Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to mix 2-composite video signals onto TV screen? — Parallax Forums

How to mix 2-composite video signals onto TV screen?

john_sjohn_s Posts: 369
edited 2015-06-03 21:32 in General Discussion
There must be a simple gadget that does PIP (picture-in-picture) from 2 different video sources.
For example - to play a video game (composite signal 1) while having a CCTV camera (composite video 2) displayed in say upper right TV screen corner.

Any ideas where to find it?

Thanks,
John

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-06-01 19:56
    Well, the core problem is that the scanning of both has to be in synch. It is not quite as easy as you might like it to be.

The sources you mention - a video game and a CCTV might have entirely different scan rates and resolutions.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-06-01 20:00
    Well, the core problem is that the scanning of both has to be in synch.
    It's much more than that, Loopy. The inset picture has to be buffered because, even it it is in sync, its smaller size will dictate different timing. I was going to post something similar. But the OP's desire is to find a ready-made device that does the work transparently, not to reengineer one. So the details of its operation are totally irrelevant if it works. I'm sure there's one out there.

-Phil
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-06-01 20:10
    These days it would be done digitally, and because it's not analog video, there are no sync or timing issues, as it's merely an overlay of one digital bitmap onto another. This is the sort of thing that's routinely done on thousands of video graphics apps running on PCs.

So, instead of a gadget, how about a laptop? Doesn't have to be a high-end model. And instead of a CCTV camera, could a USB Webcam work instead? From your description, this sounds like a player inset over a video game screen, common on player channels found on YouTube and Twitch. They don't use gadgets, just some software (some of them write it themselves).

If your sources must be composite video, there are still converters to get it into digital form, and once again you're in the realm of doing the PIP digitally.
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2015-06-01 21:03
    use a device called "quad processor". They were used in analogue times of CCTV and used ones can be found less for $10. It generally can mix up to 4 signal including zoom, pan, pip, overlay text, etc.
  • john_sjohn_s Posts: 369
    edited 2015-06-01 22:48
    CuriousOne wrote: »
    use a device called "quad processor". They were used in analogue times of CCTV and used ones can be found less for $10. It generally can mix up to 4 signal including zoom, pan, pip, overlay text, etc.

Couldn't locate any cheap $10 items as all I was able to find cost close to $200 as in http://www.ambery.com/2pivigemi.html.
    The idea is to play a video game while keeping an eye on baby monitor in upper 1/8 corner of the same TV :)
  • wasswass Posts: 151
    edited 2015-06-01 23:21
    CuriousOne wrote: »

Way back when I was an assistant teacher for video classes we used to use video special effects generators for this. They could do PIP and a lot more. Check ebay, there are a lot of used ones there for cheap.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2015-06-02 03:09
    Pick up any of fhe small analog TV sets your neighbors put out by the curb for your baby monitor and set it by your game TV. Save our landfills!
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2015-06-02 10:27
    I remember those things, and changing tapes haha.

Wouldn't this be full screen or 1/4 screen per input only? I don't recall any of these doing actual PiP but I've only worked with the cheap ones, which weren't cheap back in the day.
    edited 2015-06-02 10:41
    john_s wrote: »
    Perfect - I'm going to order it!

You're aware that it's for black and white, right? That's what the B/W stands for. These are for security cameras, which used to be black and white. Now that they use color, quad adapters like this are pretty cheap, because no one uses them.

Also, you probably won't get to change the PIP. On models like this you always get either a full screen, or the quad screen. You have two inputs, so they will fill just two quarters of the screen.

Seems to me the $200 processor sounds about right. But for that price, you could probably pick up a second hand LCD TV, 35" or maybe a little larger, that already has multiple inputs and built-in PIP. The older ones still supported composite video. I gather your TV is an older model that has only one input.

Erco's suggestion is also pretty good. Get a small portable, place it beside your TV.
    edited 2015-06-02 11:03
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-06-02 13:48
    xanadu wrote: »

That is nuts!

May just have to order one. Not sure what "Map" you going to get. Surely not an up to date US map.
    edited 2015-06-02 14:15
    edited 2015-06-02 17:30
    One of the pictures shows a suburb of Madrid. Good excuse to vacation in Spain!

(I have a business friend in Valencia. Maybe I could write the whole thing off as a business expense...)

Same product on sale on Amazon ($160) has a lot of negative reviews. But, for hacking, it looks like it's got some nice parts.
  • YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2015-06-02 20:10
    Hi john_s

From the same manufacturer, but at a mild $105.

Take a look at the specs (up to four composite video inputs, several PIP arrangements, configurable video loss detection and video motion detect, buzzer alarm)

http://www.ambery.com/pivipr.html

I hope it helps a bit

Yanomani
    john_s wrote: »
    Couldn't locate any cheap $10 items as all I was able to find cost close to $200 as in http://www.ambery.com/2pivigemi.html.
    The idea is to play a video game while keeping an eye on baby monitor in upper 1/8 corner of the same TV :)
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-06-03 09:55
    Publison wrote: »
    That is nuts!

May just have to order one. Not sure what "Map" you going to get. Surely not an up to date US map.

Sigh....All sold out before I ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261907042384?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true
    edited 2015-06-03 11:25
    I'm guessing it was an illegal knock off, or some kind of overstock that may be plagued with issues. I'm not sure the cost of Windows CE on a device but I'm pretty sure it's not cheap enough to leave any room for all of the other electronics.
    edited 2015-06-03 11:27
    Yanomani wrote: »
    Hi john_s

From the same manufacturer, but at a mild $105.

Take a look at the specs (up to four composite video inputs, several PIP arrangements, configurable video loss detection and video motion detect, buzzer alarm)

http://www.ambery.com/pivipr.html

I hope it helps a bit

Yanomani

Nice find, still more than a cheap LCD but you get real PiP, color and motion based alarm outputs!
  • wasswass Posts: 151
    edited 2015-06-03 20:35
    xanadu wrote: »
    I'm guessing it was an illegal knock off, or some kind of overstock that may be plagued with issues. I'm not sure the cost of Windows CE on a device but I'm pretty sure it's not cheap enough to leave any room for all of the other electronics.

I'm guessing that it's a scam. Look at the ratings of the seller and the 'buyers' of other products. Also this same item is all over ebay for around $150.
    edited 2015-06-03 20:47
    It's not a total scam, it shipped already with tracking number. If it gets through customs I'll be sure to follow up. I wouldn't put it in my car but it's a nice pile of parts for $25 either way.
    edited 2015-06-03 21:32
    Perhaps not a scam, but definitely a dump. Several sellers on Amazon are trying to move it for $150 or so, and it has pretty bad reviews.

For an LCD screen and backup camera, it's worth the eBay price, especially since the price includes shipping.
  • It was a scam. Money returned. Oh well...