Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Encoders_Arlo_PID_HB25's_I'm looking for code example. — Parallax Forums

Encoders_Arlo_PID_HB25's_I'm looking for code example.

Hi
I had purchased a couple of Encoders from Parallax to use in my differentially steered robotic platform.
I had started a couple of threads concerning controlling my platform using my HB25 controllers and Wiper Motors.
Either my memory is getting very bad, or something was lost with the forum upgrade.
I'm not complaining, but I am  looking for some information about accurately controlling my platform with the HB 25 controllers.
Before the forum upgrade, Duane Deign had informed me of something he was working concerning the ARLO platform code
The code was available in some manner through a Github account.
I tried searching the Github, but could not find what that was.
I really don't know about Github.
Do I need to register with Github in order to download Duane's code so that I can try to understand some things
about using my encoders?
I feel like I'm not being very direct with the forum post, but I am a bit confused with the new forum format.
Any comments that will lead me in the correct direction would be very much appreciated at this time.
Thanks
garyg

Comments

• Check Duane's sig
  • Gary,
    You don't need to register to download the code from GitHub. The "ReadMe" file in  gives instructions on what you need to download. Chose the archive that goes with the hardware you're using.
    Here's a link to the .
    I think it's possible to get the Arlo hardware to perform better than it presently is. Writing a better PID algorithm for the Arlo hardware is on my to do list but I don't know when I'll have time to work on the PID code.
    The present Eddie firmware works pretty well IMO. Here's my test coarse to see how well the encoder feedback worked. 

Here's . I sure miss having post numbers to indicate which post I'm referring to.
  • Thanks Duane
    That's exactly what I've been searching for.
    I'll be studying your spin files related to the HB-25 controllers.

gg
  • Hi
    Not that I want to become a pest or anything, but
    it appears that Duane's post somehow got the links he suggested removed.
    I've downloaded some of the files from Github, but wanted to check out some of the other
    things that Duane recommended and the other threads about the project.
    I was foolishly thinking that the message thread would stay intact.
    Next time I'll print the thread, so that I can find things as I read the thread for the 1st time.

Sorry about that

Gary
  • Gary,

It looks like my earlier link got eaten by the forum software. Here it is again.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1308338/#Comment_1308338

I've attached the archive of the Eddie firmware intended for use with the Propeller Activity Board and the HB-25 motor controllers.

Once you load the firmware, you should be able to send the robot commands with the Parallax Serial Terminal.exe program.

The commands can be found here:

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/eddie-board-command-set

The commands I added are listed in the comments in the top of the top object.

I don't suppose you have an Android phone? I've been working on making an Android interface for use with the Eddie firmware. I think I'm close to having something worth posting soon. It's not a substitute for a PC, but I think it will allow one to remotely control a robot with a smartphone.
  • Thanks Duane
    I've downloaded the zip file and printed this message thread.
    I also printed the PDF for eddie-board-command-set.

I'll be ordering a Propeller Activity board.

That should make things a bit simpler.

I have lots to learn about this subject.

Garyg