Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fixing short circuit in PCB — Parallax Forums

Fixing short circuit in PCB

I have a short circuit in my latest PCB. Fortunately I was able to locate it, but now the question is how to fix it?

My inclination is just to start scraping at it with a utility knife to break the connection. But seeing as how I have about $300 in this board, I don't want to risk ruining it. The good news is that the pad will be totally covered with a terminal block, so aesthetics isn't too much of a concern. Any suggestions beyond the X-Acto?
1024 x 759 - 268K

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    It's easy to see and there is plenty of room, so a sharp edge is fine.
    Usually we make two cuts, and it can be quite neat.
  • I'd use a Dremel tool with a fine-pointed burr at maximum RPM. You've got plenty of room to work, and you want to make sure to remove enough material that the two conductors are well-separated.

-Phil
  • Thanks for the tips, I got it fixed without issue.
  • As suggested, make two small score lines between the pad, and the unwanted ground ... then use about the smallest flat blade screwdriver you can find as a chisel ( I have a screwdriver I specifically sharpened just for this purpose ). You could probably do it just by applying a small amount of pressure behind the sharpened screwdriver, but giving it a small tap from the back end with a small ping hammer will do wonders.

Practice this method on a scrap board first.
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2015-10-08 02:28
    Oops missed that you solved it.