Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
*** URGENT -- Looking for USB SX-Keys *** — Parallax Forums

*** URGENT -- Looking for USB SX-Keys ***

So, happy new year - 2016 -- at least the last 2 digits are a power of 2 finally again :)

Anyway, as many of you know we develop a number of kits based on Parallax products; the Propeller Chip as well as the SX-28 and 52 processors. Customers still want these kits, so we are trying to keep them shipping, but our source of SX-key programmers has temporarily been lost (in fact we may take over low volume manufacturing, we are trying to work this out now).

In the meantime, we don't sell many old kits, but 1-2 a month to customers and colleges and we want those customers to be able to enjoy the kits, but they can't without SX-key programmers :(

So, if any of you have USB SX-key programmers that are 100% functional, we would love to buy them from you. We will pay $20 a unit, plus $6 shipping, so you can drop it in a Priority Mailer anywhere in the USA and get it to us in 1-2 days.

Anyone that has an SX-key that no longer needs it, please contact me personally at ceo@nurve.net -- or PM me if you prefer.

Thanks.

Andre' LaMothe
CEO Nurve Networks LLC

Comments

• User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2016-01-09 19:13
    I hope you can get a few more made. Mine I guard with my life. :)

FWIW, in addition to more modern Keys, I still have one of the originals, with the thin white cylindrical cable between the DB-9 and Chip's magic. Kind of like 9/11, I still remember the day, the place, and the time when I first powered it up and realized what it could do! I still haven't entirely stopped grinning from that experience.
  • LOL - yes, I have an old one, a new one as well I guard with my life. I designed a programmer that goes into the XGS Micro of course, so I worked thru the horrible programming algorithm and debugging algorithm required on the SX chips, so I could just use my design, but its not compatible with the sx-key IDE (we wrote our own more modern IDE at the time), and since we sell so few units now, spending $10-20K of man hours isn't worth it to do a new design. So, hopefully I can find a few from eBay, here and there, and get a round of 50 made, half with go to Nurve, half to Parallax, and see how that goes.

But, the source of the files is hard to get a hold of, for months we have been trying due to illness, then he made contact and now has disappeared yet again -- so we will see what happens.

Andre'
  • AndreL wrote: »
    LOL - yes, I have an old one, a new one as well I guard with my life.
    I have two new ones one of which I bought from you I seem to recall. :-)
    I'm keeping mine in case I decide to play with my XGS Pico again some day.

• How about the SX-Blitz? I forget exactly how it differs from the 'key, something having to do with debugging. I have one Blitz I could part with, but sorry, not my only SX-Key.
  • The SX-blitz doesn't support debugging, without that all our tutorials on executing code on the processor won't work, so no love there.

Andre'
  • I have an old db9 sx-key I'm willing to part with. Additionally I have some sx boards if anyone wants them
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    Hi Andre,

I could be wrong here, but didn't Guenther also make SX keys?

Have not seen him around for ages though.

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
  • Gunther is the source manufacturing them, but he is having issues lately, thus the problems for the last few months. So, Nurve is going to ideally take over manufacturing if we can get the files from him, which we are in the process of trying to do.

@Shawn, thanks, but need the USB key, no one even has a serial or parallel port anymore (but guys like me :) -- these days, its flip flops, cell phones, hoodies, unshaven, power books and nothing, but USB ports :)
  • Can't you use a serial to USB adapter? I even think I have one of those lol

• Shawn Lowe wrote: »
    Can't you use a serial to USB adapter? I even think I have one of those lol

If you look at the product page:

https://www.parallax.com/product/45214

It's not your average USB-Serial converter. There is a lot of smarts for debugging.

• Publison wrote: »
    Shawn Lowe wrote: »

It's not your average USB-Serial converter. There is a lot of smarts for debugging.

oh, yeah! lol nevermind

• Publison wrote: »
    Shawn Lowe wrote: »

If you don't care about debugging, can you use a USB2serial adapter for just programming the SX?

• David,

No, the SX chips are programmed with a very complex temporal protocol with strict timing. Makes them very hard to program, and VERY HARD to debug. So, its not a serial connection at all, but a 2 wire proprietary protocol. We built it into the XGS micro for example. But, its not just being able to program and debug the IC, but the "programmer" has to speak to the parallax IDE, so it has to have the exact same interface, etc. in other words, the SX-key only works with the SX-key IDE and viceversa. Unless, you want to reverse engineer either, they really only work together.

Thus, I need to build exact copies of the SX-key programmer. But, I have the files now, and we are getting ready to build prototypes. If everything is correct, and no mistakes then it should work, else, it will take longer. But, I have my fingers crossed.

So, we did a design review last night of the files, and the PCB looks fine, the parts are available, the firmware, who knows, but if worst came to worst, I could extract the binary from a working SX-key USB, without the source (which I have), but its been years since Gunther touched the stuff, so hopefully it all just works since he has now handed this off to nurve.

I really dont' want to put more than 100 hours into this to get this working and manufactured, since that's a good chunk of $$$.

Now, the problem is to program the SX28 on the USB SX-key, I need a programmer :) Of course, I can just use one of my programmers and download the binary with my tools, etc. But, its kinda funny, that if I didn't have that, then how do you program the programmer :) But, there are other SX programmers out there with their own tool chain if worst came to worst, but I have mine, and an old serial SX-key, so I should be able to get the 1st unit programmed and get things going --

• Ugh. What a mess. I assume there is a document describing the protocol used by the SX? Anyway, good luck. If you really get stuck, I can send you one of my two SX-keys.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Surely the Propeller experts here can synthesize an SX Key from a Propeller and an old Dish network antenna!
  • erco wrote: »
    Surely the Propeller experts here can synthesize an SX Key from a Propeller and an old Dish network antenna!
    No, it can't be done with a Propeller!

• K2K2 Posts: 691
    edited 2016-01-13 03:47
    David Betz wrote: »
    erco wrote: »
    +10

• David Betz wrote: »

Purely out of naive curiosity, is that a challenge to see someone do it, or is it too complex/fast?
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    David,
    It is a running joke that whenever someone says something "can't be done" someone always finds a clever way to do it.
    So yes, it is kind of a challenge.

Bean
  • Bean wrote: »
    David,
    It is a running joke that whenever someone says something "can't be done" someone always finds a clever way to do it.
    So yes, it is kind of a challenge.

Bean

I thought it might be. But following such statements as
    Publison wrote: »
    I wasn't quite sure :)

• DavidZemon wrote: »

Purely out of naive curiosity, is that a challenge to see someone do it, or is it too complex/fast?
    It was meant as a challenge but I've been unable to find a document describing the programming protocol for the SX so it might also really be impossible.

• User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2016-01-14 18:07
    I have the protocol somewhere on an old hard drive. BTW, I think the idea of using the Prop to program an SX is brilliant. Of course it would be a whole other matter to recreate the clocking and debugging features Chip folded into the Key.

BTW: it galls me to order a PIC chip as long as there is an SX in existence. But the SX48 package is just a hill too far for me. I'd have to contract out the manufacture of a header board for it...in China or Thailand.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254

You're right, David. Maybe the AVRfreaks or Arduino fanboys are up to the challenge.

• wasswass Posts: 151
    edited 2016-01-24 15:29
    It was meant as a challenge but I've been unable to find a document describing the programming protocol for the SX so it might also really be impossible.

Here's the programming document.

Here's a note about timing.