Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hackable Badge and SimpleIDE Problem — Parallax Forums

Hackable Badge and SimpleIDE Problem

I am having trouble getting SimpleIDE to recognize my badge. I get the "no propeller on com port" error message.
I am using Windows 10 with an HP Pavilion laptop and the Parallax micro-usb that is recommended for the badge.
I looked through the list of Parallax drivers but could not decide which one would work with badge so I tried several.
And I did download the latest driver package from the Parallax web site.
I checked the battery voltage and it is good also. I can not tell if badge is off or on as there was no pre-loaded program
in it so using the on/off switch has no effect on anything. The blue charging light does come on when plugged into PC.
I retested all my other prop boards to see if problem was with software but they all work fine with the software.
The only Propeller board I don't have is the Professional Developement Board.
Made sure I had the proper libraries for Badge and updated the IDE environment. The version of SimpleIDE I am using is
V1.0.2. I am pretty sure I am just making a tyro mistake somewhere but I can't find it yet, do you guys have any suggestions?
When I try to turn badge on nothing happens, but I do not know if it has a "power on" routine or not.
The build for the sample programs work fine so I am pretty sure my libraries are there and correct.

Comments

• Hey Carol!

Simple IDE should recognize the Badge even if the power is off. If it does, you'll see a COM port number assigned in Simple IDE (just like in Propeller Tool). However, it won't download unless the Badge is powered up. You found the little pushbutton on the right - when pressing it you'll hear it click really lightly. Use your fingernail because fingers are sorta soft and may not trigger the button. You'll hear it snap when you press it.

If this doesn't solve your problem, we should probably install Propeller IDE or Propeller Tool on your computer and try running some of the Spin code. Have you tried that too?

Ken Gracey
  • I knew where the switch was and it does click when I press it but nothing happens. I will try using SPIN on it next.
    Out of curiosity has anybody else used C on their badge? When they first arrived in the mail I charged them and then
    tried to turn them on. They did not work then either. I will let you know what happens after I try SPIN.
  • Yes, most of the badges that are being programmed in courses are at Northwestern University's Center for Connected Learning. They're teaching teachers and students with our C tools. Andy has done well over 200 hours of C programming with the badges.

Carol, when I sent you a couple of badges they were from my private reserve. In the early days of production I mixed up a few fails with good inventory, so it's possible I sent you a troublemaker. If it's this way I'll replace it right away.

I don't remember if I sent one or two, also. You really need two badges to have fun with the IR Tx/Rx. So I'll make your badge setup complete after we verify the problem with your hardware.

Ken Gracey
  • There are two badges and they both behave the same which is part of why I am unsure if it is me or them. It would be unusual for both to have the same problem. I tried them with the Propeller Tool (v1.3.2) and had the same error message. I also tested a couple of my other props and had no trouble with them so I really don;t think it is software. It is either something I am not doing or the hardware. Do you want me to send these to you, it will be no trouble ?
  • Wow. I read your posts above and I'm not 100% clear on one detail. When connected to any of the tools (Simple IDE, Propeller Tool, etc.), did you try to identify or download code both before and after a power button press? If the badge is off, then you won't be able to download. This has been a problem for a number of people since we put no power LED on the board.

I'll check for your reply tomorrow morning, and then make a decision to send you two more badges in time for Robothon. If I send some out, I'd like to get a good look at the two units you have to verify what's failed on them.

Thanks Carol!

Ken Gracey
  • Yes, I did try the power button which you recommended in an earlier post.
  • They are working and Ken was right! I was not restarting the badge right before downloading. A power on light would be helpful for us frail humans. Now I can program them and add bling to them. Thanks Ken.
    1844 x 1383 - 1M