TARS

ercoerco Posts: 18,562
edited July 2015 in Robotics Vote Up0Vote Down
Hopefully it will crutch walk soon. Obviously a figure 8 candidate!

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • Awesome work erco! Will the final unit be self-contained or wired?
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • No wires, Whit+! This was just a quick video using a servo tester. All I have so far is bare servos in the body.

You really talked me up on your blog, Pal. When I need a PR rep, you're on deck.
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,488
    edited July 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Erco, Whit is a man of good words by profession!! :O) He's NOT what you need when you want PR, I imagine usually honesty and conscience get in the way of good PR.

I'll have to see the movie before I can comment on what a TARS can do but it is typically erco-riffic!!
    MOV OUTA, PEACE <div>Rick </div><div>"I've stopped using programming languages with Garbage Collection, they keep deleting my source code!!"</div>
  • @mindrobots - It is not PR when you believe in what you are talking about - erco is the man!
    @erco - with the art department that you have - who needs PR? Love the new family portrait! All it needed was some robots!
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • ercoerco Posts: 18,562
    Just pretend that the ugly coat hangar axle isn't even there. Spinning turns are easy, walking will be trickier to program, that's next.

- Pablo Picasso
  • Google just told me there was a new video on erco's channel. Very very cool! Excellent work!
    I confess I had been a bit skeptical when I saw the first post. Now I'm a believer. I'm looking forward to seeing what this becomes.
  •  Now I'm a believer.

You gotta be a belieber. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Belieber

- Pablo Picasso
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 9,813
    Great! Now I have a Monkey's Earworm tonight :)
    Great work erco, BTW.

Infernal Machine
  • Unbelievably cool - If this is not an article - I want a full description of how you did this - otherwise I will wait patiently - sort of! 
    Whit+

• Glad you boys like it. These old eyes got a workout building up the little controller board.

- Pablo Picasso
  • a6794cdd4c7c46f2db832dd85a8bbb.jpg
    672 x 1120 - 198K

- Pablo Picasso
  • OOH RAH! Very nice, and unique. 
  • Unbelievably cool - If this is not an article - I want a full description of how you did this - otherwise I will wait patiently - sort of! 

Thanks Whit! Can you take it from here?

- Pablo Picasso
  • Thanks pal! Such a neat project...
    Whit+

• erco made me buy something else... Had only seen clips!
    640 x 360 - 39K
    Whit+

• Is this an article - or instructable?
    Whit+

• TARS is just for fun right now, thanks. Been meaning to build since forever, but just had ~2 days free to do it. Now I'm going on a 2-week trip though, so walking will have to wait a while.

Unless I squeeze him in my suitcase, not sure how much free time I'll have.

- Pablo Picasso
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,728
    Some more info for reference - Don't know how accurate this is, but it looks pretty good and is from what looks like a movie prop/costume and  model builders forum (Replica Props Forum). Link address is on the left side. Drawing is by MrSinistar.
    There are other fun items in the thread like created information for the output screens on TARS and CASE.
    1159 x 2035 - 159K
    Whit+

• More from this Wired.com Article - 
    500 x 600 - 39K
    500 x 600 - 90K
    500 x 600 - 101K
    500 x 600 - 102K
    Whit+

• ercoerco Posts: 18,562
    Gotta make some time and make my TARS walk since I found these new videos today.

- Pablo Picasso
  • Nice find erco/Mr.Roboto!
    Whit+