Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LVDS vs. SPI - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

LVDS vs. SPI

2»

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    BTW, standard HDMI connector has 19 pins. There is a pretty good description at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Strangely enough I now have a PC and a monitor both with VGA and HDMI. I use VGA. Buggered if I can tell any difference using HDMI. The VGA has the advantage of being a nice flexible cable and it screws into place ensure I never accidentally kick out out of it's socket.

I also prefer VGA from the DVI port using an adapter, because for some reason, HDMI from a computer to a TV has always looked a little odd to me.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    How much distance is critical. If it is a lot, like 10 meters or more; a senso with a small microcontroller attached that converts to asynchronous serial and is attatched two a full duplex RS422 driver/receiver pair may be optimal.

SPI might be adapted to distance with a microcontroller by using RS422 drivers and receivers - but I have never tried it. A BasicStamp might even be adequate.

If the need is Sub-MHz ADCs then a small MCU and almost any Standard Serial choice can come in cheaper than a stand alone ADC.

EFM8BB1 parts are well under 50c, and have 10b/12b ADC, at 800ksps/200ksps, and can do UART up to 3~4 MBd, or SPI to 2.45Mbd Slave - looks like the serial link limits the top-streaming ADC speed, for 10b operation.

A few cents more can get a EFM8BB2, which claims 12Mbd SPI master or slave, same ADC speed, and UART to 6~8MBd, or i2c slave to 3.4MBd.
    That's a lot of serial choices, at good speeds...

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    jmg wrote: »
    How much distance is critical. If it is a lot, like 10 meters or more; a senso with a small microcontroller attached that converts to asynchronous serial and is attatched two a full duplex RS422 driver/receiver pair may be optimal.

SPI might be adapted to distance with a microcontroller by using RS422 drivers and receivers - but I have never tried it. A BasicStamp might even be adequate.

If the need is Sub-MHz ADCs then a small MCU and almost any Standard Serial choice can come in cheaper than a stand alone ADC.

EFM8BB1 parts are well under 50c, and have 10b/12b ADC, at 800ksps/200ksps, and can do UART up to 3~4 MBd, or SPI to 2.45Mbd Slave - looks like the serial link limits the top-streaming ADC speed, for 10b operation.

A few cents more can get a EFM8BB2, which claims 12Mbd SPI master or slave, same ADC speed, and UART to 6~8MBd, or i2c slave to 3.4MBd.
    That's a lot of serial choices, at good speeds...

I agree. When the speed at which a gas sensor responds to changes in concentration and it's inherent accuracy is taken into account those parts exceed the required speed and accuracy by a large margin. As a bonus the MCU can perform some pre-processing such as averaging and sending readings when the change exceeds a threshold.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-09-04 06:59
    Like Heater, I don't actually own a TV. And there have been decades that I survived completely without one. I may never actually acquire a true HDMI video.

My usual route for acquiring a TV is that someone takes great pity on me and suddenly appears at my door to endow me with their rather old and decrepit one as they just bought something new and better.

The last one that was gifted, broke with in a few months. I had the TV repairman accross the street fix it, and it broke again a few months later. So I took it back to the TV repairman and he wanted more money. So I said, "No, thank you," and just gave it to him for parts.

Since the landlady does provide free cable TV, I do have a video box that provides access to TV shows through my VGA. So I am not totally without the media.