Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Brick-Laying Robot — Parallax Forums

Brick-Laying Robot

ercoerco Posts: 20,254
This bot's no goldbricker... At least REAL MEN are needed (for now) to add the window frame top (head, Tommy?).

Comments

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-11-02 16:00
    I want to say I have seen it all, and I hope this isn't a trend, the walls look strait level and plumb. Jobs are always welcome in this industry, we don't need this competition from something we created.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Our robotic overlords can now build prisons to contain us.

What kind of thanks is THAT?

@Ken, please make sure that S3 and later bots have a big, easy-access kill switch on top, just in case. Of course, the automated assembly line robots will bypass the kill switch during assembly. The dummy kill switch will just be feel-good, warm & fuzzy, appease-the-masses eye candy.
  • People who want to do Brick Laying are getting pretty scarce around here.
    I'm always impressed with professional brick layers.
    Laying brick or concrete block is a Very difficult job.
    To me at least, a Robotic Brick Laying machine and a couple of technicians to make sure
    the project goes as intended would be a good thing.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
  • Big deal! Computers have been stacking blocks since SHRDLU in the late '60s. What I want to know is where's the mud? Applying and troweling concrete separates real masons from mere block-stackers!

-Phil
    Good point, PhiPi. Even this old school yahoo was ahead of this block stacking trend!

• @ erco, "Header" is the traditional name of the part in question.

I think it would be much easier to program a Supervisor Robot that could 'Quality Control' the Masons.
    Block stacking is so beneath our Robot Overlords...

-Tommy(we are here to serve)Tailspin
    edited 2016-08-02 12:59
    Big deal! Computers have been stacking blocks since SHRDLU in the late '60s. What I want to know is where's the mud? Applying and troweling concrete separates real masons from mere block-stackers!

-Phil

The mud applied robotically could be done with more precision. Because of the plasticity of the material, it could be extruded, there would be less waste. This tech will have to be done on-site, and probably a lot of preparation involved. We have a stick built home that was made in a factory, the windows didn't survive the trip to the installation site.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-08-02 13:13
    Big deal! Computers have been stacking blocks since SHRDLU in the late '60s. What I want to know is where's the mud? Applying and troweling concrete separates real masons from mere block-stackers!

-Phil

At 0:27, it appears there is an adhesive being applied to one edge of the block. I guess a human would have to mud the open spaces.

edited 2016-08-02 14:04
    My personal experience with block layers is that, at least ten percent of the mortar is scraped to the ground. My personal experience with block laying is more like thirty percent. Contractors are always willing to increase profits, do more with less "like time". I can see the little guy buying one of these machines second hand, this might be cost effective someday.
  • No steel? Don't try that in California...
  • Automating reinforced concrete construction would be very different, but sounds
    do-able in the not-too-distant future... The chinese have some very rapid building
    techniques.

I rather like the idea of a shed-building robot.
  • Given that the blocks don't really have any optical targets that are very high contrast, I wonder how the vision system does in a real outdoor setting instead of in a dark tent with super bright spot lights on the manipulator area. Maybe bricks would be more easily identifiable since they are high contrast compared to neutral colored sky/ground/lighting?
  • geo_leeman wrote: »
    Given that the blocks don't really have any optical targets that are very high contrast, I wonder how the vision system does in a real outdoor setting instead of in a dark tent with super bright spot lights on the manipulator area. Maybe bricks would be more easily identifiable since they are high contrast compared to neutral colored sky/ground/lighting?

The laser guides the end-effector, not the load.
    Mickster speaks Brickster. :)
  • This is one of my favourites. Uses cameras and a MS Kinect to figure out the load orientation.

https://youtu.be/2kj6r0iAjvg