Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Members locations?? — Parallax Forums

Members locations??

At the old forum it used to be written folks (members) locations in this world, just under their avartars. I really miss this feature, cause it`s always nice to know where people you write with are located. I`ve been looking all places at this new forum, but can`t find any locations for any of you. Am I looking at the wrong places or does it really not exist? Is it only me that miss this thing?

Comments

• There was a map and it vanished.
    Noone cried out loud, so such a feature seems not to be missed a lot.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I'm in Finland. But I'd rather the forum did not say that by default. Why does it matter where we are?
  • Reporting from Omaha, NE, USA. It was cold today.
  • Ha, I love the second post of that thread!
    http://www.frappr.com/

Is very popular and probably won't vanish

Graham
    David,
    I love the second post of that thread!
    Hysterical. I live in hope that Facebook and company will go that way...
  • New Orleans. Happy Mardi Gras!
  • Portland, Oregon.
  • Port Townsend, USA!
  • Outside the walls in Leavenworth, Kansas.

John Abshier
  • And I am in Astoria Queens (New York City), home to the oldest continuously active studio. Incidentally Roger, right now there's a group of big cats and several regular sized, and one chap dressed like it was the the late 19C enjoying Mardi Gras.

---
    Erco? What the heck prompted your robot to now be in orbit over the Space Station?
  • Mississippi, not far from where the Natchez Trace Parkway crosses Interstate 20.
  • Happily back in England after ~30 years in Michigan (miss the hunting, though).
    Woah, that must be a bit of a shock Mickster. Old Blighty has changed such a lot in the past decade or two.
    edited 2016-02-10 10:46
    Oddly enough various geolocation services out there reckon my location as being in the middle of a big lake about 500Km away from here.

https://www.google.fi/maps/place/Papinsalon+Pieni-Tervo+14,+70100+Kuopio/@62.8152879,27.7739429,11.75z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4684b47918523909:0x83d6fa34a75bbf23
  • Florida, between St. Petersburg and the Gulf of Mexico. The West coast of the East coast.
  • I am in agreement with the OP.... I miss the member location thingy also.

Hobart, Indiana, USA
  • How about we put our location in our sigs for those who don't mind?
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Woah, that must be a bit of a shock Mickster. Old Blighty has changed such a lot in the past decade or two.

Yes it has changed and for the better as far as I'm concerned. The US was great for me during the '90s. I have gone from being a babysitter for 75 employees to being self-employed and loving it.
    I love the UK and Europe in general. When we get sick of the Michigan winters, we hop on a plane to Florida. In the UK we hop on a plane to Spain, South Of France, Italy, etc.

• How about we put our location in our sigs for those who don't mind?
    Seems like a great idea.

• I'm still here, I just checked. If I end up someplace else, I'll update my signature, access permitting.
  • Testing my new sig.
  • Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3, 5.

For some reason the signature editor didn't like me italicizing the last line. Picky, picky.
  • Poughkeepsie, NY
  • Thank you all for telling your locations, but my poor "harddisk" will never remember it over time. (talks about seconds, haha..) Thats why I loved it when this was vissible by the avartars, and I could get a reminder everytime I red your posts. Seems like it`s only me and "idbruce" that miss this feature. Anyway, this confirms what I was suspecting; This feature is not a part of this forum layout and now I can stop searching for it.
    BTW, Peter in Australia: Good idea to put a note about location in your signature. Of course, only for those who like to do it. I will do it, if I can figure out.
    Oddly enough various geolocation services out there reckon my location as being in the middle of a big lake about 500Km away from here.
    Nice location, Heater... Seems like you live on a "Propeller-powered" float in the middle of that big lake, haha.. Google is nice.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    localroger wrote: »
    New Orleans. Happy Mardi Gras!

What a week or two! Superbowl, Mardi Gras, CNY, Valentines's Day, Presidents Day, what else we got?

• If you are not sure how to edit your sig you need to click on either:
    - your avatar in a post then click on the [EDIT PROFILE] button in the top right
    - the "settings" cog icon next to your avatar in the top left hand column and select "edit profile"

Then in the left hand menu click "signature settings".

It pays to do this in another tab/window from the forum so that you can see how it looks on one of your posts by refreshing the page.
  • I sorta miss it as well. It was neat seeing where everyone was from, even if it was just to understand someone's oddball sense of logic or humor. My location was always listed as:

A hop, skip, and a jump from Parallax HQ..

If it weren't for one annoyingly placed building, I could see Parallax from my building's roof.

On a similar note, when I thought my Sensirion module sales were nearing the end, I tallied up all the places where they were sold or in use. It was pretty neat to see where my little PCB was working out in the world. Funny enough, that was 6 years ago, but I still sell them to this day.
    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/914234/#Comment_914234
  • I liked the location part of the avatar as well. I would be all for bringing it back. Some forums can even show the member's national flag, which is a nice touch. As long as it's optional I see no reason why it would be a problem.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    LA6WNA wrote: »
    ...... Seems like it`s only me and "idbruce" that miss this feature. ........

Not so, I thought it was nice to see what part of the world posters lived in.

• Me too!

(Norfolk, VA, US)