Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DIY with a Purpose — Parallax Forums

DIY with a Purpose

Jolly good Friday fun watching this good old boy make bottle openers with blowtorches and power tools from whatever's layin' around the shed. Git 'er done!

Kiddies, these are for opening Pepsi bottles only. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Comments

• I love the sense of frantic desperation the time lapse imparts upon his quest to build a bottle opener.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    I love the sense of frantic desperation the time lapse imparts upon his quest to build a bottle opener.

Time is of the essence. If you take too long making an opener, the beer PEPSI will get warm.

• Thanks for finding this particular video.
    I like seeing this type of thing because it makes me realize how one can use the
    same shapes applied in a different manner with different things to get a good end result.
    I've opened many a "Pepsi" bottle using alternate methods.

gg
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Hmm...

Why would anyone go to so much trouble to open a Budweiser?

• Anyone that has ever been in the Army in Germany may or may not know this one. The bracket that held the Glove box in place on a Deuce and a Half made a perfect bottle opener!!!!
  • heater wrote:
    Why would anyone go to so much trouble to open a Budweiser?
    Good point. And his taste in music isn't much better. Did you notice the chipmunks in the background of one of the segments?

-Phil
  • Heck you can open any beer can with a lighter, or any other piece of metal/wood/plastic.

Destroying a perfect working screw driver is not needed at all, just put your fist around the neck of the bottle and pop off the cap with ANYTHING suitable over your thump.

Screwdriver, spatula, piece of wood, cigarette lighter, whatever.

And on them American bottles you even can unscrew the cap.

So why destroy valuable tools to build a bottle opener? I do not get this.

OK. I am German. I never had problems opening a bottle of beer. Until I moved into the US of A. Now I do not do it because American beer is not made for human consumption. Just not drinkable. Sadly.

Mike
    edited 2015-11-14 01:39
    msrobots wrote: »
    I am German. I never had problems opening a bottle of beer. Until I moved into the US of A. Now I do not do it because American beer is not made for human consumption. Just not drinkable. Sadly.

Amen, mein bruder! There's only one thing worse than American beer.

<crickets>

LIGHT American beer. A complete waste.

Gimme a nice German or Austrian Weißbier any day. Pity I can't find Edelweiss in grocery stores anymore. What's the point of living mitout a nice big Hefetrüb?

http://stawskiusa.com/Products/edelweiss-beer-weissbier-hefetrub/

• Stuttgarter Hoffbrau, Holiday version during the Christmas season was one of my favorites!!!
    Related: Why do robots and beer go so well together? Can pure programmers enjoy beer the same as roboticists?
    erco,

In my long years of detailed research into this topic I have found that "pure" programmers are pretty much powered by beer.

But this is true of engineers in general. As Janes Watt said in a report on his steam engine progress to his investor Matthew Boulton:

"We have a lot of talented engineers in the company but I'm having difficulty finding one that will stay sober long enough to actually build anything"
  • A good roboticist drinks their American beer out of a can. Drinks twice as much, takes more breaks to rest the weary brain, and knowing he is doing his part to keep the price of aluminum down.

• EKU 28. There is a reason they come in small bottles.
    koehler wrote: »
    EKU 28. There is a reason they come in small bottles.

I had Eku Kulminator in München. Tasty and powerful!

• Anyone that really is capable of DIY would simply make their own beer. It can be brewed in a 5gal plastic carboy with a tap at the bottom. When ready, the whole carboy is simply moved to a spare refrigerator and dispenses beer without bothering with bottles.

The only hazzard with this scheme is that the week following the beer becoming avaiable is a complete loss. Even if you restrict your own consumptions, the rush of visitors sampling your brew will prevent any productive work getting done.
    edited 2015-11-15 16:13
    When I bring home a warm beer, I barely have the patience to put it in the freezer and wait a few minutes to chill it. There's zero chance I could wait weeks or months to make it. Life's too short.

All this talk has made me thirsty. I tracked down Edelweiss near me. Hops to it!
    Who said you had to wait? The pubs are still opening everyday whilst it's brewing :)

I gave up the idea of brewing beer. Actually managed to make some fine brews but the problem is you suddenly find you have a lot of friends who end up behaving very badly.
  • My rule on Beer brewing: "Do not try this at home. Do it at somebody else's house".
  • Must have been one heck of a day in that shop... I counted, oh 10 beers opened. A shame to waste any of them!

And hey... American micro-brewery numbers are in rapid growth. There's no trouble in finding decent brew in the states now days ;)

dgately
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    erco wrote: »
    When I bring home a warm beer, I barely have the patience to put it in the freezer and wait a few minutes to chill it.
    That's why I learned to enjoy it at room temperature. Also seems to have more flavor like that.
    There's zero chance I could wait weeks or months to make it. Life's too short.
    Pubs are there for the waiting period, and multiple overlapping batches avoids dry periods.

Beer should not be chilled. 10°C will do fine. Too cold and you are killing the flavour.

Those other drinks, Bud, Fosters, Carlsberg, Heineken etc, are better chilled to remove the taste else they start to taste like wee.

I'm very impressed with the growth of the micro brew industry state side. Never thought I would see that happen. Seems they are seriously getting into tea over there as well recently. What is going on?

• I've been told the proper temperature to serve beer is whatever temperature it was fermented at. Ales are usually fermented "warm", e.g. the 10 deg C Heater mentioned, but lagers are usually fermented much colder, so they are served colder.

I think the US is finally recovering from Prohibition. There use to be many breweries making diverse styles of beer, but most were killed by Prohibition. Many Americans born since Prohibition had never really tasted anything but the "American Industrial" stuff that was passed off as beer. Once they did, they never went back. Another part of it was homebrewing, which was illegal in the US until 1978 when Carter signed a bill that legalized it for home use. Once people started brewing, they quickly figured out that Bud and its ilk were but a sad caricature of what beer should be. Most of the microbrewers started off as homebrewers.
    A fun fact from http://beer.stackexchange.com/questions/50/will-temperature-changes-cause-a-beer-to-skunk-or-otherwise-spoil

The photochemical reaction that skunks beer occurs very quickly; a well-hopped beer in clear glass can become noticeably offensive with just 30 seconds of exposure to sunshine.
    For this reason we drink beer in the dark, smoke filled, back rooms of old pubs. Sadly a vanishing tradition.

Of course sunlight is not usually a problem back in old Blighty :)

• It is the DIY that one does after they open the beer bottle that is the true measure of accomplishment.

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/beer-bottle-houses
  • Loopy, You have too much time on yours hands. :)

Interesting Heineken container article, though. Thanks for sharing!
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    erco wrote: »
    A fun fact from http://beer.stackexchange.com/questions/50/will-temperature-changes-cause-a-beer-to-skunk-or-otherwise-spoil

The photochemical reaction that skunks beer occurs very quickly; a well-hopped beer in clear glass can become noticeably offensive with just 30 seconds of exposure to sunshine.

At one time all beer was sold in stubby brown glass bottles here (Ontario Canada), and they were an excellent choice for preserving the flavor and quality of the beer. Of course the marketing departments of various brewers got into the act and made the shape and color of the bottles a major selling point. Sadly, the majority of the beer drinkers swallowed this line of Smile hook line, and sinker.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-11-17 06:11
    Well, I never had any problems with beer spoilage. Mostly, the problems were due to not enough beer being available or an abundance of empty bottles.

And yes, consuming beer does make one open to suggestions and ideas that a sober mind would easily dismiss. I have spent decades overcoming 'that belief system'. I even suspect that beer ads are a subtle form of mind control.

• The only problem with current American micro-brewery scene is that it is 99% about ales.

After 20 years on the west coast, where my alcohol intake has steadily declined to basically zero I finally figured it out earlier this year. Only Lager I could find locally was Dos Equis. Even though its not a premium beer, it helped drive home the reason for my drinking problem.

Now that I'm on the East coast, and can sneak across the Peace Bridge, I can get back to some fine Canadian brews, and recover from this decade long dry spell.