Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum issue: Links open in same window — Parallax Forums

Forum issue: Links open in same window

GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
edited 2015-07-06 16:08 in General Discussion
When you click on a link to an external site it's opened in the same window/tab as the discussion page you're reading. This can lead to losing your place in your reading. People may forward click and not return.
Let's remember that many reading this forum are guests, and Parallax has a vested interest in keeping them on this site, and not off exploring other sites that could compete. (This includes links in sig lines, which now open in the same window.)
And yes, opening a link into new window/tab is how it worked in VB, and is pretty much the standard on most sites.

Comments

• I also noticed this change. I also would prefer if links opened in a new tab.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-07-06 16:25
    Since the new Forum, my finger automatically goes to "Open in new Tab"
    Boy, I have a lot of tabs open. :) 
    And attachment open in the same tab. Must remember to hit the back arrow.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-07-06 16:37
    I also am doing a lot of right-clicking these days! But not all users are aware of this feature of their browser.
    Along the same lines I'd like to see images pop into a lightbox, rather than into the page. My habit is to then close the tab/window, and then I've lost where I was.
    Lightbox code can be added to the theme with a plugin (I assume there's one out there for this forum), but definitely hand-coded.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Hmmm....personally I'm not into the light box thing. Just stick the images in line in the page as I intend it when I create a post with an image.
    After all an image is part of my presentation, like:
    I did this:....some image... 
    then i did this:....some other image...
    Probably want to make sure images are never so big on the page.
    Oh yeah, don't worry about the bandwidth usage of images on mobile :)  
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-07-06 17:18
    Images work that way now. But if the image is clickable (many images need to be), it opens in a lightbox. Alternatively, it should open in a new tab. Out of habit, most people will just close the window with the image, which means they also close the whole page. I.e., don't require them to use the back button.
    If the responsive features of the forum are working properly, any original size image should fit the screen, regardless of the device. I know there are some reported instances of this not happening. Usually this is a only a problem with legacy browsers, like IE7 or IE8. Shouldn't be happening with mod'ren stuff.
  • Thank you Gordon and others.

This has been added to the issue list.