Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
custom circuit board — Parallax Forums

custom circuit board

I have been looking at custom PCB creation for a bit now and all i can find are insanely expensive prices. Can you guys give me ideas of where you order from?

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2016-01-04 14:08
    For small quantities I use express pcb. www.expresspcb.com

You MUST create the board with their software, but it is pretty good.

The board MUST be 3.8" x 2.5" to get them cheap (3 for $51 w/o marking or soldermask, 3 for $75 with marking and soldermask, 3 for $98 4 layer with marking and soldermask)

Bean
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2016-01-04 14:22
    ExpressPCB also has other choices if you want other sizes and options. I used their 2 board double sided option for producing 2 panels with 24 small power supply regulators per panel.
  • You might want to check out ITEAD Studio. You can get 10 2layer 5x5cm boards for $10, or 10 2layer 10x10cm boards for $20. They also offer larger sizes and 4 layer boards. Keep in mind that it can take a month or so to receive your boards from ITEAD, depending on how you ship it.

I have also heard people on this forum talk about https://oshpark.com/. I haven't used this service before, but have heard good things about it.
  • If you decide to go with ExpressPCB (and I have used them; they deliver a quality product promptly) for goodness sake, get this checker. It is (or at least was) just 20 bucks to his paypal account and will likely save you a world of hurt. I have no association with the person except as a happy customer.
  • Elaine wrote: »
    I have been looking at custom PCB creation for a bit now and all i can find are insanely expensive prices. Can you guys give me ideas of where you order from?
    It would help if we knew a little more about you project.

Size of board(s)
    Number of layers
    Silk/Mask?
    Number of components?
  • If you think you will be needing more than a few boards made every year, then you may be better off in the long run if you avoid any pcb manufacturing service that requires proprietary software which can't generate standard Gerber files.

The three most popular pcb design software packages are probably Eagle, Diptrace, and KiCad, and there are others. All can generate standard Gerber files which can be used by any pcb manufacturer to make your boards. All have free versions available. They do have their own idiosyncrasies and differ in various ways, so you'd have to do some research or maybe just give them all a try.

The cheapest prices for boards will be from "batching" manufacturers. The drawback is that it may take a few weeks to get your boards. Some of the more popular pcb manufacturers, all of which will happily accept your Gerber files, are ITead, Seeed Studio, Osh Park, Elecrow, and of course, many others.
  • I've also used ExpressPCB several times and have been happy with the boards. I also like the quick turnaround.

I haven't tried this but Copper Connection will apparently open ExpressPCB files and create Gerber files from them.

http://www.robotroom.com/CopperConnection/
  • If you don't mind waiting a month or more for shipping, from what I've seen, www.dirtypcbs.com can't be beat in terms of value. Not the best quality, but you get a damn decent board for next to nothing.
  • itead and smart-prototyping will turn-around a PCB in 3 days. It's the shipping back that'll get ya. When I'm under a time crunch you can almost next-day it from China.
  • I think expresspcb is a little bit expensive when compared with other manufacturers...
  • Publison wrote: »
    Elaine wrote: »
    It would help if we knew a little more about you project.

Size of board(s)
    Number of layers
    Silk/Mask?
    Number of components?
    It is a kind of DC/DC moudual I am going to make. I need about 20 pcbs~
  • Bean wrote: »

You MUST create the board with their software, but it is pretty good.

The board MUST be 3.8" x 2.5" to get them cheap (3 for $51 w/o marking or soldermask, 3 for $75 with marking and soldermask, 3 for $98 4 layer with marking and soldermask)

Bean

Their designing software is great. I have used it!
  • Try elecrow - they are very cheap but seem to have some good reviews. The other customary cheap places makers use are IteadStudio and SeeedStudio. May also be worth checking into Hackvana.
  • Bean wrote: »

I've never made my own board but I hear good things about OSHPark. From their website:
    We bring you high quality, lead free boards (ENIG finish), manufactured in the USA, and shipped for free to anywhere in the world.

2 layer boards are $5 per square inch (with 3 copies of your board included in that price) and ship in under 12 calendar days from ordering.

So 3.8" x 2.5" = 9.5 sq/in * $5 = $47.50 with free shipping and you get the same 3 boards.

I'm assuming marking and soldermask but I cannot confirm that.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Oshpark is good for prototypes. Excellent pcbs! See www.oshpark.com for specs and pics.
  • I would do 3 with OSHpark.com, USA-made purple boards with gold enig
    Will take 7-9 business days for a to your door turn a round.
    Though there will be some mice-bites on the sides, but a file will take care of that.
    You can get a mylar stencil from oshstencils.com and solderpaste from digikey.

Once you have tested that everything works, order 20 more for China like Itead studio.
    Not as high quality and a more bumpy tin (terrible for 0.5mm qfn)
  • PCB Shopper

Compare 25 places at once, based on your needs - size, features, quantity, time.

There are also reviews - some in great detail - so you can get a decent idea of quality and performance.
  • hatallica wrote: »
    PCB Shopper

Compare 25 places at once, based on your needs - size, features, quantity, time.

There are also reviews - some in great detail - so you can get a decent idea of quality and performance.

WOW! That is very cool! And, you pays your money and you takes yr' choice. Almost a factor a 10. Guess it depends on your priorities.

• That is a cool site. I wonder how much the advertising influences the outcomes? :)
  • cbmeeks wrote: »
    Bean wrote: »

I've never made my own board but I hear good things about OSHPark. From their website:

^^ Sorry yes, this assumes you don't want to go with oshpark for whatever reason. We love OSHPark and know the owner and staff - they do an amazing job with their boards. So by all means use them, but depending on how large your 20 boards are, you may end up deciding to forego OSHpark and go instead with one of the cheap chinese fabs.
    That is a cool site. I wonder how much the advertising influences the outcomes? :)

I run PCBShopper. Advertising has absolutely no effect on the price comparison list. PCBShopper works by fetching prices directly from the manufacturers' sites and displaying them, unaltered, to the user. The prices on PCBShopper are the same as what you'll see at the manufacturers' sites (if they're not, it's a bug; let me know and I'll fix it). Also, I do not get any commissions for referring customers.

Advertising also has no effect on which manufacturers are included in the price comparison. Companies do not pay to be included. I choose which companies to include based on my judgement of how interesting they are to electronics hobbyists and professionals. That includes how well known they are, what country they are in (if a company is in a part of the world that's not yet represented in the list, I'm more likely to add them; if they're in a country where I already list several manufacturers, I'm less likely to add them), and whether their pricing structure is different from the companies that are already in the list.

- Bob Alexander
    PCBShopper.com
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-01-07 21:03
    rea5245 wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »
    That is a cool site. I wonder how much the advertising influences the outcomes? :)

I run PCBShopper. Advertising has absolutely no effect on the price comparison list. PCBShopper works by fetching prices directly from the manufacturers' sites and displaying them, unaltered, to the user. The prices on PCBShopper are the same as what you'll see at the manufacturers' sites (if they're not, it's a bug; let me know and I'll fix it). Also, I do not get any commissions for referring customers.

Advertising also has no effect on which manufacturers are included in the price comparison. Companies do not pay to be included. I choose which companies to include based on my judgement of how interesting they are to electronics hobbyists and professionals. That includes how well known they are, what country they are in (if a company is in a part of the world that's not yet represented in the list, I'm more likely to add them; if they're in a country where I already list several manufacturers, I'm less likely to add them), and whether their pricing structure is different from the companies that are already in the list.

- Bob Alexander
    PCBShopper.com

Bob, welcome to the forums!

Didn't mean to provoke a negative attitude.

As a moderator, I am always prowling for SPAM.

Your site looks great, and hope many of the members here use it.
    Bob, welcome to the forums!

Didn't mean to provoke a negative attitude.

No problem, and no offense taken. And I didn't intend to sound negative. There are lots of "top ten companies" or "top ten products" lists out there on the web that are really just paid advertising, and someone coming across PCBShopper for the first time might not immediately know whether it's truly objective. So it's fair to ask whether PCBShopper's price comparison is objective, and I just try answer the question completely.

- Bob Alexander
    PCBShopper.com
  • ElaineElaine Posts: 8
    edited 2016-01-22 08:12
    I found it recently:
    Keep everything to less than 100 x 100 and the price is very low.
    Everything can be made in 100 x 100 modules.
    I received pcbs from this site two days ago: PCBWay. Their boards are cost effective, but the SMT price seems a little high though acceptable.

And many thanks for your suggestion guys. I would try them next time.
  • Thanks for the follow-up, Elaine. Very happy that it worked well for you.

Understanding the pricing models is a great way to manage costs for the PCB:
    Magic size thresholds - often keeping dimensions to no more than 5cm or 10cm will help to realize cost savings. Note that a 2" (5.08cm) dimension will be rounded up to 10cm with many of the package deals.

Magic quantity thresholds - these vary greatly (3, 5, 8, 10, etc.). When I have been flexible on quantity, I have found some surprising deals.

That said, I am inclined to use a good price from a familiar vendor than I am to save the last few percent with a new vendor.