Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax.com news post mentions new forums — Parallax Forums

Parallax.com news post mentions new forums

Work-in-progress approach not well-received by our forum community

https://www.parallax.com/news/2015-07-02/new-discussion-forum-system-launched-new-forum-improvements-continue

Some comments by Parallax posted as a "news" item at the parallax.com site on July 2, 2015, includes bits about the "sorting style" and "lack of testing".

I rarely visit the main site because I purchase most Parallax items through a distributor, so it's just luck that I ran across it. Why a link wasn't posted here as an official announcement is not clear.

Comments

• I am hearing the theme from M.A.S.H. in my head....

"Suicide is painless, you go through many changes....."

I had to go and look up 'blithe' in Websters.
  • RDL2004,
    Thanks for the link. I rarely visit the News page and would have missed it otherwise. Ken's very frank and open mea culpa should come as no surprise to anyone who knows Parallax well. That's why, despite my sometimes biting criticism, I still feel a strong bond of loyalty to Parallax and its people.
    -Phil
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    I'm disturbed by what Ken says will happen with the 'vote' system. That is not something
    I look forward to. I don't mind votes, but I intensely dislike that it interferes with the sequence of posts.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2015-07-05 17:05
    I'm disturbed by what Ken says will happen with the 'vote' system. That is not something
    I look forward to. I don't mind votes, but I intensely dislike that it interferes with the sequence of posts.

I'm going it add a +1 to this comment.  

Is there a way we could "vote" this voting system in or out as a feature?   Please.  Please.  Please...
  • Well, that post is now several days old, and Ken may change his mind by Monday.
    All you have to do is go to Vanilla's own support forums to see even they don't have order by vote. Do we really need to say more about it?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Got my vote Tor :)
  • Mobile is now 30 percent.

That trend matches many of the comments I made for sure. I expect that trend to double in a couple years, just FYI.

Frankly,.I am quite pleased by that honest post. Hey Parallax team, as I know you are reading: kudos for that.

And I'll abide by my promise too. If I really should not like it when the work is done, I won't; otherwise, game on! Let's make it sing.

Re: voting

Meh. So long as we continue to get sort by date and it works, have fun with voting. Some people get a lot out of it. Most use it for petty meta issues, and many ignore it too.

No worries here. Votes or not, I write it or not. Been there, done all that.

• I have got to say that is one letter I would like to stick under some peoples' noses and say THIS is how you do corporate communications.  Not a milligram of self-serving weaselery to be found.

I think the plan for the sort is quite good, one single "best" post gets shunted to the top by votes but then the rest are sorted by time.  (Does the "best" post get duplicated in its place in the time flow?  Hint hint).  That takes care of the situation when something is "answered" neatly.

Also, for all the flaws we've seen the new forum really is far better on mobile than the old one which was just unusable on anything less than a tablet.  Given the 30% mobile thing I can see that as a motivating factor that might not be visible to old skool desktop users.