Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Other Vanilla forum examples — Parallax Forums

Other Vanilla forum examples

GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
edited 2015-07-08 00:26 in General Discussion
Given tweaks Vanilla can look pretty good. Whenever I spot one in the wild, I'll post its URL here to show what else is out there. I'll only bother with the ones with custom/improved themes. 
(Edited again -- their DB is back working) Here's one with a simple and straight layout. They seem to have addressed some of the sizing issues, such as a wider display on larger monitors.
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/the-commons

Comments

• I like Parallax's better.
    -Phil
  • Well it IS plain, but it's funny that you say that, Phil, as it addresses many of the things we've been talking about here, including better use of monitor width. Maybe there's a middle ground, but examples like this show what can be done with Vanilla. 
    They also went from another forum (don't think it was VB, but it could have been), and they kept all their categories.
  • It's not just monitor width; it's data density, i.e. how much stuff does a screenful display? In my mind, the more the better, since less scrolling is required. I believe this forum is better in that regard, although it may just be an illusion due to the narrow active screen width.
    -Phil
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-07-08 02:41
    Their base font is too big, so there's not as much on the screen. They'll likely change it, from the comments they're getting.
    Incidentally, their Google links were lost, too. Their rewrite engine (RegEx) isn't working right. 
  • Well, aside from the data density and type size, there certainly is a question of color scheme that seems to have not been discussed.

The new Parallax Forum has a white background, which is at the extreme between white and black. Something more toward the middle would allow for a more subtle color scheme.  It is all about the number of cones and rods in the eye and what makes colors stand out.

But I suppose that is all to artsy to ever get sorted out.  Nonetheless, the white background does shout a bit and may be a big part of the complaints about an archaic look -- a warm gray, a cool gray, or an earth tone would soften the impact and actually draw the eye into seeing more color.
  • Frankly, I'm okay with black on white. Contrast is good.
    -Phil
  • Me too.  I've got a brightness button, if needed.

For quite some time, I was a fan of inbetween colors and luma values.  Mostly due to how CRT displays worked.  It's an easier transition and the lighter shade hides all sorts of little artifacts. 

But, these LCD / PLASMA displays are more or less pixel perfect.  The dynamics are much different.  Changing brightness on a well designed one does the trick without impacting overall fidelity.

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-07-08 17:47
    It's interesting reading in the other forum -- the admins made many of the same mistakes as here: no advance warning, little (or no) outside beta and accompanying input, broken Google links (at least initially), broken/no search, abrupt change in look and feel, notifications hell, and so on.
    And, like here, the admins are wanting to listen and improve. (Only that forum is 30X+ the size/activity of this one, so lots more to go through.)

If nothing else, maybe on some planet in the galaxy another forum is thinking about upgrading, and can read our stories about what to avoid. Consider us the pioneers.