Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bulk 4-Cent Photocells: What Shall We Make? — Parallax Forums

Bulk 4-Cent Photocells: What Shall We Make?

ercoerco Posts: 20,254
edited 2015-06-11 10:30 in General Discussion
Fugget about Fitty Cent. I got twenny photocells for 80cent: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261420488934

Sure, old school. Slow response. Uneven color response. But they're classic. Vintage. Retro. Embrace their idiosyncrasies. If you can't fix it, feature it! At 4 cents each, we should be using ten in every project just for sport. Make a 100x100 array for an image sensor. Make an 80-cent necklace out of 20 in series. Sun trackers. Line sensors. Room guards.

Did we ever decide if these are RoHS compliant or not? If not, here are 50 phototransistors for $4.45 (9 cents each): http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-50pcs-5mm-940nm-IR-detector-sensor-Infrared-Phototransistor-/181500082240

Or swing the other way (environmentally) and stock up on real old school toxic mercury switches while you can: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-3MM-Mercury-Switch-Total-10PCS-/191130300666

And throw in a few 19-cent lasers for good measure: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-650nm-6mm-3V-5mW-Laser-Dot-Diode-Module-Head-With-Red-Dot-B-S5-/271890579637

Now what are we gonna build, fellas? Let's put our heads together and come up with something good. Duane made his nifty low-res imager a few years back. Hopefully he'll chime in with some good ideas. I'm just the enabler (and resident low-tech cheapskate).

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2015-06-09 20:17
    Is there any SPIN code for these devices? I am not going to buy any as I have several hundred but I have a project in mind that needs one and I have not worked with them since my Basic Stamp days.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2015-06-09 21:08
    Another ebay gem... ;)

"Light Sensitive Inductor"
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,929
    edited 2015-06-09 21:18
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Is there any SPIN code for these devices? I am not going to buy any as I have several hundred but I have a project in mind that needs one and I have not worked with them since my Basic Stamp days.

Use it as one element of a voltage divider with the junction fed into an ADC. Easy-peasy.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2015-06-09 21:22
    Need lots for IoT! Everything will have a light sensor. Cds are the best for ambient light readings so it makes sense for IoT.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2015-06-09 21:45
    xanadu: You and I should compare kits & parts like these for our respective classes. But mum's the word here in the forums, let's continue discussing this privately via these PMs only.

Oops. :)

I've been Ebay hoarding even more than usual, stocking up on breadboards, battery boxes, batteries, photocells, thermistors, transistors, resistors, mosfets, pots, relays, ultrasonics, soil sensors, voltmeters, servos, remotes, IR receivers, etc.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-06-10 07:30
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    Use it as one element of a voltage divider with the junction fed into an ADC. Easy-peasy.

Or with a capacitor and measure the r/c time constant.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2015-06-10 09:16
    erco wrote: »
    xanadu: You and I should compare kits & parts like these for our respective classes. But mum's the word here in the forums, let's continue discussing this privately via these PMs only.

Oops. :)

I've been Ebay hoarding even more than usual, stocking up on breadboards, battery boxes, batteries, photocells, thermistors, transistors, resistors, mosfets, pots, relays, ultrasonics, soil sensors, voltmeters, servos, remotes, IR receivers, etc.

Sweet, same here! Takes forever to get stuff. Batteries are a bit of a hold up right now. Rechargeable AA's are expensive and awkward. Cheap lipos and chargers seem ok for some age groups but certainly not all. I dislike alkaline but will have to start somewhere.

I find tools to be equally important. What about a cheap DMM? There are a lot out there, this one has a buzzer and is small - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-Multimeter-with-Buzzer-Voltage-Ampere-Meter-Test-Probe-DC-AC-LCD-/131452681513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9b30bd29

Alibaba's massive lot quotes for parts seem to be only pennies cheaper than individual eBay auctions. I'm looking for a good rewards card to put the eBay stuff on the hopefully bring the price down even lower. I hope parts start showing up soon. I'm glad we're bouncing stuff back and fourth, it will help me tremendously.

You know there will be SD vs LA competitions! Some kind of navigation challenge for time maybe?

I also picked a name :) It is really hard to get a dot com domain that is two words, easy to spell and one word is robotics.
    edited 2015-06-10 09:53
    We'll have to chat more. I'm putting those mini DVMs on all my class breadboards.

I do like that multimeter with the continuity buzzer, very handy. Don't have that one! I'll have to blow up one of my HF freebies first to justify spending $4. :)

Edit: I pulled the trigger on one. This hoarder can't wait. Will probably order more.

That's very handy for students, but of course just teaching "how to not destroy your new multimeter" takes an hour that I don't have...

Plan to stock up on any parts which can be destroyed. They will be.

These cheap test leads can accelerate the inevitable "magic smoke release": http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Double-ended-Test-Leads-Alligator-Crocodile-Roach-Clip-Jumper-Wire-SU-/191374054576
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-06-10 10:02
    According to this page:

http://www.rsjtechnical.com/WhatareRoHSexemptions.htm

CdS cells used in specifica applications were once exempted from ROHS, but the exemption appears to have expired. The exemption might have been renewed; it can be hard to find updated information.

Still, this applies to EU, and largely for finished goods. Individual components for the purpose of education and research (generally) fall outside the rules. Don't quote me on it, but I'd think that lot of 10,000 cells you just ordered is probably A-OK, should you move to France or Germany.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-06-10 10:04
    Duane made his nifty low-res imager a few years back.

Here's a photo of the LED array I made.

attachment.php?attachmentid=80519&d=1303582009

In case it's not clear, the array is displaying the image seen by the black and white camera held in my fingers in the top left of the photo. The "HI" on the whiteboard can (hopefully) be seen on the LED array. I used Hanno's method of capturing video with the Propeller.

I suppose one could make an imager with an array of photoresistors but it would sure take a lot of work to wire and program.

I'm not sure what demon possessed me to hand solder my 12 x 10 LED array. Here's the backside of the array.

attachment.php?attachmentid=80501&d=1303579233

The stack of chips in the photo are '595 shift registers. I used four data lines (with a PASM driver) to reduce the refresh period of the screen.

One could stack some ADC chips and read an array of photoresistors. You'd need some sort of lens to focus and image on the sensors. A pin hole would also work but I'm not sure if you'd get enough light to produce an image if a pin hole were used.

An array of photoresistors would probably make a good teaching aid. It could be helpful when explaining how digital cameras worked.

I'm sure there are other interesting applications for an array of photoresistors. The photoresistors could be arranged in a circle around a sundial in order to digitize the information from the shadow. It could be part of a retro futuristic digital clock which only worked when the sun was up. You might as well make it solar powered while you're at it.

@Andy,

Robotics with the Boe-Bot v2.2 has a section on using photoresistors in a voltage divider on page 197. (Here's a link to version 2.2 pdf.)

The part labeled "Vo" would be connected to one of an ADC chip's input pins (or a sigma-delta circuit). The bottom resistor in the divider may need to be changed depending on the photoresistor's resistance range.

attachment.php?attachmentid=114455&d=1433953185
  • tomcrawfordtomcrawford Posts: 1,126
    edited 2015-06-10 10:52
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I'm sure there are other interesting applications for an array of photoresistors. The photoresistors could be arranged in a circle around a sundial in order to digitize the information from the shadow. It could be part of a retro futuristic digital clock which only worked when the sun was up. You might as well make it solar powered while you're at it.

Semi-circle, actually. Lessee: Suppose 6 am to 8 pm is 14 hours, times 10 (six-minute precision) says 140. I better get 150 or maybe 200. Gonna take one helluva shift register.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-06-10 13:07
    Semi-circle, actually. Lessee: Suppose 6 am to 8 pm is 14 hours, times 10 (six-minute precision) says 140. I better get 150 or maybe 200. Gonna take one helluva shift register.

You'll want 141 to include the zeroth (6am) position.

You should be able to do it with two '595 and two '165 shift registers.

You'd need to use resistor values, which allowed the sundial's shadow, to cause a change in the voltage out, of the voltage divider, so it moved from one side of the '165's input threshold to the other. (I hope that makes sense.)

Two of each type of shift register should allow you to monitor 256 photoresistors.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-06-10 13:13
    DMM with buzzer? Looks like mine, I have lots of them (spreading them around, one room here, one room there, one country that way..) They're completely fine DMMs. Except that there's no buzzer.. but my DMMs are 830B, these new ones are 830D, they added a buzzer! I may have to hoard DMMs again, or hoard something else to add buzzer capability to the ones I have. Maybe I should buy just one 830D for inspection..

-Tor
  • wmosscropwmosscrop Posts: 406
    edited 2015-06-11 05:59
    I do like that multimeter with the continuity buzzer, very handy. Don't have that one! I'll have to blow up one of my HF freebies first to justify spending $4. :)

Looks to me like the eBay DVM is almost identical to the HF freebie. Some differences, but I'd say they're probably equivalent.

erco,

I hope you're not the guy at our local flea market that tries to sell HF meters, tape measures, etc. (all the freebies) for twice the "original" HF price. Week after week he has the same items...

Walter
    edited 2015-06-11 09:27
    With enough cheap lasers and photocells (probably phototransistors) we could build some cool laser harps, I suppose...
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-06-11 09:41
    How about building an "eye ball" with these things?

Say and icosahedron with 20 photo cells pointing in 20 directions.

Should be good for detecting some kind of motion with some degree of directional accuracy.

Kind of spooky anyway.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-06-11 10:30
    With enough cheap lasers and photocells (probably phototransistors) we could build some cool laser harps, I suppose...

Nice cover of a song by one of my favorite keyboardist and composers, Yanni:

The song covered starts at 1:00:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NulxeH5WaaI