Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flying ELEV-8 Within 5 Miles of Airport — Parallax Forums

Flying ELEV-8 Within 5 Miles of Airport

PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
edited 2016-05-13 18:31 in Robotics
It can be done in some cases.

I have been asked by my sports car club to take pictures of the two lots that we use. Yes there is Google Maps, but we just did a repave job that they what to show off. :)

Based on the information at the FAA site

And Smartphone App https://www.faa.gov/uas/b4ufly/

It said contact the airport and control tower before flying within five miles of an airport or heliport.

I contacted the Control Tower at Sikorsky Airport regarding this and they where OK, if I file a flight plan, (phone call), with them a day before. Shot 1 looks OK, but Shot 2 looks a little close to runway, they said it would depend on time of day.

So even with the 5 mile rule, there are ways to fly your Quad, but don't expect this to work near the big airports.

792 x 753 - 724K
717 x 670 - 154K

Comments

• Our local flying club the Eastern Idaho Aeromodeler has a flying field about a quarter of a mile from the local airport. I haven't flown there since cell phones have been common but we used to drive up to the tower before flying and speak with the controller prior to using the field. I assume now people just call them from a cell phone.

I think they like having the flying field nearby so they can keep an eye on the model aircraft as well as the full sized aircraft.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Anyone can do it... once. :)

I'm guessing this may not "fly" at my local airport. LAX is "right out". :)
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2016-05-15 21:53
    erco wrote: »
    Anyone can do it... once. :)

I'm guessing this may not "fly" at my local airport. LAX is "right out". :)

Maybe, maybe not. The airport can object to you flying near an airport but they cannot prevent it. Your duty is to inform them of your flight plan and their duty is to inform you of any operations in the area that may conflict. At best they can call law enforcement to investigate - which would not be appropriate unless your flying actually created a danger to other aircraft.

For example, you call LAX and tell them that you are going to fly 100ft over your bud's house that is three miles away at 3:30pm for about 15 minutes. If they object - which they might just, you know - because... You know that there is absolutely no conflict with any other aircraft, you have been informed about any operations in the area (none) and you have notified the airport operator. Then you fly anyway. Wait for the authorities to arrive. You have done nothing wrong. The airport operator does not decide what is legal or illegal.

From https://www.faa.gov/airports/special_programs/uas_airports/model_airplane_faqs/

Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near my airport?

Yes, according the FAA’s Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the NAS. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport.
    If you object to a proposed model aircraft operation within five statute miles of the airport for safety reasons and the model aircraft operator flies anyway, the airport operator has the following options depending upon the airport operator’s judgment of risk from the model aircraft flight:
    Contact the airport traffic control tower (ATCT), if one is located at your airport.
    Contact your local law enforcement agency to detect and potentially investigate and, as appropriate, pursue enforcement actions to stop the use. Please refer to FAA Guidance for Law Enforcement.
    Notify the FAA’s 24 hours Regional Operations Center (ROC). Find ROC contact information.
    Notify the local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO).

Now if you do choose to fly against the objection of the airport operator you had better be sure that you are in fact not posing any danger, else the authorities will have a good reason to investigate/prosecute you. I think it is in the best interest of the airport operators to not object, unless it is actually warranted. No one wants to create an actual danger, on the other hand, no one wants to be prohibited based upon imagined dangers either.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-05-15 23:03
    My Google pic did not make it into my original post.
    forums.parallax.com/discussion/download/117357/Sports%20Car%20Photo.jpg
    The good news is, the tower has no problem with me going vertical at 300' at my proposed locations, as long as I reported the time of day that it will occur. I don't expect to exceed the 1/2 hour flight that I reported.
    792 x 753 - 724K