Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The UnOfficial OS War Thread - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

The UnOfficial OS War Thread

13»

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-08-23 14:55
    Odd you should single out "annex". It's a very commonly used word not just in law. My school had an annex. Germany annexed the Sudetenland. Good old latin origin.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2015-08-23 14:33
    @koehler I encountered 'bespoke' just last week in a proposal written... with the help from a German. It's been a long time. Where it lurks, aforementioned, therein, and lots of other stuffy friends are nearby.

Yeah, maybe it is fashion in a "we aren't IBM or other old big company" sense. It might also be a product of mobile, electronic communication too. When I'm on mobile and using IM, SMS, etc... the lack of a keyboard and the "it's not going to be seen by everyone" nature of it tends to bias toward very casual expression. I get a huge mix on SKYPE, SMS, Google Talk, etc...
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Yawn. This "commissioned and approved" thread is downright boring compared to the recent WinX thread that got "out of hand". I can't tell if it's that bashing isn't fun when it's condoned and encouraged, or if that subject just ran its course and people got tired of talking to themselves. At any rate, thanks to Von Szarvas for his ingenious rerouting trick. Will file this tactic away for future reference.
  • The same tactic works on children and small animals.........too.
  • @erco, it's not fun when sanctioned most of the time.

There are some exceptions, but they have got to be over the top, and people need to feel really comfortable for them to work.

@mindrobots yep. Parenting 101 right there. :)

• Heater. wrote: »
    Odd you should single out "annex". It's a very commonly used word not just in law. My school had an annex. Germany annexed the Sudetenland. Good old latin origin.

No, that was the problem.
    Every time they said annex, that what I was thinking about, not something included in some agreement, managed services, etc.

• Neat, the "OS that fits on a floppy" is back, and maybe for RPi 2 as well:

http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/