Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cable Gremlins — Parallax Forums

Cable Gremlins

Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
edited 2016-07-25 20:26 in General Discussion
I seem to have a bad infestation of cable gremlins in my equipment. For example I keep finding my DMM's red probe with its plastic cover unscrewed, but never the black probe. Meanwhile the black plug end keeps getting frayed above the jack, while never the red one. Not to mention how my various spare wall warts seemed to have fused into a solid mass in spite of my noy touching them.

Comments

• Mice? :)
  • Publison wrote: »
    Mice? :)

No the gremlins seem content to leave my computer mouse alone.
  • Martin_H wrote: »
    I seem to have a bad infestation of cable gremlins in my equipment. For example I keep finding my DDM's red probe with its plastic cover unscrewed, but never the black probe. Meanwhile the black plug end keeps getting frayed above the jack, while never the red one. Not to mention how my various spare wall warts seemed to have fused into a solid mass in spite of my no touching them.

So, switch the black probe with the red probe, and vice versa. That way they wear out evenly! I'm sure you won't have any problems. :) As for the wall warts, I suspect they are subject to the same principle as governs hangers in a closet:

ga860209.gif
  • @Seairth, That's a great analogy for jumper wires.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Some of my power packs have the black plastic coating on the cable breaking of exposing red and white insulated wires :(
    Plug pack cable quality is being questioned here.

BTW Similar insulation problems have been found with 240V house cable here!
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,161
    edited 2016-07-26 01:19
    Actually they found a reason for that......

And that's an early Sunday Garfield.
  • No Wire Hangars-EVER
  • NWCCTV wrote: »
    No Wire Hangars-EVER

Hangars are where one puts airplanes; hangers are where one hangs clothes.
    ;)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Oh. I thought you meant Cable Gremlins as in Time-Warner.

Crush, kill, destroy Time Warner.