Forum Update - Announcement about May 10th, 2018 update and your password.

Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i

1143144145146147149»

Comments

• Many companies are making 1117 regulators. They are my current favorite...
    Prop Info and Apps: http://www.rayslogic.com/
  • jmgjmg Posts: 11,776
    Rayman wrote: »
    Many companies are making 1117 regulators. They are my current favorite...

Yes, the series should be available 'for ever', and the older ones have Iq of < 6~10mA and dropouts of < 1.4V @ 0.8A.
    Being generic keeps the price down too.... LDL1117 show as low as 10c/3k from Future, and cheapest xxx117 are as low as 3.7c/1k from asia..
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 9,184
    edited June 21 Vote Up0Vote Down
    The power test was done at 180MHz. The pin toggle rate was clock/8. This was only 1.8V core power, not 3.3V I/O power. Not sure what the I/O power will be, but it will be a heck of a lot less than the core.

The leakage test was done at whatever corner would produce the most leakage. I believe this was at fast process, high voltage, and high temperature. I think we will probably see 50ua.
  • Do I recall correctly, or did I read previously read the static leakage was going to be 1 mA or something?

The reason I ask is because 50 uA significantly opens up possible applications

I am the Master, and technology my slave.
  • The_Master wrote: »
    Do I recall correctly, or did I read previously read the static leakage was going to be 1 mA or something?

The reason I ask is because 50 uA significantly opens up possible applications

That's right. My early assumption was 1ma of leakage.
  • I just took a look at the Prop1 datasheet. It says quiescent current under special conditions can be as low as 600 nA. That seems really low for such a complex IC. Nice.

What surprised me more though is the max power rating of 1 Watt. Surely the Prop1 can't get near that figure. I'm wondering if maybe that 1 W also includes load devices on the I/O pins?

"Are we alone in the universe?"
    "Yes," said the Oracle.
    "So there's no other life out there?"
    "There is. They're alone too."
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 7,570
    Isn't the 1W figure the absolute power "handling" capability of the package? For instance if we pushed all 8 cogs so that it consumed 330mW max @100MHZ @25'C then we shouldn't push more than 670mW "dissipation" through the I/O etc. Not really the kind of figures we're after though.

Tachyon Forth - compact, fast, forthwright and interactive
    useforthlogo-s.png
    --->CLICK THE LOGO for more links<---
    Latest binary V5.4 includes EASYFILE +++++ Tachyon Forth News Blog
    P2 SHORTFORM DATASHEET +++++ TAQOZ documentation
    Brisbane, Australia
  • TubularTubular Posts: 2,996
    evanh wrote: »
    I just took a look at the Prop1 datasheet. It says quiescent current under special conditions can be as low as 600 nA. That seems really low for such a complex IC. Nice.

What surprised me more though is the max power rating of 1 Watt. Surely the Prop1 can't get near that figure. I'm wondering if maybe that 1 W also includes load devices on the I/O pins?

1 watt isn't huge. Think of it as four 1/4 watt through hole resistors running at rated power and covering a similar circuit board area.

The load devices dissipate their own energy but remember they are switched by transistors with a ~28 ohm Ron resistance, at 25mA those dissipate 17.5mW per pin, while powering an external load which might be dissipating ~65mW. So that 17.5mW times 30 pins is 0.525 watts, in addition to what the core consumes.

This is an unlikely application - in practice those pins would probably have some kind of duty cycle, and plus there's about a 400mA current in the datasheet limit I believe, but it shows how things can add up.