Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Long lost Propeller board returns for Christmas. Don't you hate it when people tidy up? — Parallax Forums

Long lost Propeller board returns for Christmas. Don't you hate it when people tidy up?

Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
edited 2015-12-28 18:40 in General Discussion
Earlier this year I welded a DIP Prop to a Raspberry Pi proto-board. Together with an SMD regulator and other SMD bits and bobs. I was quite proud of my first SMD soldering attempts. That board came in useful when Loopy and I were getting Open Spin working on WIFI routers.

I got distracted by work and such for a while but when I came back to the project my Propeller board was gone. Along with a Prop Plug and a nice blue LCD. I could not find it anywhere, not in my desk or my project boxes or tool boxes, nowhere. Did I take it to the office? No. Did I leave it on the bus? No (I have previously left one of Clusso's beautiful Triblades on the bus. Got it back from the bus company. I guess now a days they might call the bomb squad!) Am I going crazy? Don't answer.

'er in doors had been tidying the house. Did she know where it might have been tidied to? There is a long tradition around here of hiding my "mess" into various shoe boxes and stuffing it into cupboards and such. No.

Just happens we are moving house. Whilst packing everything I opened up a old tin box at the back of a shelf , which for sure is not mine, lo and behold there is my Prop board, Prop Plug and LCD!

Anyone around here know how that happened? No.

Don't you just hate it when your tidying obsessed better half sterilizes your work space?

Still, this story has a happy ending, Prop and I are reunited for New Year:)

Sorry for the ramble. Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Mmm, constantly, especially now that I lost my own space after the last move :(
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Earlier this year I welded a DIP Prop to a Raspberry Pi proto-board. Together with an SMD regulator and other SMD bits and bobs. I was quite proud of my first SMD soldering attempts. That board came in useful when Loopy and I were getting Open Spin working on WIFI routers.

I got distracted by work and such for a while but when I came back to the project my Propeller board was gone. Along with a Prop Plug and a nice blue LCD. I could not find it anywhere, not in my desk or my project boxes or tool boxes, nowhere. Did I take it to the office? No. Did I leave it on the bus? No (I have previously left one of Clusso's beautiful Triblades on the bus. Got it back from the bus company. I guess now a days they might call the bomb squad!) Am I going crazy? Don't answer.

'er in doors had been tidying the house. Did she know where it might have been tidied to? There is a long tradition around here of hiding my "mess" into various shoe boxes and stuffing it into cupboards and such. No.

Just happens we are moving house. Whilst packing everything I opened up a old tin box at the back of a shelf , which for sure is not mine, lo and behold there is my Prop board, Prop Plug and LCD!

Don't you just hate it when your tidying obsessed better half sterilizes your work space?

Just today, I am cleaning my Jim Williams workbench. I have found at least a dozen half done projects, ( mostly ercos' made me buy ebay). Luckily, I am the only one to blame. I can keep out of problems by not making any accusations. )
  • Yes. And now that my last has left the house, I finally get to lay claim to a workspace!

It is going to be awesome! Maybe I can leave something in a state and actually return to find it in the same state, minus whatever the cats may do.

(I don't fault the cats)

• My wife amd I have a standing joke that she has OCD, anything out of place on a counter, table, or floor will be picked up or moved in short order, either by me or her. But my room is off limits, so if I have lost something, I am usually the one to blame.
  • Oh mah gawd, yes. My wife and I have had a couple of major rows about this. The big problem is she not only tidies things into boxes, she THROWS THEM AWAY. I finally had to draw a line at the door of my office -- fortunately we have no children so each of us has a room for our projects -- and said, you do not clean in here, ever, period, no matter how messy it is. That is not being "helpful." And it took a few years but she finally pretty much got that memo.

But it's not a total solution. We still have to share the garage where the messier things like rockcutting and woodworking get done, and things have gone missing. Most recently I loaned her a portable alarm clock which had actually been a Christmas gift from her to me so she could use it on a trip. One day she asked me to take out the garbage and when I lifted the lid of the can in the kitchen, there was my clock.

"What the hell?" I said.

"Oh, it wasn't working," she said.

"Well that's probably because the batteries are dead." Which they were.

Hello!
    Me? No. My cats and I agree on my work area. They are into everything else.

Now as to your Open Spin project that both you and Loopy were working on, currently Google has it at R-O status (Read-Only status.) they actively are convincing people to export such things to Github.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    No, no, OpenSpin is not our project. OpenSpin is by Roy Eltham. That google repo is old and out of date. OpenSpin now lives on Github under parallaxinc.

Loopy and I only got openspin compiled and running under OpenWRT so that we could run it on cheap MIPS based routers. Also a loader to go with it so you can Propgram a Prop connected to a WIFI router.

• Oh okay. My mistake. He needs to work out a migration plan. It, ah, is read-only and as such he can't do anything with it there.

Roy has already migrated openspin to github under parallaxinc.
    Roy has already migrated openspin to github under parallaxinc.
    Excellent!
    ----
    Erco? Why is your robot over there playing with a big strange looking monster?

edited 2015-12-29 16:14
    OK, I might have to give up. The long lost Propeller is lost again.

We moved house today. As I sit here surrounded by boxes and packing creates I have no idea where anything might be anymore. Did my beloved Propeller make the trip? Will I ever find it again in this chaos?

This move has also sabotaged any hope of a Christmas break project. (See my other recent thread). With any luck we will be sorted for some project action over the long New Year weekend.

Perhaps everything I try to make in future should begin with some kind of locator beacon so that I can find it again :)

Perhaps everything I try to make in future should begin with some kind of locator beacon so that I can find it again :)

lol! I was just thinking "you need a new project whose sole purpose is to track/locate your other projects!"
    I'm looking forward to a project in the new year using LoRa wireless modules. Low power, low data rate wireless communications up to 15Km. Just waiting for the cheap LoRa modules I ordered to arrive.

Not much good for location finding, the signal is pretty much at the noise floor. At least I'll know if I'm min the right city :)

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Oh heater!

Haven't you learned to pack all your goodies into a special box or two, clearly labelled.

You have to apply your programming standards to packing too ;)
    </tongue-in-cheek>
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    Oh heater!

Haven't you learned to pack all your goodies into a special box or two, clearly labelled.

You have to apply your programming standards to packing too ;)
    </tongue-in-cheek>

The logical order of things is, you better pack and unpack your own boxes, the unenlightened do not hold the same reverence to inanimate object's.