Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simple Speaker spin working on Propeller Pro development board but not on the Quickstart rev A — Parallax Forums

Simple Speaker spin working on Propeller Pro development board but not on the Quickstart rev A

I am experimenting with the E555 SPKEngine Demo (with my modification to the sound output) and it works great on my Propeller pro dev board. I moved it to my quickstart rev a board and i don't get any sound out of the speaker. I am powering the quickstart through pins 39 and 40 on J1 with a 9 volt wallwart and use the same suppy for the PP dev board. There are only two connections (besides power and ground) to each board. One wire from pin 5 to the speaker and one wire from the ground to the other speaker wire. The program runs as expected (produces sound from the speaker) on the PP dev board and I get nothing on the quickstart.

No changes to the spin program between boards and i have tested other identical programs (flashing leds) between boards and all works fine.

I am a bit green on the hardware side but I am really confused on what appears to be a simple situation. Assume it might be a power related.

Any ideas from the group?

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-06-04 15:36
    I was unable to find a copy of E555_SPKEngine.spin. The Quickstart does not have the ability to drive a speaker. I imagine the original code that ran on the PPDB ran the output through the headphone speaker amplifier?

A schematic of the original that worked, and a posting of E555_SPKEngine.spin would help.
  • I attached the E555_SPKEngine.spin to my post (i think). The output on the PPDB is pin 5 to speaker and other leg of speaker to the ground. No other connections at all.

Runs fine on the ppdb but not on the quickstart.

I thought at first it was the lack of power but i hooked up the quickstart to the same wall wart as the PPDB through pins 39 and 40 on the quickstart. No difference.

i'm at a loss.
  • I just relooked at the quickstart schematic and released that the pins on j1 do not directly correlate to the pins on the propeller. Propeller pin 5 is pin 6 on the j1 connector. I will try that next.
  • I attached the E555_SPKEngine.spin to my post (i think).

You attached the Demo SPIN object. If you go to the the Demo object in the propeller tool, go to save>archive project. That will save all files in a zip file.

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-06-04 22:43
    I attached the E555_SPKEngine.spin to my post (i think). The output on the PPDB is pin 5 to speaker and other leg of speaker to the ground. No other connections at all.

I am surprised it ran. The output pin might have been compromised.

Here is a circuit to use to drive a speaker:

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/106600/prop-output-to-tiny-speaker

:
  • I feel pretty stupid, but Pin no 6 on the J1 connector on the quickstart is Pin 5 on the propeller.

All worked as designed with the change of the jumper to pin 6 on the quickstart.

Maybe this post will help someone else having a problem.