Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Search Change — Parallax Forums

Search Change

Vanilla DB search is out, Google Search is in.
You may experience ads, but you'll also have a much better chance at finding useful query results.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    That is cool Bump. Quite a treat. Big thanks for all the effort.
  • Thanks Bumb! Looks good,

We have to put up with ads everyday. Why should this be any different? :)

I did not see any adds in the searches I tried. Usually adds on Google are not obtrusive and annoying.

I wonder if they are getting our user names and other info as part of the search query?

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-09-02 18:48
    If you are bothered by ads, I REALLY suggest Adblock Plus.

I often don't recognize sites if I visit them on an unprotected computer. They look totally different without their ads.

P.S. Thanks for a GOOD search tool!!!
    edited 2015-09-02 19:12
    The ad thing is interesting.

Today I hit some news site that:

a) Started playing a video at full volume.

b) Put a pop up in the middle of the screen that had no way to close it.

c) Thus ensuring it was impossible to shut off the video Smile for one minute or so.

Well, I'm not used to such abuse. Result: that site is now blocked. Which is a shame because at the end of the trauma the actual story was quite nicely presented.

What are these guys thinking?

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Heater. wrote: »
    The ad thing is interesting.

Today I hit some news site that:

a) Started playing a video at full volume.

b) Put a pop up in the middle of the screen that had no way to close it.

c) Thus ensuring it was impossible to shut off the video Smile for one minute or so.

Well, I'm not used to such abuse. Result: that site is now blocked. Which is a shame because at the end of the trauma the actual story was quite nicely presented.

What are these guys thinking?

That it would get your attention. Which it did.....but probably not in a way that would do them any good.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2015-09-02 19:22
    If using Firefox, try this the next time you have a similar problem.

1. Right click on the annoying element of the web page.
    2. Select "Inspect Element"

A small info bar will appear at the top of the item, and the large Inspector window will appear.

3. Click the down arrow, right side of the small info bar.
    4. Select "Delete Node", and then close the Inspector window.

This works great for those annoying JavaScript overlays that many sites use to obscure your view of the actual page.
    @kwinn,
    That it would get your attention.
    For sure. That is what advertising is about. As it is I don't remember what the annoying video or pop up was trying to sell. Although I guess it might be wedged in my subconscious somewhere.

Or is it?

Seems to me that the best advertising never gets your attention as such. It's just there, part of the ambiance, part of your life from birth to death, hardly noticed. It's a brand that your grandmother used. It's such a friendly thing that you will instinctively choose that familiar label over any other new strange thing. Without your attention ever being involved.

In short, subtle, insidious, persistent, brain washing. Taking over your mind without you ever noticing.

I get the feeling that people, even those who would not understand what "adblock" is, are getting more and more aware and annoyed by the over the top, in your face, advertising going on today.

@RDL2004,

Thanks for the Firefox tip.

• I think I read the other day that one of the web browsers (chrome?) was going to start blocking flash video in advertising by default.

NoScript + Ghostery seems to keep most of the garbage away for me. I also have a huge HOSTS file (which I haven't updated lately come to think of it).
    RDL2004,

Ah, that would account for why I was taken aback by that barrage of advertising today. Most machines I use don't even have FLASH, or Java or any other plugin installed in any way.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2015-09-03 01:22
    And there was much rejoicing! Thanks Bump!

• I'd also suggest U-Block origin.

One recent review showed it was lighter, faster than Ad Block.

It also can use the Ad Block filter lists.

Between that and No Script, I am also somewhat baffled when I use other people's devices and see that they are still living with the Smile.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Nothing can block Cliff Richards. Aaaaaaaaaaacccccccccckkkkkkkk!
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Heater. wrote: »
    @kwinn,
    That it would get your attention.
    For sure. That is what advertising is about. As it is I don't remember what the annoying video or pop up was trying to sell. Although I guess it might be wedged in my subconscious somewhere.

Or is it?

Seems to me that the best advertising never gets your attention as such. It's just there, part of the ambiance, part of your life from birth to death, hardly noticed. It's a brand that your grandmother used. It's such a friendly thing that you will instinctively choose that familiar label over any other new strange thing. Without your attention ever being involved.

In short, subtle, insidious, persistent, brain washing. Taking over your mind without you ever noticing.

I get the feeling that people, even those who would not understand what "adblock" is, are getting more and more aware and annoyed by the over the top, in your face, advertising going on today.

That's why I gave up on watching regular TV. Now that I have netflix I do watch the occasional movie or series episode. So nice without the ads and being able to watch when I want to.
  • kwinn, I'm with you on Netflix. Scanning through the hundreds of broadcast channels on my cable, all I see is junk (save news and sports). But Netflix has cancelled contracts with movie providers of late, so it's unclear whether they will continue to be a reliable provider of others' content. Meanwhile, the last video rental place in town is folding, and I refuse to pay extra for Netflix's DVD-by-mail service. (Truth be known, if I want to watch something, I don't have the patience to wait a day for it to arrive.)

Bump, I very much appreciate the effort to bring Google search to the forum! I had to locate one of my old threads today for Ken, and it just worked. Thanks, man!

-Phil
    Did something during the recent forum upgrade for search cause some threads to be lost? Something very bad has happened here.
  • It would be a stretch to infer a causal relationship between a new search tool and threads disappearing. But the coincidence is nonetheless intriguing.

-Phil
    Not much of a stretch :)
  • heater wrote:
    Not much of a stretch
    IOW you're thinking, "Too big to catalogue, so bu-bye!" Nah, I'm not buyin' it. But speculation is cheap; let's just wait to get the inside dope from Bump.

-Phil
    Not quite. I would never have expected that asking google to trawl and index pages would have any such effect. Rather that some other little forum tweak was done at the same time, with unforeseen consequences.
  • Our IT department is very busy and may not see questions posted here.

Please email webmaster@parallax.com with questions related to forum changes or to report anything you believe to be an error, bug, or breaking change.