Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I deem thee ScooterBot — Parallax Forums

I deem thee ScooterBot

This idea may has been done before in some fashion or another, though I can't find a finished project.My daughter had this in the trash and almost got picked up by her service, I had to smack myself because, I didn't instill it in her to call me first, when she decides to pitch possable useful items.In an initial check of the system I found a loose connector and a broken battery cable, the rear tire has to be replaced because of flat spots, 'kids will do it every time', there must be pretty good speed out of it, and the brakes work well, to turn a round wheel into a square one.I'm hoping to get a balancing bot with a grim reaper type rider put together for Halloween. This is a 24vdc chain drive system, I'm wondering if the motor controller can be hacked, or to go with something different. I want to use a Propeller and Memsic 2125 for the brains, it will definitely need an XBee, as I can't run that fast anymore. I want to include some failsafe's like a ping sensor, brake control and a way to cut power, if anyone has ideas they would like to share, I would appreciate it.Also I have been sitting on this wheelchair base for a while now, would make a good mule or electric guard dog. I don't want to make drastic changes on it, may need to use it for its origial intention someday.

As of today, this is what I have done so far with this project:

Stripping the machine down to the bare minimum.

Decided it needs a motor controller, the original is just on or off. It will have to have speed control.

Desolder and discard original wires from batterys, re-use connectors to make a harness that with terminals to connect to the batterys.

Removing the human element from the scooter, by shortening the handlebar riser and handlebar.

Decided it will need training wheels, they will probably have to only be deployed when coming to a stop.

Looking to swap motor out for a 12v version, no need for all the power, because it won't be carrying a human anymore.

It needs a platform to carry the Propeller and other electronics.

Try to save $20.00+ shipping, and take a belt sander to the rear wheel while it's running, and see if I can get it back to round.

Put on some LED lights and a horn for safety, under remote control of course.

Come up with a mascot to act as the operator, maybe a stuffed woodchuck.

* Lots of details to accomplish before Halloween.

MikeY
948 x 1104 - 460K
1632 x 1224 - 381K
3264 x 2448 - 1M
1632 x 1224 - 349K

Comments

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-08-19 17:30
    Boy I'm glad the wife was away when I put this back together and checked it out, I sprayed the kitchen cabinets and floor with chain oil, but it works good. She's always telling me not to use the whole house for a workshop.
    Came to a few conclusions though, I'm going to save a few bucks and try getting by without a motor controller, pulsing the throttle input should give it speed adjustment. Cheapest motor controller I could find was thirty dollars, and this project is going to have almost no budget. So the motor and 24 volt system stays for now. The circuit looks simple enough, it has a TL431 programmable shunt regulator, im guessing its used to detect the scooter being pushed, whitch in turn generates a voltage and at some piont it is used to switch on battery voltage to the motor. May just bypass that feature and work directly with the relays. The Propeller mini will be a socketed, so it can be removed and used in another project.
    I have the steering and landing gear design worked out in my head, and probably have parts around to develop them. Braking may be as simple as motor drag (Jake Brake), as there is no weight to stop. Don't think there is a need for an accelerometer here, so I will try a four directional tilt sensor. I will need to monitor speed, and the front wheel is a perfect candidate for a homebrew encoder.
    I have head and tail lights picked out, salvaged from submersible trailer lights, still have to come up with decent noise maker.
    Will have to see if my daughter has time to stitch me up a furry mascot, as quick as the summer went by, October 31st will be here before I know it.

MikeY
    1286 x 2166 - 361K
    1600 x 1200 - 279K
    1632 x 1224 - 318K
  • Do you have anything to trade? I have HB-25 and a couple other motor controllers I would trade for something of equal value.
    edited 2016-08-20 12:23
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Do you have anything to trade? I have HB-25 and a couple other motor controllers I would trade for something of equal value.

Thank you for the offer, I looked at the HB-25 specs, while it will do the 100w with no problem, it only goes up to 16v max. I'm not sure I want to spend a lot on an unproven concept, so a trade would be an option.

Is there any interest in fourteen issues of Circuit Cellar magazines from september 2008 to july 2010 all except one in mint condition. Can post the specific issues if there is any interest.

EDIT: smoke free home.

MikeY

P.S. I Imagine it's hard to trade hardware for software. ;)
    2048 x 1152 - 749K
  • Just a quick update to show I haven't forgot about this project. But I don't think it will be much without a new rear wheel and a motor controller. I am committed to this and it will be a continuing build, But may not be ready for primetime this Halloween.

Mike Y.
    1280 x 720 - 316K
    1277 x 2101 - 464K
    998 x 433 - 84K
    edited 2016-10-18 18:44
    A couple more shots of my efforts to make this a reality.
    1280 x 720 - 686K
    1280 x 720 - 298K
    edited 2016-10-31 23:40
    Halloween is here and a non-working ScooterBot is all I have to show. I thought I would post a video of my progress so far, without a motor controller and rear wheel the bot doesn't have a chance to opperate correctly. the robot depends on the accelerometer for balance. and the rear wheel would bounce the bot around so that readings would be undependable. plus the need for accurate speed control to help with ballance is a necessity.

This set-up shows the major components in operation, the landing gear and ping sensor bracket, plus the steering servo horn still has to be made. but my idea is to copy human input, and use relays to control brake and accelerator inputs on the scooters original control board. It would have been just as easy to hack the board and control it's relays directly. The proposed budget was originally zero, and so far I held to that, but this will be an ongoing project, and will rerquire a motor controller and rear wheel, and I will eventually try to prove a working concept.

EDIT: Happy Halloween!
    1280 x 720 - 361K