge

Well yes it does Twiki but it was first written for the Arduino. I already have it. However the part does communicate using the I2C methods so someone should have tried before me.

• MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    so the max voltage of a LiPo is not too much for the Prop?
    Or is there some magic inside the module?
    I thought it is only for gauging and not for regulating.
  • MJB wrote: »

I thought 3.7 would be too high for VDD, and probably would not work on VIN.

• Publison wrote: »
    MJB wrote: »

Well later today I'll check and see if the module works and not powered by that one.

• Publison wrote: »
    MJB wrote: »

Well later today I'll check and see if the module works and not powered by that one.

Actually it became today. The module does work when powered by two regular cells rather than the original LiPoly one.
    propqs1_0002.jpg
    640 x 480 - 39K
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2016-08-31 21:00
    Should regulate it to 3.3V, but as you want to be able to use battery until it's at 3.4V you need a ultra low dropout LDO.

NMOS with reverse current blocking, Ultralow Dropout Voltage: 40 mV Typical at 250 mA
    http://www.mouser.com/Texas-Instruments/Semiconductors/Power-Management-ICs/LDO-Voltage-Regulators/_/N-5cgacZscv7?P=1z0zls6Z1z0wa2e&Keyword=NMOS&FS=True
  • Buck,

Are you connecting the battery before the regulator, or after the regulator on the QuickStart card? The specs for the QS say that the power voltage should be 3.3 volts or 4 to 9 volts depending on where you connect it. A lipo cell has a voltage range of 3 volts to 4.2 volts, so this would need to be connected before the regulator.

Dave
  • Dave Hein wrote: »
    Buck,

Are you connecting the battery before the regulator, or after the regulator on the QuickStart card? The specs for the QS say that the power voltage should be 3.3 volts or 4 to 9 volts depending on where you connect it. A lipo cell has a voltage range of 3 volts to 4.2 volts, so this would need to be connected before the regulator.

Dave
    I am connecting the power connectors to the VDD (for positive) and to the VSS (for negative).

• I can't tell from your picture...are those two AAs?
  • Jeff Haas wrote: »
    I can't tell from your picture...are those two AAs?

Close. Those are two N cells in that dual holder. It's unswitched which is why I use it for other jobs. For everything here I use ones who are covered and indeed use AAs or even AAAs for power. And of course are switched.

And as it happens my recent order from Adafruit includes the sort of thing that would use the LiPoly rig earlier and did.

However.... Those also were connected to the same connection places as before.

Buck,

Dave
    I am connecting the power connectors to the VDD (for positive) and to the VSS (for negative).
    The Propeller datasheet specs the VDD voltage range to be between 2.7 and 3.6 volts. A fully charged lipo is 4.2 volts, which exceeds the maximum operating voltage by a significant amount. This could potentially damage the Prop as well as the other components on the QS board.

Two alkaline batteries will be around 3 volts when they are fully charged, but will drop below 2.7 volts during most of their discharge cycle.

Dave Hein wrote: »
    Buck,

Dave
    The Propeller datasheet specs the VDD voltage range to be between 2.7 and 3.6 volts. A fully charged lipo is 4.2 volts, which exceeds the maximum operating voltage by a significant amount. This could potentially damage the Prop as well as the other components on the QS board.

Two alkaline batteries will be around 3 volts when they are fully charged, but will drop below 2.7 volts during most of their discharge cycle.

Hello!
    Makes sense. Next go-round I'll look for the appropriate power connection points for using that LiPoly one.
  • There is none.
    lipo is in the range that it's to high without ldo and to low w/ a regular dropout LDO.

1: keep target to 3.3V with ultralow dropout LDO.
    2: change target to 3.0V with a regular LDO.
    3: use lifepo4 battery as they stay in the 3-3.6V range.

• Hi,

I did mess about with a Z80 and a prop together and to "do for the middle ground" I had the volts at 4.1 Volts for quite a while and nothing went wrong ... but that doesn't mean that it was right, I suppose ...

9 Volts ... once ... something did go wrong ...

Alan