Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any TRS-80 Model 100 Fans? — Parallax Forums

Any TRS-80 Model 100 Fans?

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
edited 2015-07-24 19:33 in General Discussion
I just got one off Ebay. It's clean and appears to function properly, but 4 adjacent top row keys (9 0 - =) are dead. I don't really need another project, the seller just said "it works". I found a teardown site at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shack-TRS-80-MODEL-100-Portable-Computer-/171855322087
In addition, what do you do with a model 100 these days? :)

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2015-07-24 19:46
    I've got one and I got it about that same way you did. It can make a really nice BASIC calculator, can be used for a bit of note taking, and will function as a slow terminal.

It's a great on the desk type curio or conversation starter thing.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620

Sell it on Ebay.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2015-07-24 19:55
    The Model III was a Model I that worked.
    Edit. oops. The Model 100 was much cooler. I knew someone who had one in college and it was handy. Although compared to a modern laptop it is crude.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2015-07-24 20:53
    The Model I was OK. I ran NATGUG, the UK TRS-80 users group (it's still going after 35 years), and used one for many years, as did many of our members.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2015-07-24 22:55
    It's alive! I became obsessed with fixing it immediately after my initial "woe is me" post. The website I listed showed that just 4 machine screws held it all together. All the keys tested fine internally, so I figured there was prolly a local electrical issue since all the errant keys were adjacent. A bit of sleuthing on the keyboard PCB revealed some corrosion near the ribbon cable. Some scraping revealed a break in one trace, and a bit of wire soldered in restored all functions. Far out!649cef2580121db12ee8f556ec0328.jpg

Here's someone's video review. Blazing speed, up to 2-3 commands per second! 

1020 x 750 - 400K
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Brilliant machine. Long run time on battery, excellent keyboard, fast boot, serial and parallel ports. Nothing has matched it since.

Clearly needs hooking to a Prop to talk to Tachyon for example.
    Brilliant machine. Long run time on battery, excellent keyboard, fast boot, serial and parallel ports. Nothing has matched it since.

Yup, supposed to run on 4x AA batteries for a week or more. And you KNOW line numbers rock!

10 PRINT "HELLO HEATER"
    20 GOTO 10
    Line numbers are brilliant.
    They are just like using raw memory addresses in assembler instead of symbols, as we used to do back in the day. You know exactly where you are with line numbers.
    Bit of a pain when you have to move code around and recalculate them all. Hmmm...perhaps we should have a  high level language that emits BASIC as it's machine code? :) 
    Where BASIC development went wrong is when it was forced to "grow up" and become a real  structured language, in the style of Algol and it's children. A pointless exercise. 

• Brilliant machine. Long run time on battery, excellent keyboard, fast boot, serial and parallel ports. Nothing has matched it since.

Clearly needs hooking to a Prop to talk to Tachyon for example.

Add a CP/M-CoPropeller!!!
    Or even some... multi-CP/M-ing... \o       o//       o/
  • I just got one off Ebay. It's clean and appears to function properly, but 4 adjacent top row keys (9 0 - =) are dead. I don't really need another project, the seller just said "it works". I found a teardown site at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shack-TRS-80-MODEL-100-Portable-Computer-/171855322087

Based on your statements, I went and dug through my collection. Mine is a Model 102. Same basic idea, but demonstrably better looking.
    In addition it came with its manual. The only problem is that the time-of-day device isn't Y2K supportive.....
    Now to decide what to do with it. Oh and inside that teardown site is the description of a site that promotes them. It seems that there's a lively community for them.....
  • And the group that the comments promotes offers an interesting Y2K supportive solution. However finding the books that the solution mentions, namely two published by RS themselves will be difficult, but not impossible.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2015-07-25 16:02
    For background check out http://www.club100.org/.  You can even see me and the gang at a Club 100 scarfup back in the day around 1990 at my brother-in-law's pizza place, http://www.club100.org/stories/02/feature.html.

I started using the M100 soon after it came out and helped to build a couple of agricultural data networks that fed data to a mainframe at the university.  Yes, the M100 sported a 300 baud modem!  A very popular feature at the time. Later on, I sold a couple of memory expansions that fit into the expansion
    socket that you can see in the compartment on the bottom of the machine. 

The BASIC interpreter was easily accessible, good for education and also good for the myriad third party apps that became available. Bill Gates was personally involved with development of the machine. In this case, the schematics were all published, and the firmware entry points and hooks were mapped out in magnificent detail.

IIRC Roy Sheider used a M100 in the beach scene in '2010'. Good enough for NASA!
  • IIRC Roy Sheider used a M100 in the beach scene in '2010'. Good enough for NASA!

No.
    He used an AppleIIC with the extremely rare flatscreen LCD screen. As for what powered it.....
    It might have been a Model 200.
    Remember it was a long time ago.
  • For background check out http://www.club100.org/.  You can even see me and the gang at a Club 100 scarfup back in the day around 1990 at my brother-in-law's pizza place, http://www.club100.org/stories/02/feature.html.

I started using the M100 soon after it came out and helped to build a couple of agricultural data networks that fed data to a mainframe at the university.  Yes, the M100 sported a 300 baud modem!  A very popular feature at the time. Later on, I sold a couple of memory expansions that fit into the expansion
    socket that you can see in the compartment on the bottom of the machine. 

The BASIC interpreter was easily accessible, good for education and also good for the myriad third party apps that became available. Bill Gates was personally involved with development of the machine. In this case, the schematics were all published, and the firmware entry points and hooks were mapped out in magnificent detail.

Yes, I saw that you were involved in the site. 
    My big problem is that the Y2K one listed there, which is here:http://www.muppetlabs.com/~chris/model100/y2000.html

It mentions at the bottom three books:[*]Morgan, Christopher L., Hidden Powers of the TRS-80 Model 100, The Waite Group, New York, 1984[*]Tandy Corporation, TRS-80 Model 100 Assembler / Debugger Manual, catalog number 26-3823, Tandy Corporation, Fort Worth, Texas, 1984[*]Tandy Corporation, TRS-80 Model 100 Owner's Manual, Tandy Corporation, Fort Worth, Texas, 1983[/list]Of them, I think I can find the first. This presupposes that Amazon doesn't have a bad feeling over finding them. The others...... Well I'd rather believe the mysteries of the Lost Ark then in trying to find them. Oddly enough I have found Number Three. It was enclosed with my Model 102, who's still working despite some cosmetic damage to the plastic window over the display.
    I'll see what happens next.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-07-25 18:29
    If you can't find the books on Amazon, try AbeBooks.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=TRS-80&sts=t

They specialize in out of print books on a world-wide basis.  And they are often cheaper than Amazon.  I suspect that a lot of second hand book shops actually prefer to list with AbeBooks.

BEWARE -- I don't understand why a TRS-80 Interfacing, Book 2 is priced at $6,400+ USD.  Could it be that we are sitting on some rare gems and don't know it?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-07-25 18:54
    Why there are many Model 100 fans available: :)
    http://www.autani.com/1225/airius-air-pear-fan-model-100/

As far as I know the TRS-80 Model 100 did not have any fans.
  • http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=tandy&sts=t&tn=trs-80

The above is just Tandy publications for the TRS-80
  • It had no fans.  It had no speed either.  :)

But, it was a nice little machine.  Back in the day, if you wanted to do some light business modeling, telecommunications, programming, data capture, the model 100 was pretty great.

I kind of want to gut mine and put Props in there one day.  P1 and P2.  For now though, it's a great curio. 
    It's a great on the desk type curio or conversation starter thing.

That assumes there is some empty space available on the desk. Silly potatohead!
    potatohead,

I kind of want to gut mine and put Props in there one day.

Pleeeeeeeeeease don't do that.

What you have there is a historical artefact, a family heirloom. The Science Museum in London has newer machines than that on display in the Computer History section, just meters away from the worlds first steam engines. If nothing else it is a 'great curio' as you say.

If you gut it and put anything else in there you have just made junk for the land fill for anyone who comes after you.

If it's burden to you give it to someone who cares about such things. Or donate it to a museum.

So many of the artefacts the were part of common life during my life time have vanished, into those land fills.
  • We shall see.  There are a lot of those things out there.  It's not so rare just yet. 

And it's not a burden.  I've used it, for real actually, in the last few months.  (and that was fun) 

No, this would be about something I would actually use, or it will remain an idle fantasy.  And if I'm actually using it, then I've no worries.  Everything costs something.  That use value may just cost a museum piece. 

• But it was fun.  Turn it on and the Cursor is blinking over BASIC.

Speed, what can you squeeze out of an 8085 clocked at 2.4576 MHz?  Given that, it is remarkably snappy, even running the BASIC interpreter.  32kBytes of ROM, 32kBytes of RAM--Remind you of anything? 

Another book to look for is "Inside the Model 100", written by another fan, Carl Oppendahl.   "8085 Assembly Language Programming, Advanced BASIC programming, Hardware Overview--Keyboard, LCD, Printer Interface, Cassette I/O, Beeper, Power Supply, RS232, Modem". ISBN 0-938862-31-6.
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2015-07-25 20:44
    That is a sweet find.  As you've noticed there is a lively M100 community because nobody has ever created another device that can quite compare with it.  You can run it continuously for a week or more on 4 AA batteries, then no matter where you are in the world and whether there is electricity or sunlight or not pop four more batteries in to keep it going.  It boots and goes off instantly wihout losing your work.  There are all kinds of hacks to add memory and mass storage and comms to more modern computers, because the dang things are so useful.  I know I've read of modern oceanographers using them for field data entry because they can wrap them in bags to protect them from the salt spray without worrying about ventilation.  And the LCD display is a work of low power non squinty art which is completely unavailable today even though the drivers should be much simpler if someone wanted to make one.  Everything is much higher resolution, backlit, and therefore very energy hungry.

And of course the keyboard is superior to almost all modern keyboards, even those that aren't portable.

Some of the low end Windows tablets like the HP stream line are finally horning in on what the M100 was capable of, but even they don't match its battery life and ruggedness.  Some years back I paid $50 and $75 each for a pair of NEC PC8200A's, which are similar but not quite compatible with the M100 and therefore don't have the support community, with the intent of gutting them to use the keyboard and display for something more modern and propellery, but I got sidetracked and newer devices are finally filling the need that I was feeling so I probably won't return to that project any time soon.  But if you have a real M100 a lot of the work of putting it to practical use has been done for you by the community.
  • And that LCD does bitmap graphics, if you want.  Very useful for the time.  Useful today, so long as you don't need anything dynamically drawn in real time.  Which is most things.

I love the keyboard.  Often, I write on my //e for the keyboard.  The Model 100 is similar.  Just a joy to type on.

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Well, they're not _that_ common, or easy to find. If so I would have owned one already. Or a 102. Or one of the Japanese clones.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2015-07-25 21:43
  • EE351EE351 Posts: 81
    edited 2015-07-25 22:54
    In case anyone was wondering what this little gem cost back in 1984:
    http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/1984/h184.html
    Furthermore, in today's dollars (including inflation) the higher end model would cost around $2300. 
    Yep, that was about 20% of my annual salary at the time.