Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Searching for: 3D printer head, stepper board — Parallax Forums

Searching for: 3D printer head, stepper board

I already have a 3-axis CNC machine that has a max actual cutting size of about 8x10x4. I'm thinking of retrofitting it to do 3D printing. The cutting tool (a Rotozip) is easily removed with two screws.

I was thinking of getting just the print head, which would consist of the auger feed and heater element. I will also need a motor controller board. While my CNC already has a stepper controller board on it, it's very old school, and designed for use with specific MS-DOS software. So I will also need a controller board for the X-Y-Z motors, and printhead. The motors are standard NEMA 23 double-stack, 1.8 degree, so nothing fancy there.

This is similar to my CNC -- mine is a bit older, and uses the larger Rotozip rather than the Dremel tool:

https://www.super-tech.com/root/itm.asp?p1=ITM-MiniRobo

Ideas for retrofitting? Favorite DIY hardware source? Recommended printing software? Or is something like this not practical. I'm wanting to go this route because the frame of my CNC is quite solid, unlike many of the <$1,000 machines I've seen with cheap wood, plastic, or thin metal frames.

-- Gordon

Comments