Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
7-11 Claims first Drone Delivery — Parallax Forums

7-11 Claims first Drone Delivery

PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
edited 2016-07-25 15:28 in Robotics
http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/23/12262468/7-11-first-retailer-deliver-food-drone.
You may soon be able to order a Slurpee without having to leave your home. Drone startup Flirtey recently partnered with convenience store chain 7-Eleven to make the first commercial delivery to a private residence in Reno, Nevada earlier this month.

Comments

• We are going to have some busy skies, if people are going to be that lazy, prices are high enough at a convenience store, plus the added delivery charge. The emergency deliverys are a good use of the equipment.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2016-07-25 04:03
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    We are going to have some busy skies, if people are going to be that lazy, prices are high enough at a convenience store, plus the added delivery charge. The emergency deliverys are a good use of the equipment.

Flirty gets bragging rights. The first customers may be the ones that enjoy having their Slurpies delivered poolside. They, in turn, have clear advantages over their penthouse owning counterparts with rooftop access.
    It may take a little longer for the service to trickle down to the 'little people'.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2016-07-25 09:43
    Here in the UK someone has just been prosecuted for making drug and tobacco deliveries to prisoners using a drone:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-36849156

There have been several other drone deliveries to various prisons but this is the first time anyone has been charged with piloting a drone.
  • These deliveries may have to be seasonal, to avoid bird migration. Drone vs. Canadian goose, I know what will win, they are tough to knock down with a shotgun.
  • Leon wrote: »
    Here in the UK someone has just been prosecuted for making drug and tobacco deliveries to prisoners using a drone:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-36849156

There have been several other drone deliveries to various prisons but this is the first time anyone has been charged with piloting a drone.

That's been happening in the US also.
    Prison smuggling[edit]
    From 2013 and 2015, UAVs were observed delivering items into prisons on at least four occasions in the United States while four separate but similar incidents occurred in Ireland, Britain, Australia and Canada as well. Though not a popular way of smuggling items into prisons, corrections officials state that some individuals are beginning to experiment with UAVs.[7]

In November 2013, four people in Morgan, Georgia were arrested for allegedly attempting to smuggle contraband into Calhoun State Prison with a six-rotor remote controlled helicopter.[8][9] The suspects were found with "probably about one or two pounds of tobacco rolled up".[8][9]

In 2014 a quadcopter crashed into an exercise yard of Wheatfield Prison, Dublin.[10][11][12] The quadcopter collided with wires designed to prevent helicopters landing to aid escapes, causing it to crash.[10][11][12] A package containing drugs hung from the quadcopter and was seized by prisoners before prison staff could get to it.[10][11][12] The damaged quadcopter was handed over to an Garda Síochána.[10][11][12]

Between 2014 and 2015, at two prisons in South Carolina, items such as drugs and cell phones were flown into the area by UAVs with authorities and one prison not knowing how many deliveries were successful before gaining the attention of authorities.[7]

• MikeDYur wrote: »
    These deliveries may have to be seasonal, to avoid bird migration. Drone vs. Canadian goose, I know what will win, they are tough to knock down with a shotgun.

Don't the Geese know the 500' rule? :)

• Publison wrote: »
    Don't the Geese know the 500' rule? :)

They must think it's the 500+ goose rule.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    Forgot the pic.

LOL

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    At a prison I can't believe the guards aren't trying to shoot the drones down.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    Amazon and the UK government are investigating drone delivery of goods:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36887325
    As for the 7-11 thing, it's still not practical. This is just marketing hype. :cool:
  • As for the 7-11 thing, it's still not practical. This is just marketing hype. :cool:

And I would not want my Slurpee and Hearsey bar out in the sun for a 15 minute flight. :)

Publison wrote: »
    And I would not want my Slurpee and Hearsey bar out in the sun for a 15 minute flight. :)

Agreed! :sick: