Robotic Xylophone

2»

Comments

• The Intel creation above had bars that weren't strictly rectangular but not nearly "pie" shaped.

They sounded pretty good.
    MOV OUTA, PEACE <div>Rick </div><div>"I've stopped using programming languages with Garbage Collection, they keep deleting my source code!!"</div>
  • Would solid aluminum bar stock be a good call for something like that, if secured at one end only. make an interesting frame, if you wan't to play it from the center.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 21,402
    edited October 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    To get any kind of sound, the bars have to be secured at their nodal points, 22.4% from the end or ends. Even hanging chimes work best when attached at that point. Held from the end, all you get is a dull tink or thud, depending on what you strike it with.

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • The bars on xylophone more or less float on two posts, the bars on a music box are secured at one end. Would a music box on a bigger scale sound any good.
  • Music box tines must be bolted tight to a heavy rigid frame & sounding board, which could get pretty massive compared to xylophone bars supported at their nodes by a lightweight skeleton frame.
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • How about a wraught iron frame, with an oak subframe.
  • Scratched this up earlier
    640 x 480 - 77K
  • The cheap & fast erco version uses a $7 Walmart xylophone. :) Phil's is fit for Carnegie Hall, mine's barely fit for next week's Maker Faire.

1757 x 2247 - 680K
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • I like it!

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • Thanks, that's high praise from the Master!

- Pablo Picasso
  • Here's a kids toy which shows some of the challenges of robotics. Start those kids off with a dose of reality! It requires user calibration for each note, goes slow, and occasionally hits two notes. Maybe by showing kids these issues early, so they'll say, "when I grow up, I'm gonna fix that".

- Pablo Picasso