Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Official "Future of PropBASIC" Discussion Thread (Feb 2016) — Parallax Forums

The Official "Future of PropBASIC" Discussion Thread (Feb 2016)

As you may or may not know, PropBASIC was actually designed to be a PASM learning tool. As such it is not feature rich, for example you can only have one math operator per line and you cannot do math in anything other than a variable assignment.

I think I (We) have to make a decision if we want PropBASIC to remain a PASM learning tool? Or do we want it to be a full featured language in it own right?

I am leaning towards making it full featured. Much more like standard BASIC. That means a complete expression evaluation any time a value is expected, a stack for passing values to subroutines, etc.
This will make the compiled programs larger, and I really cannot see any sense in supporting native code as only very small programs would fit. Maybe support native code for TASK that are 100% PASM.

My other idea is to forget about a compiler and design an embedded BASIC. If you haven't seen it I wrote an embedded BASIC for the P1 for the Parallax Spinneret design contest. It was called PE-BASIC (Propeller Embedded BASIC) and was written in PropBASIC.
On the P2 this could be a very powerful language without the need for any external computer. It could be either controlled by a terminal program (serial input/output) or a PS/2 keyboard and VGA monitor.
Embedded BASIC would be nice because you don't have to worry about what OS or machine you are using. In fact PE-BASIC was able to be controlled via telnet on the Spinneret.
The P1 is kind of limited in RAM for this, but the P2 is a whole new story. I think a very power embedded BASIC could be written for the P2.
I know the speed won't be nearly as fast, but the PE-BASIC was pretty fast and MUCH faster than a Basic Stamp and those are used a lot.

Anyway that is my thoughts at the moment. I'd like to hear what PropBASIC user think.

Bean

Comments

• Can you post a syntax summary for PE-Basic? I remember you were working on this at about the same time as I was working on ebasic which was written in C.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    Here is the doc for PE-BASIC.
    Note that PE-BASIC does have a full expression evaluation.

Bean
  • I think there's a place for the existing product as well as your proposed enhancements. I personally like, no, love the capability to whack out simple, quick, easy, screamin' fast cog mem routines. In that mode, for me, PropBasic is pretty much an extremely nice macro assembler, sort of, that saves much time. It defies description. Perhaps keep the version 1.x series as is, with perhaps some enhancements as needed and introduce a 2.x series that would have the expression evaluation, "what you said above", etc. Perhaps just PE-Basic instead of a v2 PropBasic? That's just a semantics issue, I know. Thanks again, especially for the source release, there are some of us who really appreciate PB.

-Mike
  • Bean wrote: »
    Here is the doc for PE-BASIC.
    Note that PE-BASIC does have a full expression evaluation.

Bean
    Yes, I remember you adding the expression evaluator. Thanks for posting the doc!
  • pmrobert wrote: »
    I think there's a place for the existing product as well as your proposed enhancements. I personally like, no, love the capability to whack out simple, quick, easy, screamin' fast cog mem routines. In that mode, for me, PropBasic is pretty much an extremely nice macro assembler, sort of, that saves much time. It defies description. Perhaps keep the version 1.x series as is, with perhaps some enhancements as needed and introduce a 2.x series that would have the expression evaluation, "what you said above", etc. Perhaps just PE-Basic instead of a v2 PropBasic? That's just a semantics issue, I know. Thanks again, especially for the source release, there are some of us who really appreciate PB.

-Mike

With this being in VCS now, this easy. Create a branch for v2.0 and then continue development of both projects! Or, even fork it off as a project with a different name :)

But I agree with Mike, it definitely sounds like you (someone) should keep both of these alive. They each have their merits.
  • My $0.02 ...

Existing feature set of PropBASIC ... I have not found these to be limiting.
    Full feature with larger compiled size ... nice to have, but not at the expense of any significant size.
    Embedded ... does not add value for me.

As a hobbyist, it would delight me to use the same stable platform for a decade or more (hardware, language, IDE, etc.). Maybe I am the only Luddite that would not be thrilled to move to P2, gobble up more RAM, and use a different development scheme?
  • When I started with the Prop, I chose to use PropBasic for one reason only: the ability to write fast cog code without learning PASM. Perhaps that's being lazy, but if I had needed to learn PASM, I probably would have chosen other hardware. I'd been using the CCS C compiler on PIC hardware so Basic itself had no attraction, and it'd been a long time since I'd used it. Personally, once I got used to it I don't find the limitations of PropBasic to be much of an issue. Full expression evaluation would be nice, but if the alternative is PASM, to me even the limited capabilities of PropBasic are preferable.

Regarding the future, if you go in the direction you say you would prefer, you'll lose some current users but you may pick up many more if you focus on making PropBasic a migration path from the Basic Stamp to Prop hardware. If you do write an embedded Basic for the Prop 2 that looks fairly familiar to Stamp users, I would think that would be an environment they would find much more comfortable than C or even Spin. I've long considered the lack of such a Basic-language migration path to be a major hole in the Parallax product line.
  • pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 669
    edited 2016-02-03 17:43
    The expression evaluation would be a great option for things that are not highly speed sensitive. As it is, I work with the single operation per line limitation by breaking down the complex expressions. That scheme also allows me to become more fluent in , and thinking in, PASM terms.
    FUNC CRC32
    		p1			var	long
    		p2			var	long
    		p3			var	long
    		p4			var	long
    		p5			var	long
    		'CRC32 := CRC32tab[Byte(crc xor LongInt(value))] xor ((crc shr 8) and $00ffffff);
    		'						  ^  P1 ^                       ^   P2 ^
    		'             ^     P3        ^                              ^     P4  ^
    		'                   ^                             P5                ^
    		'                  		
    		p1 = crc xor __param1
    		p2 = crc >> 8
    		rdlong CRC32tab(p1), p3
    		p4 = p2 and $00ffffff
    		p5 = p3 xor p4
    		return p5
    	ENDFUNC

PS: The forum screwed up my tab spacing but i think you can get the idea.
  • How will adding expression evaluation make slower or bigger code? It might make it more tempting to write slow code, but will it somehow make well-written code (i.e. code in which the programmer did common subexpression elimination) slower as well?
  • How will adding expression evaluation make slower or bigger code? It might make it more tempting to write slow code, but will it somehow make well-written code (i.e. code in which the programmer did common subexpression elimination) slower as well?
    Great question! The best of both worlds if that can be incorporated.

How will adding expression evaluation make slower or bigger code? It might make it more tempting to write slow code, but will it somehow make well-written code (i.e. code in which the programmer did common subexpression elimination) slower as well?
    Great question! The best of both worlds if that can be incorporated.
    I'm not asking for common subexpression elimination, although it would be nice. I'm asking if, assuming that the programmer manually did common subexpression elimination, would allowing complex expressions somehow add any bloat?
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2016-02-04 00:01
    Bean wrote: »
    I am leaning towards making it full featured. Much more like standard BASIC. That means a complete expression evaluation any time a value is expected, a stack for passing values to subroutines, etc.
    This will make the compiled programs larger.....

Certainly, grow the features toward more standard basics.
    Do you have any 'standard basics' references in mind ? I've found FreeBASIC to be quite good for simple PC scripting work.
    This has Conditional Compile
    http://bourabai.kz/einf/freebasic/TutConditionalCompilation.html

I don't see that making it full featured has to close any doors tho, and any existing PropBASIC code would surely be the same size (or even smaller) ?

I can see that new code, with more complex expressions might be larger as it creates temporary vars or uses a stack, but even here, it should not be wildly different to the manual example above ?
    That creates 5 temporary VARS, and a Compiler can start to overlay such temp variables within functions it knows never call each other.

Taking that CRC example above, and roughly porting the line, this compiles in FreeBASIC
    CRC32 = CRC32tab(&HFF and (crc xor value) )  xor ((crc shr 8 ) and &H00ffffff)	

edited 2016-02-04 00:07
    I think I (We) have to make a decision if we want PropBASIC to remain a PASM learning tool? Or do we want it to be a full featured language in it own right?

It can do both, surely ?
    How quickly can PropASIC be made to generate P2 code ?
    Using it like a Structured Assembler, would make code more portable between P1 and P2.
    This will make the compiled programs larger, and I really cannot see any sense in supporting native code as only very small programs would fit. Maybe support native code for TASK that are 100% PASM.

I'm not quite following ?
    PropBASIC would be able to do BASIC -> PASM, within the usual COG limitations surely ?

( And, eventually BASIC -> HubExec PASM2 ? )

Which compile modes can PropBASIC support now ?

I think there's a place for the existing product as well as your proposed enhancements. I personally like, no, love the capability to whack out simple, quick, easy, screamin' fast cog mem routines. In that mode, for me, PropBasic is pretty much an extremely nice macro assembler, sort of, that saves much time. It defies description.

-Mike

Well put, Mike.

I need PASM speed and prefer to focus on WHAT I need to achieve rather than HOW to achieve it, as would be the case if I had to use pure PASM.

I don't regard PropBasic as a learning tool for PASM, for me, it's a RAD tool for PASM.
    Mickster wrote: »
    I don't regard PropBasic as a learning tool for PASM, for me, it's a RAD tool for PASM.

Yup and as P2 releases, it will gain importance (Assuming a PropBASIC P2 code generation switch) as a means to develop for both P1 and P2.
  • jmg wrote: »
    Yup and as P2 releases, it will gain importance (Assuming a PropBASIC P2 code generation switch) as a means to develop for both P1 and P2.
    It may, but for the same users?
    ...and I really cannot see any sense in supporting native code as only very small programs would fit. Maybe support native code for TASK that are 100% PASM.

Bean
    Are there any current PropBasic users who think the ability to write native cog code is not important? It's Bean's work so it's Bean's call, but I think this represents a change that will appeal to a different set of users, not a superset of current users. That may not be bad, considering that we've had a hard time getting enough people interested to justify support from Parallax. I DO think a case can be made for the Basic Bean talked about, but I think such a Basic has a different target user base, and how large that potential base may be I have no idea.

I wonder if a thread on the Basic Stamp forum would be useful, to see what sort of interest there might be among Stamp users? They may not even look at the Prop forum. Wouldn't they be the main group of potential users, as Parallax customers who probably know about the Prop and who are already current Basic users?
    jones wrote: »
    jmg wrote: »
    It may, but for the same users?
    Certainly. I do not expect all P1 designs to move to P2, so there will be many supporting design code on both.
    Good 'either-core' support is where PropBASIC should be able to shine, as it has much less constraint than GCC.

• pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 669
    edited 2016-02-04 21:53
    I think it's the chicken/egg conundrum. PropBasic would be much more popular if it was officially supported/endorsed/etc. Perhaps they don't want to support/endorse because it doesn't have a giant fan base. I would like to think Ken Gracey has considered this in the past (he seems pretty thorough!) and wish he would reconsider. The Stamp users concept is a pretty good idea - to my definitely non-business mind, that seems like a user base ready and waiting for the Ultra Stamp. But then again, I think the Stamp may be a fairly profitable item for Parallax and they may not want to potentially negatively impact that product line.

-Mike

Addendum: The native code capability is very important to me, for sure.
    Edit: A couple of words were changed in the above for clarity.
    jones wrote: »
    I DO think a case can be made for the Basic Bean talked about, but I think such a Basic has a different target user base, and how large that potential base may be I have no idea.

I wonder if a thread on the Basic Stamp forum would be useful, to see what sort of interest there might be among Stamp users? They may not even look at the Prop forum. Wouldn't they be the main group of potential users, as Parallax customers who probably know about the Prop and who are already current Basic users?
    I agree they are separate.
    If PropBASIC can be made to work simply and reliably with the other associate tools, then it becomes more of a candidate for Basic Stamp.

The other approach, for inbuilt Basic, is to simply clone Basic Stamp, so that code can run on P1 or P2.
    This focuses more on backward compatible, than features. It only has to run Basic Stamp Code.

Both FreeBASIC and FreePascal have compiler compatibility switches, so that is another choice if Basic Stamp and PropBASIC are close, but not identical.

Has anyone listed the differences ?

• ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,621
    edited 2016-02-04 23:24
    jmg wrote: »
    Good 'either-core' support is where PropBASIC should be able to shine, as it has much less constraint than GCC.

You're saying that C, which is supposed to be cross platform, will be less portable than a language designed with exactly one chip in mind?
    You're saying that C, which is supposed to be cross platform, will be less portable than a language designed with exactly one chip in mind?
    Nope, the word I used was constraint, and in this context we are talking about language development.

P1 GCC is stuck with an 'other core' register model code generator, designed to fit with low register count RISC, and P2 will likely be the same. That's easy to do, and works, but is less than optimal.
    PropBASIC is already ahead in that area.

Being larger, GCC has a lot more inertia, and the Code generator is harder to work on, that means changes are slower, and even release of P2 support is of undefined timeline.

GCC also struggles somewhat with ASM and mixing ASM & C, again constrained by having to support many cores.

PropBASIC should be able to mix PASM and Basic, in smarter ways than GCC.

• Hi
    I've been thinking about this.
    I feel Beans pain.
    If I re-call correctly something like this came up a while ago when Bean announced his intention to do something similar as he is now proposing - its obviously something close to his heart - and it wasn't accepted with (lets say) enthusiasm!
    In fact, when I see some of the negativity towards Basic as a language, and the lack of refinement of PropBasic as it is, (even though it works perfectly well if you give it a bit of thought), I wonder why Bean bothers at all - I would have given up years ago- but Bean hasn't and I applaud him.
    I will be really happy to have a P2 version of what we have now, not being able evaluate complicated expressions on one line doesn't bother me at all.
    Now if that can be done without a complete redesign, i.e. without an undue amount of effort (for Bean - for me it would be impossible...), then I say do that and then- follow your heart and make a full featured (slower) or embedded Basic (slower again?), with all the bobs and whistles- I will certainly have a play. But if it doesn't go at full P2 asm speed, then it will be second class (for me); although if that's the only Basic for P2 then I will use it.
    Now its possible that this new Basic peforms so well with the new P2 silicon, I will do an about turn and embrace it; but, I do like to 'bit bang' at maximum speed, writing my own I2C, SPI, PWM and uart, multiplexing etc etc just out of fun, and if I can't generate assembler and then tweak the result, some of the fun will be lost.
    BUT- I hope you find the time for both - a P2 version of what we have now, and whatever you heart dictates, for sure they will both be used by grateful recipients, including me.
    I for one am very grateful for the PropBasic we have now- and I await your decision with baited breath.
    Dave
  • tritonium wrote: »
    In fact, when I see some of the negativity towards Basic as a language, and the lack of refinement of PropBasic as it is, (even though it works perfectly well if you give it a bit of thought), I wonder why Bean bothers at all - I would have given up years ago- but Bean hasn't and I applaud him.

I for one am very grateful for the PropBasic we have now- and I await your decision with baited breath.
    Dave

Hear hear!

If Terry had a "Donate" button somewhere, I for one would be a regular clicker.

"Free" and "open" are unimportant to me. I have to pay for everything else in life.
  • This is my own personal opinion, for whatever that is worth. So far the general consensus of the posts are, PropBasic is fine, the documentation is fine, the general PropBasic environment is fine, and "Life is good".

With the posts revealing that much, I think that the PropBasic 1.44 binaries should be released to the wild, and then maybe the "mooring lines" for PropBasic should be cut, with a final note, "...be sure to write".

Now, there has been mention about PE-BASIC, maybe Bean should go that route, but will you get more than a handful of users with that derivative?

I do not think that the concept of using BASIC is the problem, I think maybe some more effort should be made towards a proper presentation for users of BASIC, or users that are interested in using BASIC on a Propeller. I say that, because if you really read the documentation for PropBasic, with the bias set aside, you will discover that the docs are for people that have a familiarity with Spin to begin with. Your new user, probably has no interest in that area, otherwise that would be the starting point.

So, where are we at now?

Ray
  • MicksterMickster Posts: 2,611
    edited 2016-02-05 13:03
    Rsadeika wrote: »

I do not think that the concept of using BASIC is the problem, I think maybe some more effort should be made towards a proper presentation for users of BASIC, or users that are interested in using BASIC on a Propeller. I say that, because if you really read the documentation for PropBasic, with the bias set aside, you will discover that the docs are for people that have a familiarity with Spin to begin with. Your new user, probably has no interest in that area, otherwise that would be the starting point.

So, where are we at now?

Ray

Although I like Spin, I know very little apart from playing with and modifying others' code.

I am by no means an accomplished programmer, I cannot hold a candle to the other contributors to this forum. However, I jumped right in to the Prop world using PropBasic and I have amazed myself with what I am able to achieve. The only question that I remember having to ask was regarding setting up PWM. It looked too easy and it turned out to be. :-D
  • Ray, the source for 1.44 is available at https://github.com/parallaxinc/PropBASIC already. I personally would not be happy if Bean just threw it out there and didn't guide the further development of PB. After spending some time digging through that source it's obvious he's immensely talented in concept, code implementation and quality as well as clear commenting. I think PropBasic as it currently stands is fine but the complex express evaluation would be very cool but not at the expense of losing native code generation availability. The docs are OK but a doc of more intricate and indepth details of what's under-the-hood so to speak would be very nice. I personally have an directory of examples, code snippets and notes to myself that is a personal gold mine. I'm sure other folks have similar collections as well. Bean and JonnyMac have both released example code and very useful libs in the past and and very recently a user ( I cannot recall right now, need coffee!!) released a very nice Utils_Lib with even more goodies. Perhaps a centralized go-to place to collect these nuggets would be nice. The environment (command line) is OK for me personally and I'd probably use the editor I like even if an IDE was available but that approach isn't going to cut it for many others who do not wish to get involved with batch files, command line switches, etc. thereby locking out a bunch of potential users who may want something semi-Stamp compatible but more powerful.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-02-05 13:55
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't PE-BASIC implemented with tokens rather than PASM since PASM is of course limited to 496 instructions per cog? That's why Bean refers to PropBASIC as a PASM learning tool since it has this hard limit which may look good for small snippets of code but has anyone ever tried to write a real application in PropBASIC?

But I've always wondered what would happen if I implement a Basic interpreter on the Tachyon kernel which would then take advantage of the speed and compactness of the Tachyon VM as well as all the many many extensions and drivers included VGA, FAT32 and Ethernet servers etc. To me that would just be a layer like any other layer. So the code would be compiled into Tachyon byte-code instructions which have a minimum cycle time of 400ns @80Mhz and most are less than 1us.

The funny thing is that other than being aware of the stack that there are some areas where there isn't a lot of differences with Forth and Basic, for instance:
    Basic: HIGH 23
    Forth: 23 HIGH
    Basic: PRINT"HELLO WORLD"
    Forth: PRINT" HELLO WORLD"
    Basic: 2 SHL 3
    Forth: 2 3 SHL
    Basic: LCD CHR$(12);
    Forth: LCD 12 EMIT
    Basic: FOR A = 1 TO 10
    Forth: 10 FOR ....... NEXT
    Basic: PAUSE 1000
    Forth: 1000 ms
    etc

Just throwing this thought out there.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't PE-BASIC implemented with tokens rather than PASM since PASM is of course limited to 496 instructions per cog? That's why Bean refers to PropBASIC as a PASM learning tool since it has this hard limit which may look good for small snippets of code but has anyone ever tried to write a real application in PropBASIC?

Oh sure. There are those who are combining the LMM mode with cog mode.
    But I've always wondered what would happen if I implement a Basic interpreter on the Tachyon kernel which would then take advantage of the speed and compactness of the Tachyon VM as well as all the many many extensions and drivers included VGA, FAT32 and Ethernet servers etc. To me that would just be a layer like any other layer. So the code would be compiled into Tachyon byte-code instructions which have a minimum cycle time of 400ns @80Mhz and most are less than 1us.

For me, it's not so much about being a standard basic but a means of being able to generate PASM code using a syntax that is familiar to BASIC programmers.
    The funny thing is that other than being aware of the stack that there are some areas where there isn't a lot of differences with Forth and Basic, for instance:
    Basic: HIGH 23
    Forth: 23 HIGH
    Basic: PRINT"HELLO WORLD"
    Forth: PRINT" HELLO WORLD"
    Basic: 2 SHL 3
    Forth: 2 3 SHL
    Basic: LCD CHR$(12);
    Forth: LCD 12 EMIT
    Basic: FOR A = 1 TO 10
    Forth: 10 FOR ....... NEXT
    Basic: PAUSE 1000
    Forth: 1000 ms
    etc

Just throwing this thought out there.

Hey, now this is the kind of tutorial that I need to get me to play with Forth!!!
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-02-05 14:43
    The reason you want PASM is for speed, the reason I created Tachyon was for speed and interactive development, being able to type in all on one line:
    VGA $100 $20 DO I EMIT LOOP CON
    and have it spit out all the printable 8-bit characters on the VGA as soon as I hit the enter key, yes!

Looking at the simple Basic FOR NEXT:
    10 FOR a=1 to 10
    20 PRINT a
    30 NEXT a

vs Tachyon where we use a DO LOOP which allows a starting index (1) and a stop at limit (11) and access to that index as I amongst many other things:
    11 1 DO I PRINT CR LOOP
    There is no GOSUB in Forth as functions are named much as they are in Spin and any reference to them generates an implicit call such as:
    pub DEMO 11 1 DO I PRINT CR LOOP ;

then run that with:
    DEMO

or build it in to another function:
    pub STUCK BEGIN CLS DEMO 1 second ESC? UNTIL ;
    which when "called" will simply clear the screen, run DEMO, wait one second, and continue from BEGIN until an escape key is pressed.

Since Forth is fast and interactive I find that the best way to learn is just sit at the terminal screen and try simple stuff such as is outlined in the Introduction to Tachyon Forth as linked in my sig. There are some major differences with Basic of course but being able to test it out immediately makes it so easy to verify methods etc.

Anyway if Basic programmers want to program in Basic then adding this layer is one solution. As mentioned Tachyon is built for speed and it is much faster than Spin and the real test is in real programs and use, which is where my filesystem and Ethernet really perform for instance, without dedicating anything to a PASM cog other than the VGA and serial driver. All SPI operations use a very fast SPIxx instruction for instance. Any Basic built on top of all this will simply benefit from it.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    I wrote PropBASIC (or rather converted it from SX/B) to help me to write propeller code.
    And it has done a very good job, but it the source is kind of a jumble as it was started long ago for the SX processor.
    It's main goal is to write tight code (because the SX has a small code space that was paged, and Propeller can only have 496 instructions) so it kind of handles everything as a special case.
    This makes if very hard to for instance add a new variable type.

I was thinking about just starting over. And what would be my goals if I did that.
    Native code is really restrictive because of the size (only 496 instructions), but it is really fast and required for video drivers and such.
    LMM code is pretty fast, and large and seems like good method of "most" code.
    Expression evaluation is really nice, but leads to larger code.
    An embedded language would be "cool" and be nice for beginners since you don't have to worry about OS's compatibility, etc. Could be serial, WiFi, VGA/Keyboard etc. But it is really slow...

Since this work will be done on my dime, I will have to sit down and really think about what I need and want.

I really appreciate all of the input you guys have, it gives me more to think about.

If I was making something that would be sold, I think I would do an embedded BASIC with WiFi access. I think that would be the most popular (maybe not the most useful).

Bean