Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo Motors — Parallax Forums

Servo Motors

It has been a while since I have been on the forum.  I am trying to design a robotic lawn mower using parts from a scooter chair used by patients.  I work in a hospital and I maybe able to get thrown out parts.  My question is about learning servo motors.  My understanding is that scooter chairs use two DC Servo Motors, but I'm not sure if there is a processer or controller for each motor?  Can any servo motor be connected to a Stamp2 (using external power)?  Where do I start learning about larger servo motors?
Thank you,
John

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    It has been a while since I have been on the forum.  I am trying to design a robotic lawn mower using parts from a scooter chair used by patients.  I work in a hospital and I maybe able to get thrown out parts.  My question is about learning servo motors.  My understanding is that scooter chairs use two DC Servo Motors, but I'm not sure if there is a processer or controller for each motor?  Can any servo motor be connected to a Stamp2 (using external power)?  Where do I start learning about larger servo motors?
    Thank you,
    Johnu

In general scooter motors are a pretty good choice for that. It should be possible to drive the motors with the drivers from the scooter as well. If the drivers and controller are a single module it may be a bit more difficult than it would be if the drivers are separate. The Stamp2 should be able to control two motors with the proper motor drivers and software but I think the Propeller would be a better choice. Hard to be more specific without more details about the scooter parts.