Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DC-KIII Laser Engraver - Moshiboard retrofit — Parallax Forums

DC-KIII Laser Engraver - Moshiboard retrofit

Hi everyone! I have a project in front of me that I could really use some advice on. I purchased a 40w Chinese laser engraver and after fighting with the HORRIBLE software (MoshiDraw) and "SEEMINGLY GLITCHY" controller board (MoshiBoard), I'm seriously considering replacing the unmarked 40 pin dip with propeller retrofit.

After quite a bit of google fu I was able to find this thread where someone has done something similar with a PIC.
http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=909#p7054
http://www.buildlog.net/forum/download/file.php?id=2146

I couldn't find any good hits on LASER retrofit, although I did find some of the CNC threads. What I would like to do is, export my designs as ?gcode? (several possible tool chains from my understanding) to place as a file on an SD card, the propeller will read file from sd card and control 2 bipolar stepper motors and a laser fire, with x and y HOME limit switches. (this would be the initial configuration, given existing components.)

My biggest issues is that I have about 0 experience with stepper motors. Servos, yes. Steppers, no. I get the underlying principle, just still a little bit unclear on the easiest way to use EXISTING hardware (keep in mind, this is a $300 machine and the DSP controller upgrades sell for twice what the machine costs!!!) The place where I keep getting lost is the existing objects I'm looking at output direction and step. I need to control 4x -TEA3718 stepper drivers and??? I've hooked up the Logic 8 and going to be taking a peek under the hood.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated! (I'll attach pictures next post)

Joe

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Stepper motors are no more difficult to control than servo motors, particularly when you already have the motor drivers. All they typically need at that point is a high or low signal for direction and a pulse for each step the motor should move.

You need to monitor and record the voltage and timing of the signals that control each piece of hardware (motors & laser) over their range of speed, motion, and power as applicable.

The home switches need to be monitored when moving the laser to the zero position, and limit switches when moving away from the home position. Position is determined by initially moving to the home position and then counting steps away from or towards home.