Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RN-42 No Basic Stamp Found — Parallax Forums

RN-42 No Basic Stamp Found

Hi - I recently installed a Bluetooth RN-42 module to my Boe Bot. Although I can get it to connect to my PC, and get both a solid green light and blue light on the module, I'm not able to control it via Bluetooth. I've made sure I used edit ports to set up the correct ports. When I open the debug terminal, that's when the blue light goes on and I can see it connect showing up on the Bluetooth devices on my PC. When I type something on the Debug terminal, nothing shows up on the blue section of the terminal. I've tried to run a .bs2 program and that's when I get "NO BASIC STAMPS FOUND".

Does anyone have or had the same issue and why this occurs.

Thank you

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    How do you have the RN-42 connected to the BoE-Bot? Is it possible your batteries are low enough that the BASIC Stamp isn't being detected but enough to power the RN-42?
  • HI Chris, so I replaced the batteries and I get the same result. The RN-42 is connected on the bread board with GND on P6 and CTS on P0. Wires are connecting CTS to P0 and RTS to P1. Also VIN to VDD and GND to VSS. Saw this on a thread you posted.

As soon as I open DEBUG terminal it seems like the module connects. As soon as I type, there is a red blinking light under the solid blue light. When I close debug and reopen the red blinking light goes away.

Again when I run a bs.2 it states no BASIC Stamp found.

Thanks.
    First and foremost...You say you have GND on P6. That should not be. GND on the RN-42 should only be connected to Vss on the BoE-Bot.

Nowhere do you mention TX/RX connections or reset. I think your wiring is in error.

If you remove the RN-42 from the breadboard is the BASIC Stamp detected?

Try posting a high-res photo of your connections.
  • Here it is.
    2988 x 5312 - 807K
  • When I remove the RN42 and connect via usb the Basic Stamp is detected.
    edited 2016-08-19 17:57
    Yeah, those connections are wrong. You probably have an output pin connected to an output pin. You won't be able to communicate at all anyway because you're not connected to the TX/RX pins. Only the flow control pins, which I surmise are backward.

If you're using code I provided it should list the connections. I would not continue to power up your board with those connections. You're likely going to damage something.

See this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1253583/#Comment_1253583