Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MCP3202 (ADC) is leaking current through channel pin when ADC is powered down. What to do? — Parallax Forums

MCP3202 (ADC) is leaking current through channel pin when ADC is powered down. What to do?

Hey guys,
I designed a battery powered circuit using the Parallax Propeller. I am using a timer chip connected to the "shutdown" pin of a voltage regulator to put majority of the circuit into sleep mode for extended periods of time. This portion works great and successfully cuts off the 3.3V rail that everything is powered from.

My problem is that I am using an MCP3202 (analog-to-digital converter) that has one of its channel input pins connected to the battery source. I am doing this so I can get a nice 0-100% battery remaining value.
When the 3.3V rail is shut down, voltage from the batteries goes through the MCP3202 channel and ends up bringing the 3.3v rail back up to like 2.5 volts and causes a 5mA current drain. Disconnecting the battery from the channel input solves the problem and there is no current leakage.

Is there an easy solution to this? I keep wondering if I can toss a diode in somewhere and be done with it, or if I need to get complicated with this and incorporate mosfets/transistors connected to GPIO of Propeller chip.

What do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Below is my circuit schematic:

timer_question3.jpg

circuit_question_lowpower.jpg
1564 x 432 - 101K
1230 x 877 - 196K

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    A 10K 0r larger resistor between the battery and the MCP pin would help. Might affect the voltage reading so you would need to compensate with a software correction. Alternatives would be a mosfet between the battery and the pin, or a diode between the 3.3V and the MCP 3.3V pin.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2016-07-15 05:43
    Your leakage is coming from the "top" protection diode within the MCP3202 through the Vdd terminal and the Channel Input ... See page 12 Figure 4-1 on the datasheet link below.

A resistor as kwinn suggests might be effective since it will lower the current through the outlines protection diode leak mentioned above. The resistor should go between the battery terminal and the input channel of the MCP3202. "Clamping" Vdd and Ground with a lower value resistor (1K or so) might also be effective, but you need to watch out that you don't draw excessive current during normal operations. Perhaps "gating" the clamping resistor with a transistor could be a solution.

To minimize this kind of leakage further, you really need two mosfets that are back to back between the positive battery terminal and the input to the MCP3202, where their default state is OFF and they are powered or turned ON only when voltage is present at the Vdd of the MCP3202. An off the shelf solution might be able to utilize a mosfet level shifter for I2C communications to serve as the back to back mosfet.

Datasheet reference:
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21034D.pdf

Back to Back mosfet reference:
    http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/179706/how-come-2-mosfet-chips-are-needed-in-protection-circuits
  • Having a cutoff in the battery sense circuit is always a design consideration however in saying that you can also power an active battery sense circuit. How so? I would use something like a 50 cent PIC chip with A/D and power the chip from the battery. This could replace the TPL5111 although probably not with the same deep low-power mode. However I would program the "PIC" to run as low power as possible off an internal RC oscillator for the TPL5111 function but when running it would sample the battery through a resistor divider and use its internal voltage reference to correctly interpret the voltage and simply output that in asynch serial fashion open-drain style to the Prop every second or so. So that the resistive divider doesn't draw power in standby we tie the bottom end of the divider to an I/O pin of the PIC to connect the divider to ground or not.

Of course this same 8-pin micro could replace the MCP3202 and output all the sense data automatically over the single I/O serial link and it is quite possible to receive that serial data using nothing more than a few lines of Spin code.

This if course does not help if you have gone ahead and designed and built a pcb already.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2016-07-15 15:54
    I'm puzzled by the schematic. It shows 12V input to a DC power connector that seems to have its tip or center conductor connected to ground and the barrel connected to the + supply, is that right? Usually it is the other way around. Also, what are the components labeled U$1 and U$2? Up close they look like diodes, but they might be batteries, and in fact "keystone 92" is a battery holder. At one end there is the label "0.8 to 3.2 volts", so, is that the voltage that goes into the ADC CH0 to monitor the supply voltage? I guess I'm not clear on your power supply source and how those batteries fit into the picture.

One way to deal with the measurement is to use a voltage divider with high resistances to bring the supply voltage down into the range of the ADC. Say 1MΩ and 250k for a 5:1 ratio. There will be a small error in the measurement due to the high source impedance, but it will be consistent and you can compensate for it in the firmware. The error will be smaller if you add a 0.1µF capacitor across the 250kΩ, so long as you don't read that channel more often than once a second or so. That reduces your constant battery drain to a few microamps.
  • Thanks a lot guys for all of the great advice!
    kwinn wrote: »
    A 10K 0r larger resistor between the battery and the MCP pin would help. Might affect the voltage reading so you would need to compensate with a software correction. Alternatives would be a mosfet between the battery and the pin, or a diode between the 3.3V and the MCP 3.3V pin.
    I liked the idea of trying a diode between the 3.3V and the MCP 3.3V pin (pointing towards the MCP) since I can rig this up on an existing PCB to test. Would this extra diode basically nullify the input channels protection diode thats inside the ADC?

Is there a way to calculate what the current draw might be if I put this 10K resistor between the battery and the MCP? I am ok with doing a software correction.
    Your leakage is coming from the "top" protection diode within the MCP3202 through the Vdd terminal and the Channel Input ... See page 12 Figure 4-1 on the datasheet link below.

A resistor as kwinn suggests might be effective since it will lower the current through the outlines protection diode leak mentioned above. The resistor should go between the battery terminal and the input channel of the MCP3202. "Clamping" Vdd and Ground with a lower value resistor (1K or so) might also be effective, but you need to watch out that you don't draw excessive current during normal operations. Perhaps "gating" the clamping resistor with a transistor could be a solution.

To minimize this kind of leakage further, you really need two mosfets that are back to back between the positive battery terminal and the input to the MCP3202, where their default state is OFF and they are powered or turned ON only when voltage is present at the Vdd of the MCP3202. An off the shelf solution might be able to utilize a mosfet level shifter for I2C communications to serve as the back to back mosfet.

Datasheet reference:
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21034D.pdf

Back to Back mosfet reference:
    http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/179706/how-come-2-mosfet-chips-are-needed-in-protection-circuits
    Would this "clamping resistor" need to be some ratio based off the other resistor that goes between the battery and the MCP channel input? E.g. 20K in input, and 2K clamping?
    Having a cutoff in the battery sense circuit is always a design consideration however in saying that you can also power an active battery sense circuit. How so? I would use something like a 50 cent PIC chip with A/D and power the chip from the battery. This could replace the TPL5111 although probably not with the same deep low-power mode. However I would program the "PIC" to run as low power as possible off an internal RC oscillator for the TPL5111 function but when running it would sample the battery through a resistor divider and use its internal voltage reference to correctly interpret the voltage and simply output that in asynch serial fashion open-drain style to the Prop every second or so. So that the resistive divider doesn't draw power in standby we tie the bottom end of the divider to an I/O pin of the PIC to connect the divider to ground or not.

Of course this same 8-pin micro could replace the MCP3202 and output all the sense data automatically over the single I/O serial link and it is quite possible to receive that serial data using nothing more than a few lines of Spin code.

This if course does not help if you have gone ahead and designed and built a pcb already.
    Not a bad idea either thanks! This would be outside the scope of my capabilities, I have never programmed a PIC or AVR, though I am just starting to research more so I can dive into it.
    I'm puzzled by the schematic. It shows 12V input to a DC power connector that seems to have its tip or center conductor connected to ground and the barrel connected to the + supply, is that right? Usually it is the other way around. Also, what are the components labeled U$1 and U$2? Up close they look like diodes, but they might be batteries, and in fact "keystone 92" is a battery holder. At one end there is the label "0.8 to 3.2 volts", so, is that the voltage that goes into the ADC CH0 to monitor the supply voltage? I guess I'm not clear on your power supply source and how those batteries fit into the picture.

One way to deal with the measurement is to use a voltage divider with high resistances to bring the supply voltage down into the range of the ADC. Say 1MΩ and 250k for a 5:1 ratio. There will be a small error in the measurement due to the high source impedance, but it will be consistent and you can compensate for it in the firmware. The error will be smaller if you add a 0.1µF capacitor across the 250kΩ, so long as you don't read that channel more often than once a second or so. That reduces your constant battery drain to a few microamps.
    I'm thinking the schematic part has an incorrect graphic. How its working is without the 12V power connector plugged in, the batteries are connected to ground (through the DC connector). When you insert the DC connector, the batteries become disconnected, and the DC power is then grounded in its place.

U$1 and U$2 are the battery components, each part consists of 2x of those Keystone 92 brackets to hold a battery.

And yes you are correct, the "0.8 to 3.2 volts" is the voltage rail created by 2x AA batteries connected in serial. And yes that is the voltage source that is currently perminantly connected to the ADC chanel input.

edited 2016-07-15 18:59
    Do those batteries power the circuit when the 12V is not connected? It doesn't look like it. The only apparent connection of the battery (+) to the circuit is at ADC CH0.
  • Do those batteries power the circuit when the 12V is not connected? It doesn't look like it. The only apparent connection of the battery (+) to the circuit is at ADC CH0.

U$4 is a boost converter. It takes the battery power and converts it to a steady 3.3V only when the timer allows it to power up. Most of the time the boost converter is sitting in shutdown mode.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2016-07-15 19:36
    I liked the idea of trying a diode between the 3.3V and the MCP 3.3V pin (pointing towards the MCP) since I can rig this up on an existing PCB to test. Would this extra diode basically nullify the input channels protection diode thats inside the ADC?
    Yes, it would nullify the input protection to an extent. Excessive input voltage would send current through the diode and raise the voltage on the MCP 3.3V pin, however if the 10K resistor is also inserted it would help to limit that problem.
    Is there a way to calculate what the current draw might be if I put this 10K resistor between the battery and the MCP? I am ok with doing a software correction.
    The 10K resistor should limit the current to less than Vbat/10,000, so if the battery voltage is 3.2V then current would be 0.32mA. As Tracy mentioned an even higher resistance could be used and the error will be relatively small long as the input is not read too frequently. The MCP inputs have a very high input impedance, but there is a small capacitor on the input that must be charged to the input voltage level, and is discharged as part of the measurement.
  • MahonroyMahonroy Posts: 175
    edited 2016-07-15 20:38
    I guess I am trying to decide the pros/cons/difference between these 3 configurations that are mentioned above:

1. Put resistor between battery and ADC channel input.
    2. Put voltage divider between battery and ADC channel input (was suggested to use a 1M ohm, and 200K ohm for a 5:1 ratio, and possibly a 0.1uF capacitor - btw I already have a 0.1uF cap there).
    3. Put a resistor between battery, and a pull-down resistor on the ADC power pin.

For #2, won't the voltage divider bring the 3.3V down to 0.55V? Why drop it so much? Why not do it in the other configuration for a 1.2:1 ratio and have 3.3V turn into 2.75V? Is the pull-down portion of the voltage divider necessary?

Right now this device is sitting around only 5-10 microamps when in its shutdown state, so it would be cool to keep it in the vicinity I suppose

Thanks again guys for the great advice!
  • That makes sense now, I missed the connection to the boost chip.

I thought maybe the ADC needed to measure the 12V external power when that is applied, but not so. No need for a 5:1 divider. For simplicity, I'd just go with a 1MΩ resistor per idea #1 and apply a correction in firmware if needed. Another resistor from the ADC CH0 pin to ground could reduce any tendency for the voltage at the ADC pin to provide parasitic power.

What boost IC are you using? Some boost IC's when in shutdown pass the input voltage directly through to the output, so the circuit remains powered but at the lower supply voltage. That can be a feature or a failure depending on how you plan it.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-07-16 00:41
    Perhaps the easiest way to patch this circuit then is to use a MOSFET switch either in the form of an optocoupler of if suitably connected something like a single gate version of a 4066 which needs to be checked. The opto's led would be driven from the main supply but otherwise the battery is disconnected from the A/D chip. The CMOS switch idea would do the same thing except the its supply would come straight from the battery boost circuit and the control line would perhaps be driven from a resistive "divider" from the main supply although the divider is really just a pulldown to turn it off and also to limit the control voltage from the main supply.

There is perhaps another patch to do with powering the A/D from the battery. But if designed from scratch I would use a small micro as I mentioned and it is easy to learn to use these chips but you might and should give yourself sometime in-between projects to tool up and learn as you normally do not require these chips to do anything too complicated that a few dozen lines of simple assembler can't fix. I use many different chips and although I love Silabs stuff I find that the PICs are in friendlier packages and more readily available at very good prices. My latest project uses PIC12F1572 chips in tiny 8-pin MSOP (or DIP) packages with A/D, UART, PWM, etc for around 50 cents.

btw, the extra ratio of the resistive divider is not that important as the voltage can be easily adjusted in software but the purpose is to limit the current/voltage but still I find that without a cutoff that this is still a kludge.

edit: a single analog switch for reference (powered from battery supply)
    analog%20switch.png
    edited 2016-07-16 16:39
    Similar to the analog switches that Peter and Beau suggested, I very often use load-switch ICs, the 50 cent FDC6324L in particular. In a data logger, I might have it connected between a 12V or 7.2V battery and an external load or sensing unit that might draw up to 1 amp. The voltage divider to monitor the battery voltage can be connected on the output side of the load switch so that does not current when the load is off.

These load switches consist of a small n-channel mosfet coupled to a large power handling p-channel mosfet.
    Screen%20shot%202016-07-16%20at%208.51.25%20AM.png

But that would be overkill. Following on Beau's comment, all it would really take is a discrete fet with its gate connected to DRVn circuit of the '5111, to enable or disable the connection of the battery to the ADC. Yet discrete mosfets are the same price each as the analog switches that Peter recommended, yet again, the wiring is a kiss and you could buy a discrete in a TO92 package.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2016-07-16 17:15
    Careful, using an IC to do the switching is still going to have parasitic power entering the protection diodes... you need to use two discrete mosfets in a back to back configuration to do it properly. Using an IC switch such as that mentioned above removes the leaking through the MCP3202 but you've only moved the location of the leak to the IC used for switching.

See page two of the datasheet .... "Voltages exceeding V+ or GND on any signal terminal are clamped by internal diodes."

Datasheet reference:
    http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ts12a4515.pdf
    :
  • Careful, using an IC to do the switching is still going to have parasitic power entering the protection diodes

Not with the CMOS switches if they are powered directly from the battery as mentioned, they will only draw around 0.05uA.
  • Peter,

If you cut the power leaving the battery terminals positive supply being the highest voltage potential then the rule on page two of the datasheet will be broken through the input terminal ... "Voltages exceeding V+ or GND on any signal terminal are clamped by internal diodes." .... when this happens the clamping diodes will conduct and you are back where you started with the MCP3202 only with the switching IC instead.
  • Beau, I'm not seeing what you're seeing, the input terminal is driven from the main supply via a divider, if there isn't any voltage then that input is pulled low, there is not exceeding of any limits. The gate is powered directly from the battery and also one analog side is connected to the battery and the other to the A/D.
    edited 2016-07-17 21:34
    Beau, since the V+ pin is connected to the battery, that is always the highest potential, thus no problem. However, the minimum voltage speced for the devices Peter mentioned is 2 volts, and this boost circuit works down to 0.8V. But there is hardly much worthwhile energy left in the battery at that level.

For a pure 3 terminal transistor circuit there is no substrate potential to worry about. Here is an example using a mosfet with source to the battery, gate to the output of the inverter in the OP's circuit, and the drain to the ADC ch0. Also this can be done using a p-jfet or a PNP bipolar. The 1M resistor is there to absorb leakage current. The PNP transistor as a switch isn't quite as accurate but should be adequate in this situation. The pmosfet and the PNP need a low level on the gate(base) in order to turn on. The depletion mode p-jfet on the other hand needs a high level on its gate to turn on, so it can connect directly to the output of the timer chip TPL5111.

An issue is still the 0.8V minimum, if you really have to have that. It is hard to find p-mosfets or jfets with threshold below 0.8V without special selection. The PNP bipolar may in fact perform better at low battery voltage due to the sharper ~0.6V threshold. Esoteric note: PNP transistors used as analog switches are sometimes operated in inverted mode, that is, with the emitter and collector reversed. The gain is much lower, but the saturation error Vec is also lower.
    366 x 246 - 9K
    366 x 246 - 9K
    365 x 246 - 10K
  • It looks like he is using two cells but still quoting the range of the boost regulator rather than the actual voltage where the usable minimum would be closer to 2V than anywhere near 0.8V. OPs are sometimes slow to respond and clarify information or maybe they just think we are happy to chatter on :)
    edited 2016-07-18 17:31
    I'm happy to chatter for general review about discrete transistors and what they can do, a great innovation of the 20th century. Nowadays they are like trees lost in the forest, almost literally, inside sophisticated ICs.

I agree about the 2V battery limit. Even at 1V per cell, the cells will be almost comatose. I'm still wondering about the OP's boost converter, what is the part number. As you've pointed out a number of times shutdown on boost topologies usually turns off the boost but still passes the battery voltage thru to the output.
    edited 2016-07-19 18:44
    I'm happy to chatter for general review about discrete transistors and what they can do, a great innovation of the 20th century. Nowadays they are like trees lost in the forest, almost literally, inside sophisticated ICs.

I agree about the 2V battery limit. Even at 1V per cell, the cells will be almost comatose. I'm still wondering about the OP's boost converter, what is the part number. As you've pointed out a number of times shutdown on boost topologies usually turns off the boost but still passes the battery voltage thru to the output.

I am using a true shutdown boost converter which completely disconnects the output ( MAX1795 ).
  • Thanks again for the info!

So let me know if this will work and that I am understanding everything?

I need to find an analog switch that has a low minimum power value, and this IC's power will be permanently connected to the 2x batteries.
    The enable pin of the switch will be connected to the generated boosted 3.3V rail, and will have like a 10K pulldown to ground.

The line that currently goes to the ADC channel input would be spliced, and the "Normally Open" pin of the switch would be connected to one end of the line, and the "Common" pin of the switch would be connected to the other end of the line.

How it would work is that the IC will always be consuming power from the batteries (though a very small amount), and when the SHDN pin on the booster is activated there will be no 3.3V rail, so the enable pin of the switch will be low, and the switch will be open (which will prevent current from going from battery into ADC).

When SHDN pin on booster is lifted, the booster will generate the 3.3V rail, which will enable the switch, allowing the battery to connect to the ADC.

Do you have any suggestions on a good IC that I should use? Will there be any problems when the battery life gets low?

Would something like this work? (even though they need 1.65 volts minimum)
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/SN74LVC1G3157DBVR/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtxrAS98ir%2bs1tCBAbnfXIrHFsu3c7S38s=
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NXP-Semiconductors/74LVC1G66GW125/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtxrAS98ir%2bswY3LC9E%2bOpNYQ1rfHdTkQc=
    edited 2016-07-20 17:00
    In your scheme, it is not a good idea to connect the analog switch enable directly to the 3.3V boost. That would make the enable pin higher than its power supply, a no-no. I think it would be better to connect it to the DRVn output of the timer chip, which stays within the level of the battery supply. Peter suggested a couple of alternative analog switches a couple of posts back, but nothing wrong with the 74LVC1G66.

By the way, I see you are not using the LBI/LBO feature of the MAX1795. That is a "free" inverter/comparator with 0.8V threshold, and I'm thinking it could replace U2P, the 74ACH1G04 inverter in your circuit.

Thanks for the tip on the MAX1795. That "true shutdown" feature could be useful, something I often want in order to control peripheral power. It is an expensive chip though. I usually achieve zero-current shutdown by means of a cheap load switch in series with the power input of a conventional boost IC.

• In your scheme, it is not a good idea to connect the analog switch enable directly to the 3.3V boost. That would make the enable pin higher than its power supply, a no-no. I think it would be better to connect it to the DRVn output of the timer chip, which stays within the level of the battery supply. Peter suggested a couple of alternative analog switches a couple of posts back, but nothing wrong with the 74LVC1G66.

By the way, I see you are not using the LBI/LBO feature of the MAX1795. That is a "free" inverter/comparator with 0.8V threshold, and I'm thinking it could replace U2P, the 74ACH1G04 inverter in your circuit.

Thanks for the tip on the MAX1795. That "true shutdown" feature could be useful, something I often want in order to control peripheral power. It is an expensive chip though. I usually achieve zero-current shutdown by means of a cheap load switch in series with the power input of a conventional boost IC.

Would it be better to use the FDC6324L that you mentioned? Are the analog switches basically the same thing? This will be the first time I have used a component like this.

Do you know which part # Peter might have been referring to? I looked above but could not find a specific part # he was recommending.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-07-21 23:55
    DId you read the image of the pin connections for these devices, it clearly lists the part# :) But there are so many ones to choose from and btw you can drive the control gate from a higher voltage as long as you use a voltage divider which could be in the mega ohm range if needed.
    edited 2016-07-22 17:34
    I wouldn't recommend the FDC6324 for your specific project. A simple p-mosfet is better suited. This shows a p-mosfet hooked up in a simple test circuit. It's source goes to Vdd (your 0.8 to 3.2V), its drain goes to an output 1M resistor (your ADC ch0 input), and its gate goes to a switch that can be connected to either Vdd or to common (=ground=Vss).

pmosfet_switch.png
    The output is inverted. When the switch is connected to Vdd, the transistor is like an open circuit and the output is zero. When the switch is connected to common, the transistor becomes a low resistance and the output is equal to Vdd. That should be true no matter what the value of Vdd, however, for your purpose you want the switch to operate down to Vdd=0.8V, so you can't use just any p-mosfet. You have to choose one with a low threshold (voltage from gate to source, Vgsth). I chose an LP0701 (Microchip/Supertex), which is a part that I keep in my shop this sort of thing. It is a "p=channel enhancement lateral mosfet" with an "ultra-low threshold". I built the test circuit, and sure enough, it works great down to below 0.4V with the output tracking Vdd within millivolts when on and down to within mV of common when off.

to be continued...
    359 x 229 - 8K
  • So, how to connect a p-mosfter to the circuit? First, I'd like to make use of the comparator and inverter that is included inside the MAX1795. At present you are not using it. Here is what Maxim shows about the comparator, which operates even in shutdown. It is there primarily for detecting input battery voltage in conjunction with the shutdown pin, and in detecting a battery that is too low to operate the boost.
    max1795_comparator.png
    Here is how I might wire up the timer, the booster and the LP0701.
    snippet_circuit.png
    Not all connections shown. The comparator/inverter inside the MAX1795 replaces your external IC2 74AHC1G04 inverter. A high from timer DRVn pin brings lbo and shdn low and turns on the boost circuit and also turns on the mosfet to pass the battery measurement on to the ADC. And when DRVn is low, then both boost and the fet are off.

An added benefit is that the boost will only turn on if the lbi input is above the 0.85V working threshold of the MAX1795.

If you determine that a 2V battery threshold, say, is more practical, then you can install a high-ohms voltage divider between DRVn and lbi.
    246 x 236 - 7K
    749 x 336 - 13K
  • Thanks for the great explanations. This definitely makes sense.

Instead of using the LP0701 (this only seems to be available as a through-hole component, and is around $1 each), what are your thoughts on these parts? They all seem to have a good value for continuous drain current, gate-source threshold (all being under 1.0 volts), and seem to be readily available and cheap?

RZM001P02T2L
    SSM3J36FS,LF
    BSS223PW H6327
    NX3008PBK,215
    edited 2016-07-27 16:47
    I'd guess any of those would work. The requirement is that they should be off (>>1MΩ) when the voltage from gate to source is zero, and they should be full on into a 1MΩ load at the ADC input when the gate-source voltage equals the battery voltage. I haven't looked at them all, but take the first one, the Rohm 20 cent RZM001P02T2L.
    Screen%20shot%202016-07-27%20at%209.32.12%20AM.png
    This says that if you apply 10 volts across the transistor from source (+) to drain (-) and then monitor the current there as you apply an increasing voltage from source (+) to gate (-), at somewhere between 0.3V to 1.0V, that current will be 100µA. That is quite enough to supply the 1MΩ load. You might ask, but that is with 10V across the transistor. What about 3.2V or 0.8V? Here is the characteristic graph that shows more detail.
    Screen%20shot%202016-07-27%20at%209.33.56%20AM.png
    Looking at the bottom curve, it shows that the typical part with a source (+) to gate (-) of 1.2V will be be able to deliver 20mA even with only 1 V from source to drain. That means the transistor will act like a low resistance in your circuit. There will be variation from one transistor to another, but I think even if you happen to get a worst case transistor, it will still work. If you have the data sheet in front of you, you can also look at figure 9, On-state resistance vs gate-source voltage, which shows that at the lowest battery voltage, the transistor when on will act something like a 10 ohm resistor in series with the 1MΩ load.
    edited 2016-07-27 19:56
    I'd guess any of those would work. The requirement is that they should be off (>>1MΩ) when the voltage from gate to source is zero, and they should be full on into a 1MΩ load at the ADC input when the gate-source voltage equals the battery voltage. I haven't looked at them all, but take the first one, the Rohm 20 cent RZM001P02T2L.
    Screen%20shot%202016-07-27%20at%209.32.12%20AM.png
    This says that if you apply 10 volts across the transistor from source (+) to drain (-) and then monitor the current there as you apply an increasing voltage from source (+) to gate (-), at somewhere between 0.3V to 1.0V, that current will be 100µA. That is quite enough to supply the 1MΩ load. You might ask, but that is with 10V across the transistor. What about 3.2V or 0.8V? Here is the characteristic graph that shows more detail.
    Screen%20shot%202016-07-27%20at%209.33.56%20AM.png
    Looking at the bottom curve, it shows that the typical part with a source (+) to gate (-) of 1.2V will be be able to deliver 20mA even with only 1 V from source to drain. That means the transistor will act like a low resistance in your circuit. There will be variation from one transistor to another, but I think even if you happen to get a worst case transistor, it will still work. If you have the data sheet in front of you, you can also look at figure 9, On-state resistance vs gate-source voltage, which shows that at the lowest battery voltage, the transistor when on will act something like a 10 ohm resistor in series with the 1MΩ load.

Given this information, it seems that this part would be best suited then?
    BSS223PW H6327
    http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/196/Infineon-BSS223PW-DS-v01_05-en-469882.pdf

It shoes source to gate of 2.5V and 2.2V though, so I can imagine where the 1.2V would lie and it seems it would still be over 100ma? A little confused.

• Here is my updated schematic using the BSS223PW H6327 part:
    timer_question5.jpg
    timer_question6.jpg
    1307 x 739 - 123K
    905 x 479 - 96K