Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
15-20 minute struggle to sign in — Parallax Forums

15-20 minute struggle to sign in

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2015-10-08 18:12 in General Discussion
Hi all, I am in Iceweasel on Debian Jessie 32bit...
While Yahoo and Bloomberg come up quite nicely, getting into Parallax.com or forums.parallax.com via Google or Yahoo is a very long wait.

Finally, just entering forums.parallax.com and by-passing the 'assistance' of any search engine makes the whole process happen responsively.

While I can put plenty of blame on the search engines, there must be some reason that Bloomberg and Yahoo News behave well while Parallax.com hangs. Are we getting a bit rained on in the cloud. Has anyone else suffered this?

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    No.

What did you do exactly?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-10-08 18:18
    Exactly what I said i did, attempt to reach the Parallax Forums via a Google or Yahoo search.

And even after reaching the Parallax Forums, any further requests hang.... so I wait for a few minutes to get to the front door, wait a few minutes for a log-in, and a few minutes for more...

I think if I just stay with it and wait it all out, I could get logged in in about 5-6 minutes. But it appears to ONLY be the Parallax Forums that respond so slow.

What exactly does your 'No' mean?
    Loopy,
    What exactly does your 'No' mean?
    For example: I arrive at this public internet connected PC. I search for "parallax" using google. I select parallax.com from the returned results. I select the forum from there and long in. Here I am. Almost as quick as I can click and type.

The internet is a fickle thing. Never to be trusted to work when you want it to.
    edited 2015-10-08 18:46
    Okay, I guess that I should have made mention that this isn't the first time that I have noticed a problem with my Parallax sites being slow to come up, while the rest of the internet seems fine (except the www.forth.org site; that seems to have banned Taiwan).

IOW, I made mention of this because it has been occuring with some regularity. I would not bother everyone with a one-time event.

Is that exactly what you need? I am not sure how to exactly respond to vague requests for exactness.
  • Why go through a search site to get here? Just type in the address and hit enter, takes maybe 10 seconds.
    edited 2015-10-08 18:56
    It's impossible to be exact.

We have no idea what the state of the internet connectivity is from wherever anyone is. We can only tell what it is from where we are.

Thus answering your original question: "Has anyone else suffered this?"

No.
  • Yes, excellent point... which I have confirmed by finally getting logged in that way.

It seems that all the search engines get caught up in a loop of God-knows-what; ad-ware, data-mining, etc.

I do admit that Google and Yahoo do let one get very sloppy with their typing. And that is why it seems easier to use that to precisely type in the name of every site you frequent.
  • I like to use these things called "bookmarks". No matter where I'm at, here is just two clicks away. No typing required.
    edited 2015-10-08 23:01
    I use a notebook computer sans bookmarks and without history in the browser as it might be stolen or lost at any time. The Iceweasel is even a no-frills configuration without add-ons. No passwords retained on a key chain or in the browser. I have had trouble with one rather psychotic person snooping my browser in the past year.

Of course, there is an added benefit of less clutter.

When I did use bookmarks, the list got so long that it because yet another item to manage.

In sum, it is easier to eliminate clutter than to manage clutter -- and computers are very good at accumulation of clutter.

+++++++++++
    It is just easier for me to accept having to type in forums.parallax.com every time than it is to accept more and more clutter at this point.

++++++++++++++
    And I really mentioned this because I thought Parallax might want to know that it is nearly impossible to log in to their site via a search engine from Taiwan.

I wasn't expecting any profound immediate fix.
  • I use a notebook computer sans bookmarks and without history in the browser as it might be stolen or lost at any time. The Iceweasel is even a no-frills configuration without add-ons. No passwords retained on a key chain or in the browser. I have had trouble with one rather psychotic person snooping my browser in the past year.

Isn't that what passwords and screen locking are for?

edited 2015-10-08 23:15
    Yes... until someone asks you to borrow the notebook for a moment while you go to the bathroom.

And a theif might want to first take a crack at snooping your device before selling it off for the hardware. There is a chance to find credit card or banking on-line if one just relies on screen lock and passwords.

I live in Asia, but I suspect I'd do the same in L.A., N.Y.C, or points inbetween.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    I tried to search for parallax forums on yahoo (I normally don't use yahoo), and while the forum came up instantly as first choice, I never arrived there when I clicked it.. as we know, the search engines now don't present you with a clean link anymore (unless you use ixquick.com, which you probably should anyway..), but send you through their own machinery first.
    So the 'link' from yahoo to the parallax forums is a convoluted hidden scrambled tracking-something, and it never ended up at parallax. Because it got caught in my ghostery and noscript filters, and rightly so.

Just use a decent search engine for everything except when you need to find something really obscure, at that time use google in anonymous mode.

-Tor