Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Disappearing Threads — Parallax Forums

Disappearing Threads

We are currently investigating an issue where a user, and associated technical malfunction, was able to accidentally remove a large number of posts. There was no malicious intent, no breach in security; however it does appear that our change log has gained a plethora of erroneously deleted posts.

We will be restoring those posts and looking into methods to prevent this from happening in the future, once we understand exactly how this occurred. We also apologize if the forums react a little sluggish during this period.

Comments

• Sorry to hear. Slow forum beats no forum.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    OMG. I hope this is recoverable from. All the best.
  • Dang! Your efforts are seriously appreciated.

Thank you.
  • Should all have been returned, we know more about how it occurred and we'll be working on methods to prevent it in the future once we confirm our results on a more controlled environment. Like a dev forum.

Happy posting.
  • Bump,

I hope you've got plans for the holiday weekend that will take you away from all of this. Cripes, man, what a relentless slog these past two months have been! You deserve a break. Kick back, turn off your phone, and put this forum stuff out of your mind. Even if it all comes crashing down, I'm willing to bet we can all wait until Tuesday for things to settle back to normal again.

Oh, wait! Maybe our Aussie friends don't observe Labor Day. Well, too freakin' bad. :)

-Phil
  • What's a holiday?
    I think I had one of those before but details are sketchy. :)
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-09-04 05:51
    The 'The New 16-Gog,' thread is back, but #latest takes me to first post now! 184 new, it says..
    the problem with this is that I've been away from the forum (due to moving to my alternative location, as I do now and then) and now it's tricky to figure out where I *actually* left off. The forum software has some problem spots with #latest, as has been noted in earlier forum issue threads.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Tor wrote: »
    The 'The New 16-Gog,' thread is back, but #latest takes me to first post now! 184 new, it says..

It took me two entries and jumps to get to the real latest post.

First entry reveals a quirk where the actual page numbers are NOT at the top of the first post on Page 1, so you scroll down-down-down to find the navigation.... then that gave 129 max, go there, and then exit, and re-enter, now it magically finds 2 more pages, and the real last post can be found...

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-09-04 06:59
    Well, that's a trick I have to remember! I have run into that #latest problem a lot since the forum got upgraded.
    Thanks,
    -Tor

Edit: Unfortunately that didn't work.. I was taken to the first post of the Tachyon thread, scrolled down, clicked on the last page, and got to a post that was many days after the actualy last post I read. It's actually on the real last page.
    The forum software clearly nows that I haven't read 98 posts, but it won't take me there. I wonder why. It's certainly annoying.
  • Well, be careful.

We have 4 more days before Ghost Month 2015 is over in the Chinese Lunar calendar. Odd things do happen during Ghost Month, and this year has been a memorable one.

http://www.chinesenewyearday.com/ChineseGhostMonth.htm