Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Unable to type in comment or editor box with android tablet and chrome - no kbd — Parallax Forums

Unable to type in comment or editor box with android tablet and chrome - no kbd

:frown: :frown:

If I go into raw text mode, I can get a keyboard and cursor in the comment body field.

From Samsung Tab S with Chrome and Android 4.4, I think.

Not good for mobile users.

Comments

• Yup, raw text let's me comment...
  • This is a test
     How do I cancel a post I don't want to post? 
     Tom
  • twm47099: I want to be sure I understand the question. Do you want to cancel a comment that you have already posted? 
  • twm47099twm47099 Posts: 867
    edited 2015-06-30 04:06
    I'm using a Samsung Tablet (tab 4).  I cannot use the standard on-screen KB.  If I tap in the entry area, the KB appears, but then immediately retracts. 
    The only way I can type in the comment or new discussion box is to use the "floating" KB.  But it is very tiny and a pain to use. 
    Tom
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-06-30 12:48
    The forum software us completely unusable with Android, full stop. The old VB could be tricky, but this simply does not work at all. What happens when I try to comment in Android is that I get the text box, but after every single letter focus is moved to the URL line, so that the next letter ends up in the URL! Which activates a search and so on. To write the next letter I have to 'click' in the text box again, and so on and so forth. I can't post a single word that way.

(I had to take a break and post a bit over in Jeff's propeller powered forum, which uses what must be some of the nicest forum software out there. Works with *everything*.  This post here is obviously written on a PC, had to drive over to work to do that.)

-Tor
  • Oddly, I've had a relatively pleasing experience on Android (Nexus 4, Android 5.1.1). No bugs or hiccups that I've seen. It does annoy me that I can' see votes or times posted.... but at least it uses the full width of my screen
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Ha, not being able to see votes and other useless Smile on mobile is what makes it so much nicer to look at and easier to read. 
  • I already have 3 browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) open into this hideous thing, don't make me start dragging out more Android devices to see what works and what doesn't! That should have been done by the Beta testers!
  • I posted this using android via my smartphone.
    :smile:
    It works, perfect.