Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Production of a printed circuit boards, using diode laser installed on a 3D printer. — Parallax Forums

Production of a printed circuit boards, using diode laser installed on a 3D printer.

Production of a printed circuit boards, using diode laser installed on a 3D printer.

We made a video how to make a printed circuit boards using diode laser installed on a 3D printer (or you can put on any CNC mill).

The idea is that you cover copper board with a vinyl film and then remove it with a diode laser.
The simply put into Ferrum chloride.
If anyone has an idea how to make edges more accurate, please let us know.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-02-16 19:43
    You do realize that it's a bad idea to cut or engrave vinyl with a laser, right? The reason is that the process releases chlorine gas from the poly vinyl chloride (PVC) film. The chlorine gas is not only poisonous but also combines with moisture in the air to form hydrochloric acid, which is highly corrosive to electronics.

A much better -- and safer -- choice would be either Kapton film or polyester film.

Another source of concern is eye safety relating to the reflection of the laser beam from the copper substrate. Your 3D printer has no optical shielding around it, and retinal damage could occur from watching the unit operate.

-Phil
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Quite frankly I would be ashamed to show off that PCB to the world.

I made a better board in 1973 drawing it by hand with a etch resist felt tip pen. Probably quicker as well for a simple one off prototype. Certainly cheaper than getting a 3D printer.

One can do better now a days with a laser printer and the toner transfer technique.

Sorry to be so negative. But, well, reality is like that.
    Now, on the positive side.

We can buy PCBs with UV sensitive etch resist coatings. So if you can get your laser to harden up that to the desired pattern you will probably get a lot more resolution.

• In lieu of adhesive films, you can also try CerMark. It can be applied to the bare copper as an aerosol. After drying, it hardens anywhere the laser touches it. The rest can be washed off with water. After etching, the hardened CerMark "resist" can be removed by more aggressive means.

-Phil
    That sounds like the business Phil. Never tried it myself but I've seen others get good results.
  • Yes - laser cutting like this is extremely dangerous. Not only for the chlorine gas, but also for laser splatter when the light hits the copper and scatters the light (as into your eye).

Finally, any miss-step and the laser can cook / cut you hand just as easily as it does the copper PCB. Operating the laser CNC / 3D printer with out any guards is beyond crazy and gives other people the false impression it is safe.
  • These are near-UV lasers, so at least the beam is visible, and weaker than the 10w-50w cutters normally used, but otherwise you're absolutely right that they're still potentially damaging. UV-blocking safety glasses are available - that's what I wear for now while using mine, until I get a proper enclosure on it.