Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Suggestions to shield this Prop device? — Parallax Forums

Suggestions to shield this Prop device?

I sent a gadget to a client and unfortunately they installed put it inches from an air handler (above) and some type of air system directly below as well. Both of the air systems are metal boxes. My system( the black box) sits in the gap between them next to the electrical outlet. I can't tell from the pics they sent if there is a motor in the lower system, but there is definitely some motor controls on the top unit that is visible. The system is experiencing random problems, and I will be flying out to solve it next week. The wires that are ran to the module cannot be ran anywhere else, so I am stuck trying to solve the noise issue where it is. My first thought is to see if there is enough space in the front of the lower air unit so that the door will still close, and mount a plywood backing there vertically oriented and mount my box on it so that it is vertical and facing out. But there is still the proximity to the top air handler to deal with, and since it is random I can't sit and wait for hours to see if it is going to misfire. The other idea is to get some aluminum conduit(taken to ground on the AC outlet) and try to shield as much of the cables as possible.

Any suggestions on what to do here?
640 x 480 - 95K

Comments

• T Chap wrote: »
    The wires that are ran to the module cannot be ran anywhere else

How are the wires used. Power? if data, what sort? Can you switch to some sort of balanced signal if they're data lines?

• T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2015-10-08 01:23
    Can't switch to anything, the wires are ran through walls and are not able to be replaced. I am stuck trying to shield the wires as is. Lots of 5v data lines into the Prop or I2C expanders that feed the prop. Noise on the lines is causing issues randomly. For all I know some of the noise can even be directly hitting the PCB with the Prop on it.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Hard to make helpful suggestions without more info about the signals, signal lines, and possible noise sources, but in general:

Put it in a shielded metal case if not done already.
    Shield where possible, ie wrap cables using aluminum tape & ground at one point.
    Clamping diodes, terminating resistors, and capacitors on signal lines.

Good luck. Random noise problems are a bear. Even worse when far away.
    edited 2015-10-08 02:49
    The signal that I believe is one of the main random issues is a 5V signal on wire in a CAT 5 that is unshielded that comes into the board into a 40106. The inputs on this Cat5 are from a Prop about 10' away, and the inputs are high at all times, active low. Weak pulldowns at the inputs of the 40106 around 100k maybe, and .1uf on each input. I can drop in 4.7k pulldowns instead, but if the signals are active high(rarely does a signal go low) I am not sure this is going to benefit.

https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/cd/cd40106bc.pdf

After the 40106 it goes to a PCF8574 8 input i2c expander IC. The prop is picking up random signals on these inputs from the 40106 during the i2c read. So the noise could be hitting the Cat5 before the box. The box is sheilded but they are keeping the top steel lids off so the top of the box is exposed, certainly putting the lids back on will help.

I am thinking of getting another steel enclosure, put my box inside it(11"x10"x3.25" OD), take the bigger box to earth. Then add some aluminum flex conduit around the cables to cover as much as possible, take the aluminum to earth.

I am going to check if there metal enclosures for the air have any voltage difference from the ground on the wall. If there is no difference, I am considering taking all that metal to ground.
  • Is the power to your device isolated from the motor power? It amazes me how often I see sensitive devices powered on the same circuit as something that has a large inductive load.
    edited 2015-10-08 03:07
    Well it was supposed to be on a separate breaker, appears to be on it's on but this needs more research.
  • T Chap wrote: »
    ...I can't sit and wait for hours to see if it is going to misfire.

You may have to do just that in order to understand exactly what the problem is. Then, you'll be able to apply the proper solution.

Will you have a scope available to investigate the suspect noise?

• my scope doesn't fly well, last time had to replace the tube.
  • I have seen some pretty strange ground loop issues causing problems like this ....

* A scope is a must

* The first thing I would look at is how well the micro is electrically isolated from the mains. Some of those transformers do not provide adequate galvanic isolation ...

* Diagnose with an isolated battery as the power supply if you need to

* Earth ground is NOT the same as micro controller ground ... Don't share them with one another

* Don't be fooled from what's an insulator versus a conductor ... To high voltage, an insulator is just a dielectric waiting for a parasitic capacitor to form. (especially with AC voltages)
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    T Chap wrote: »
    ... The prop is picking up random signals on these inputs from the 40106 during the i2c read. So the noise could be hitting the Cat5 before the box.

What exactly does 'picking up random signals' mean ?

Is the PCF8574 10' away ?
    You can do various things to harden serial links.
    You can check data more than once, but clock noise to a HW device can be harder.
    There, readback/check/retry can limit deviations to a short time, and it also gives a disturbance count.

Relays switching mains can generate signal edges sub ns that are very hard to eliminate entirely.
    edited 2015-10-08 12:19
    The PCF8574 in on the Prop board, 2" away. I had considered what you mean by checking the PCF several times for an input versus one time. On simple direct inputs to the Prop, I always check several times for a debounce:
    IF ina[0] == 1
       waitcnt(100_000) 
           IF ina[0] == 1
              'this is a real input if it go this far

On the I2C read I am not checking twice, and this is easy to add another read in case the first detection was just noise. This may help with some misfiring issues, but if there is too much noise on the encoders, BLDC hall sensors then shielding and distance from the air handler is the only option I can come up with.

If using aluminum tape as suggested, how do you connect a wire to the tape? Alligator clips, or other circular hose type clamp around the cables/tape with a wire wedged inside to make contact with the aluminum?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-10-08 18:10
    Perhaps you can simply rent a scope at the site's destination. You might even find other test equipment available that make this easier to evaluate.

A good scope is going to make it so much easier to narrow down the source of the problem that it is almost absurd to go without.

I suspect that you can get someone in just about any major city to rent you an oscilloscope for a day. Start out with the Yellow Pages and contact a local 'sound service' or 'radio-TV repair'. And there are local HAM radio clubs that might certainly know someone that is willing to rent a spare.
    This may help with some misfiring issues, but if there is too much noise on the encoders, BLDC hall sensors then shielding and distance from the air handler is the only option I can come up with.
    What does "some misfiring issues" mean, exactly ?
    You need to pin down the exact failure modes, to really know how to attack this.

Try and cause a like-failure on your bench is a good start.

In the past, we've built a simple 'Mains Relay Wand' that has a DPDT Relay-oscillator (DC supply+NC contact+resistor+electrolytic cap make a chattering oscillator) and you switch mains on the other contact, into a short loop (all insulated, of course).
    Wave that around your working unit, and try to mimic reported failure modes.
    edited 2015-10-08 23:30
    Just spoke to the AC guys that put in their stuff. The unit several inches above my box is an air damper, a 24VDC motor air valve. To the immediate left is an electronic air filter(he thinks something like an ionizer, it zaps air "with electricity" he says. Just 12" from my box also is the 240VAC main compressor for the entire unit! So all the air system is within a foot of my box. He says I have a good 6" gap between the sheet metal and the door on the systems, so I can try to find a metal box and mount it in that space, take it to earth and mount my box inside of it. Then put the wires as far as I can reach inside aluminum tape or flex, taken to earth.

A misfire is more specifically a door system that is randomly opening for no reason.

An LCD Touch Screen that has 4 outputs(direct from Prop pins through a 1k resistor) into a 10' unshielded cat5.
    At the box in the photo, the cat5 connects to the PCB>40106 Schmitt Inverter>PCF8574 I2C input. A 0.1uf bypass on the input to the 40106, along with a high value pulldown, maybe 200k.

I am thinking the noise is hitting the cat5 or the PCB from the compressor, and the Prop is reading an input as active. The inputs in question are active LOW. In this case, there are 4 inputs that are all sitting High until one of 4 graphics is touched on the LCD. One input going low ie %1110, %1101, %1011, %0111, is a trigger. But, for example %1100 is ignored or any other combination. Only one input can be low at a time or it is ignored. Seems like low odds for an actual read but it is happening. Considering the compressor is turning on and off a lot, and the random triggers are only a few times a week, maybe it's just a rare occurrence of the %1110 that gets read.
    edited 2015-10-09 00:09
    Umm. that electronic air filter sounds like it holds a high static voltage potential that may spark intermittently, maybe only a few times in a week with clean air.

Beau's advice is excellent. Try to do everything he suggests in a methodical manner.

The CAT5 cable is at least twisted-pair. Can you change to shielded cat 5?

Is it possible the LCD touch screen is charged by all the stuff around it, and the Propeller is not doing anything wrong?

You might find that disconnecting the LCD -- but not the CAT5 results in stable behavior. If so, monitor the LCD for spurious outputs while disconnected.

Can you isolate the LCD from the rest? One possiblity is RS422/485 isolated drivers/receivers over twisted pair.

++++++++++++
    Anything you do still need a scope to confirm the problem is resolved.

Putting a metal cage around your board may or may not help. One could try tin foil first to see if that clears up the problem -- look around restaurant supply or construction supply for heavy foil, easier to use.

How are you using the twisted pair to reduce noise? Check the connections, one may be cold soldered.

A bank of pull-up or pull-down resistors might make it all go away. These come in 4 or 5 resistors to a common pin that are easy to add to existing i/o. You just have to reach the common with a ground or Vcc.

To avoid waiting around...
    Try starting and stopping the compressor. Also, try overloading that air filter with some dust. Lamp black or graphite dust from an art supply might do the trick, maybe too well -- be careful.
    A misfire is more specifically a door system that is randomly opening for no reason.

An LCD Touch Screen that has 4 outputs(direct from Prop pins through a 1k resistor) into a 10' unshielded cat5.
    At the box in the photo, the cat5 connects to the PCB>40106 Schmitt Inverter>PCF8574 I2C input. A 0.1uf bypass on the input to the 40106, along with a high value pulldown, maybe 200k.
    No RC filters at the 40106 ip ? False i2c Clock edges can confuse things.

I am thinking the noise is hitting the cat5 or the PCB from the compressor, and the Prop is reading an input as active. The inputs in question are active LOW. In this case, there are 4 inputs that are all sitting High until one of 4 graphics is touched on the LCD. One input going low ie %1110, %1101, %1011, %0111, is a trigger. But, for example %1100 is ignored or any other combination. Only one input can be low at a time or it is ignored. Seems like low odds for an actual read but it is happening. Considering the compressor is turning on and off a lot, and the random triggers are only a few times a week, maybe it's just a rare occurrence of the %1110 that gets read.
    So the PCF8574 is IP only, and the touch zones are decided elsewhere ?
    Are the other pins spare on the PCF8574 ?
    Can you join some to GND to give a framing signal ? eg 1111 tells you nothing, but 1010bbbb will catch extra clock edges

You could try a polling voting system, where you run a Value and a Count.
    If (ThisB == LastB) increment CountB, else reset CountB.
    Only when CountB > some value, do you accept ThisB
    - you have sparse valids, so this would be extremely noise tolerant.
    If you can track and store the 'reset when <>', you get a feel for the noise failure rates.

• The CAT5 cable is at least twisted-pair. Can you change to shielded cat 5?

The twisted pair won't really help eliminate noise unless there's a differential signal.
    edited 2015-10-09 00:31
    One other thought is that this could also be a reset on the 3904 on the RST pin post FTDI, which could simulate a open command. On this older board, there is a .1 cap to VSS on each input to the 40106, and a 200K pulldown. I use a pulldown here so that if the LCD remote module is disconnected, it shows up as a fault with %0000 input. The only scope I can take is a Propscope. I have only dealt with this type of problem twice before. Both times it was the installer putting my box right next to a 240VAC breaker or lighting control system, both high current devices. The solution in both earlier cases was to move my box away by some distance and problem solved. Not so easy in this case.

Lots of good suggestions here guys, many thanks.

jmg: LCD Touch Screen Prop Module <--- 10' cat 5 ----> Main board Prop module. (40106>PCF8474 ip only>Prop)

The client is saying there are random openings, but on reboot there is an open(Home), so I cannot rule out noise on the 3904 or RST.
    One other thought is that this could also be a reset on the 3904 on the RST pin post FTDI, which could simulate a open command. ...

The client is saying there are random openings, but on reboot there is an open(Home), so I cannot rule out noise on the 3904 or RST.

hmm, I was going to ask if Reset was excluded...
    Can you make a reboot less 'invasive' ?
    Spike protection into RST means very short led Cs and series Rs near the package, to reduce the antenna effects. What package ?

edited 2015-10-09 01:06
    QFP. I am taking the newer board with the CP2110 which does not use the 3904 on reset, it is a direct path. The new boards also have better filtering/termination on all inputs. On the current Prop board, the PCB has tinned pads that are connected to VSS, and the mounting screws take the pads to the chassis( GND on the PCB is through a combo of cable and chassis now). Rookie mistake that I never bothered to change, the new boards are isolated from the chassis.
    QFP. I am taking the newer board with the CP2110 which does not use the 3904 on reset, it is a direct path.
    I'd still try and stimulate the failure in the workshop, and apply a shortest-lead RC filter to the RST pin.
    Sounds like you want to fix this on one pass.

• T Chap ... "....the PCB has tinned pads that are connected to VSS, and the mounting screws take the pads to the chassis( GND on the PCB is through a combo of cable and chassis now)..." .... If I understand this correctly NO, that;s not the way to do it. If the PCB is powered from a galvanic power supply that is supposed to be isolated from the mains, then the Negative output from the power supply does NOT go to earth ground (The Chassis) ... it's not the same, and can cause the power supply to "hunt" to maintain voltage.
  • The more I think about it, carbon black or graphite near that air filter might just cause serious damage.

If you want to test it as a source of trouble, try generating smoke. Maybe just a big fat cheap cigar will do the trick. Or whatever a bee keeper uses to generate smoke.

If the air filter gaps and sparks, you will hear it -- and maybe able to see it. And you should get immediate confirmation that the Propeller is acting up at the same time.
  • Seairth wrote: »

The twisted pair won't really help eliminate noise unless there's a differential signal.

Actually, if one of the pair is grounded and the other carries a signal -- that is some degree of shielding. Certainly not as good as differential signals, but it is shielding. The trick is to NOT have it grounded at both ends, which will cause a potential ground loop. This is somewhat similar to ribbon cables alternating signal and grounded wires as a means of shielding.

• Seairth wrote: »

Actually, if one of the pair is grounded and the other carries a signal -- that is some degree of shielding. Certainly not as good as differential signals, but it is shielding. The trick is to NOT have it grounded at both ends, which will cause a potential ground loop. This is somewhat similar to ribbon cables alternating signal and grounded wires as a means of shielding.

Good point. Is the CAT5 connected this way?
  • Cat5 has 5V, GND, 6 signals. There is no pairing with GND to make use of twisted pairs. These are very slow signals, so this works perfectly until there is a large motor/noise source near the cable.
  • I need to add internet, and have it upload to a remote server on each reboot, as well as each command with time stamp and commands received. I have code for this already for another project using the Roving Networks Wifly Rn134 module, using a server with PHP and a Mysql db. Seems like I need to set this up and make things easier.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-10-10 14:08
    Cat5 has 5V, GND, 6 signals. There is no pairing with GND to make use of twisted pairs. These are very slow signals, so this works perfectly until there is a large motor/noise source near the cable.

In that case I would convert those signals to currents instead of voltages. A 10 - 20 mA current signal is far more noise resistant than a 0-5V signal would be. It also allows for the use of of optical isolators if ground loops are a problem.

If the GND and 5V is powering the board that could be causing the problem, so additional filtering may also be needed.
    edited 2015-10-11 10:12
    I really fear that air filter is electostatic and may be impossible to work with. These devices to occasionally spark when a bit of dust or hair comes their way.

So I would definitely consider trying to trigger a spark with smoke and watch what happens.

+++++++++
    All the other stuff may be a waste of time if you keep getting high voltage sparks at random intervals.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Sure nearby electrostatic discharge is not a big problem. I imagine putting everything in grounded metal enclosures would sort that out. Electric fields will not get through.

That leaves those pesky long interconnects and ground current loops to worry about. Sorry I'm not much help there. Every case like this I have managed fix was different. And no matter how I thought about it theoretically the solution ended up being more of a desperate guess and trial and error. For example:

Recently a problem with a resetting Propeller whose reset pin was driven by another board a foot away was fixed with a stiff pull-up resistor and capacitor to ground close to the reset pin.

A data bus snaking around inside a rack and delivering random errors was fixed by replacing the normal flat ribbon cable with one that had twisted pairs. And ensuring correct terminations.

Random errors on a serial link between two items in the same cabinet was fixed when my scope showed me that the ground of one end was very "up and down".

One major thing is that every loop of wire is acting a turn of a transformer. The bigger the area enclosed by that loop the better external magnetic fields couple to it and induce unwanted currents in it. So the last thing we want is signals going out over one path and their return current coming back
    via a far away path. Run signals and grounds close together. That what twisted pairs are for.

If you can use current loops instead of high impedance voltage signals I'm sure that would help.

It's at trying times like this that we are reminded that our circuits are not nice neat arrangements of lumped circuit elements, resistors, capacitors, transistors, chips etc connected together by wires that do nothing but connect what we want. No, our circuits are more like giant wobbly jellies where each part is connected to every other part by some electric/magnetic field. Ping one part and the whole thing wobbles.

Sometimes I think it's amazing anything ever works.