Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Quick look at the new Elev8-FC — Parallax Forums

Quick look at the new Elev8-FC

JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
edited 2015-11-21 23:32 in Robotics
This is obviously not Parallax's frame kit, but I use it to make sure the code handles well in a variety of frame sizes, and it has less mass to cause damage if I crash it, which is kind of important while doing work on the altitude hold and inverted flight recovery. :-)

I call this "the throw test":

Comments

• Showoff ! :)

Looks great Jason, very responsive. Is that with the new ECS's?
  • No, actually, but they're even better than these.
  • Whats the price and availability of the new FC? What are the specs?
  • Price hasn't been locked down yet, but ballpark of $125. Expected availability early to mid December.

Hardware includes a Propeller, an LSM9DS1 gyro/accelerometer/magnetometer, a WS2812B status LED, LPS22H barometric pressure sensor, 8 remote inputs, 6 ESC outputs, I2C I/O header, WS2812B output (for chaining LEDs), an expansion port, and a piezo speaker.

Includes open source code to drive it all, with resources left over for user code and experimenting.

The current code requires about 23Kb, and has two cogs free. I'm hoping to get the size down a little more before release, but there are also still features to go in. The software will handle PWM or SBUS input. (actually, removing the one you don't use would free up some memory, but only one is running at a time).
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    Hi Jason,

I am planning to get an fc when they are release for sale. I will be looking at temperature calibration and compensation. I did a little of this with an MPU6050. So, I already have a testing setup.

My understanding is that each individual gyro has it's own behavior when it comes to temperature compensation. I've looked at your GitHub code and can't find the calibration routines. And I know I am missing it, but I can't seem to find how temperature compensation is being applied.

Thanks

Rich
  • The test (calibration) portion of it is done in GroundStation on the Gyro Calibration tab. The raw gyro values are read from the sensor along with temperature, and plotted. When a range of temperatures is applied, the line becomes quite obvious. The code does a least-squares line fit to compute the slope and intercept of the line for each gyro axis, and turns these into the scale and offset values used in the quad.

In the quad itself it all happens inside the sensors code (in PASM). The current temperature is read along with the gyro values. The gyro values have a constant offset subtracted, the take the current temperature, divide it by the pre-computed factor, and apply that offset to that temperature channel. Look at the ComputeDrift call in Sensors_Driver.spin (in Firmware-C)

J
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    neat... thanks.