Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Quartus II version 15.0 — Parallax Forums

Quartus II version 15.0

Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
edited 2015-06-23 15:38 in Propeller 1
I have just downloaded Quartus II version 15.0.0.145 web edition, and the Cyclone IV and Max10 device files.

Under Windows 8.1 64bit the Device Installer is failing with "Unknown element Arria10-part1"
Anyone else tried this yet???

Warning: these files are huge!

Comments

• TubularTubular Posts: 4,621
    edited 2015-05-06 23:04
    Thanks for the heads-up Cluso

By version "15" you would think they should have most things sorted out, right?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2015-05-07 01:21
    Ray,

I'm downloading it - 4.33 GB!

I'll let you know how I get on with it.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    edited 2015-05-07 04:17
    Good news, they've kept consistent naming, a quick guess from version number that Cluso posted and got it first try - http://download.altera.com/akdlm/software/acdsinst/15.0/145/ib_tar/Quartus-web-15.0.0.145-linux.tar

I'm probably pissing into the wind expecting it to work for me without having changed anything here though, ie: still Kubuntu 14.04.
    edited 2015-05-07 05:14
    I have just finished installing it (Cyclone IV, Cyclone V, MAX 10 and MAX II), it compiled a simple VHDL test file for the Cyclone IV without any problems. I'm using Win7 x64.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-05-07 05:38
    Leon wrote: »
    I have just finished installing it (Cyclone IV, Cyclone V, MAX 10 and MAX II), it compiled a simple VHDL test file for the Cyclone IV without any problems. I'm using Win7 x64.

Good to know Leon. I have WIN 7 64 as well..
    edited 2015-05-07 05:46
    I don't see why Ray/Cluso99 should have a problem with it, especially if he did not select the Arria.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    edited 2015-05-07 06:10
    Cooool ... It seems to be staying alive ... Maybe the crash reporting system works and there was just a new Linux bug with version 14. If that's the case, then cheers to Altera for a quick fix.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2015-05-07 17:39
    Thanks guys for trying this.
    What I did was download Quartus II first, and then install it. Of course it complained about no devices.
    Then I downloaded the devices, Cyclone IV first. Then I used the Device Installer and selected the Cyclone IV package and the installer complained about the Arria10.
    So I downloaded the Max10 devices and ran the Installer - same error.

Now, Altera say you need to use the Device Installer in Windows 8. Seems to me that this may be the source of the failure.
    Yesterday I posted my problem on the Altera Forum - I am just about to check this. No response yet

If nothing, I will uninstall v15 and then reinstall. Luckily I saved the exe so I don't have to download again. Almost went over my download limit yesterday.
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2015-05-07 19:16
    Ray
    I'm suffering the same issue here too on Win 8.1 64bit.
    Quartus complains with "Unknown element Aria 10...."

Yikes! Here we go again with the "new improved?" Quartus. :(
    edited 2015-05-07 20:07
    I have now logged a support query.
    Seems its only been available a few days. Their support page doesn't even list V15 on their dropdown so had to use V14 to report the error ;)
  • TrapperBobTrapperBob Posts: 139
    edited 2015-05-08 03:28
    i have installed Quartus II v15 to Windows 8-64bit successfully. However , I did install selected devices at the same time as Quartus II. Appears it is an issue with doing this in separate sessions?
    edited 2015-05-08 03:45
    I did the same with my Win7 installation. I don't feel like reinstalling it with device selection left until after installation, as a test. 8-)
    edited 2015-05-08 03:56
    ozpropdev/Brian downloaded both sets and has the same problem as me. Brian even tried the Arria device files.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2015-05-08 04:04
    Hi Cluso

Have You started Device installer in System administrator mode ?.

As it need write things in registry -- You can't start in any other way

Cluso99 wrote: »
    ozpropdev/Brian downloaded both sets and has the same problem as me. Brian even tried the Arria device files.
    edited 2015-05-08 08:00
    The problem appears to be the Quartus II Device Installer.
    I did a uninstall (30+ minutes) and then did a install making sure the device files were in the same folder as the Quartus installer.
    I selected the Cyclone IV,V and Max10 files and another 30 minutes later install completed Ok.
    After the successful install I tried using Device Installer to add the Aria device file and it failed as before.

So the tool designed to add devices to Quartus anytime after a install doesn't work at all. :(
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-05-08 09:18
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    The problem appears to be the Quartus II Device Installer.
    I did a uninstall (30+ minutes) and then did a install making sure the device files were in the same folder as the Quartus installer.
    I selected the Cyclone IV,V and Max10 files and another 30 minutes later install completed Ok.
    After the successful install I tried using Device Installer to add the Aria device file and it failed as before.

So the tool designed to add devices to Quartus anytime after a install doesn't work at all. :(

Did installing the Aria device break the whole Quartus? or just the ability to load the Aria.?

I just did a Win7 x64 as Leon did with no problems. I only loaded Cyclone V so I can run my *STUNNING* :( BeScope on my BeMicroCV
    edited 2015-05-08 13:23
    According to Altera,under Windows 8+ you must use the separate program "Device Installer" to install the devices, not Quartus itself.
    This Device Installer fails to install any of the Device files, with an erroneous "Arria" message.

Brian, do I understand that uninstalling Quartus and then reinstalling it with the Device files in the same directory as the Quartus installer works for those device files?
    If so, then I will do that today.
    edited 2015-05-08 15:34
    Publison wrote: »
    Did installing the Aria device break the whole Quartus? or just the ability to load the Aria.?

I just did a Win7 x64 as Leon did with no problems. I only loaded Cyclone V so I can run my *STUNNING* :( BeScope on my BeMicroCV
    No. Like Cluso I never wanted the Aria device but I tried installing it too as Quartus seemed to be doing something associated with it.

Cluso99 wrote: »
    According to Altera,under Windows 8+ you must use the separate program "Device Installer" to install the devices, not Quartus itself.
    This Device Installer fails to install any of the Device files, with an erroneous "Arria" message.

Brian, do I understand that uninstalling Quartus and then reinstalling it with the Device files in the same directory as the Quartus installer works for those device files?
    If so, then I will do that today.

Yes. That's what worked for me.
    I put all the files in the same directory and ran the Quartus Installer.
    Quartus detected the devce files and prompted me to select which devices I wanted. I picked the 3 I wanted and proceeded.
    Quartus installed Ok with all the devices I wanted and I ran a Max10 compile with no issues.
    edited 2015-05-08 17:30
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled. It's all working now :)
    However, I didn't download the Cyclone V file (used my download quota for now). So if there's no fix, then I am up for another uninstall/install :(
    edited 2015-06-03 21:38
    Altera acknowledged the bug and have been working on a fix. This is a Windows 8.1 bug.

I have now received a patch called "quartusii-15.0.01we-windows.exe" from Altera Tech Support and I have verified that it works.

So, you need to install this patch by running the .exe. Then you can install another device(s) (eg CycloneV-15.0.0.145.qdz) using the standalone Device Installer.

You should be able to obtain this patch from Altera Tech Support.
    edited 2015-06-23 07:34
    Apparently Quartus 15 web edition now supports the cyclone V A9 (biggest), at least the variant used in BeMicro CV A9, which are now in stock.

There's conflicting documentation about this, but I've seen a few threads that seem to confirm it, so thought it worth mentioning here.

One of you Quartus 15 guys want to do a quick test compile to make sure?
    edited 2015-06-23 08:22
    Hi Lachlan
    Just did a quick compile of a P1V on a 5CEFA9F23C8 and Quartus 15.0 web edition seemed to compile OK. (Analysis and Fitter)
    Looks like the larger A9 devices are supported now. :)
    Cheers
    Brian
    edited 2015-06-23 15:38
    Nice, thanks Brian.

Based on your 40 cog beast, I reckon we could now run 100 cogs (and thereby service 100 interrupts : ) And share a megabyte of ram between them
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-08-01 13:57
    Uh oh... I spoke too soon.  My installation Quartus II Ver 15.0.2 (the Update 2) has had a few problems on Debian 8.1 Jessie.

It seemed to work by just running the install and the update, but it was very slow to load.  And I began to note message in the Terminal that I used to start it.

First off, canberra-gtk3-module was missing.

As a superuser (no sudo in Debian 8.1 Jessie amd64 ), I acquired this via apt-get after switching from CDs to repositories.

apt-get install libcanberra-gtk* is what I used.

That was a big improvement.... Now it boots very quickly.

++++++++++
    But I have one more problem.  Quartus II cannot locate D-Bus.  I checked and the software is installed, but not responding.

Have have dbus-daemon and dbus-launch started, but sleeping.

I am pretty sure I can eventually resolve this on my own. But I have to poke around and search for some tips to do so.  Any suggestions on how to do so?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Loopy,

no sudo in Debian 8.1 Jessie amd64

Why not? Works here:
    $ cat /etc/debian_version
    $ uname -a
    Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1 (2015-05-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    $ sudo rm -rf /root/kicad_sources
    $

I had a dbus issue recently, sadly I don't recall the fix. Hopefully I can get back to you on that.
    edited 2015-08-01 14:54
    No idea what is going on with sudo.  It didn't work for me, maybe a typo and haste. I migrated from Ubuntu via Mint and haven't settled into know what each distribution prefers.

Quartus II seems to be working in spite of the messages.  I managed to get the project open and work enough to attempt a compile and it listed 3 errors and a big pile of warnings in the Ram memory VHDL file.

I am exhausted. So I good nights sleep may make it easier to clear up both my Quartus II installation and the actual project.  This thread is only about the installation side of things. 

In sum, I have a runnng installation -- just not a clean installation.
    Yay, excellent.
    I'd be reinstalling Quartus here myself but my SSD is full. Now what happened to that other terabyte I had lying around...
    edited 2015-08-01 17:30
    Looking around on the internet, Altera does have a Wiki for Quartus II on Debian.
    But it is a bit dated. It is for Quartus II V14.0 which won't support the Cyclone CVA9.
    And the Debian is Wheezy 7.6. (I just loaded Jessie 8.1)

This may allow me to get all this resolved. I might just remove the whole installation and start over. I am not sure what the implications of my poking around might otherwise be.

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/Quartus_for_Debian_Wheezy

http://www.armadeus.com/wiki/index.php?title=Quartus_installation_on_Linux.

I will reread this thread from the beginning and hope to find a bit more useful info. I'd rather not roll back Debian to Wheezy.  But I happen to have a copy installed on a bootable USB drive and could test to see if that is easier than Jessie (when all else fails of course).

I would not be so quick to retrograde to Debian 7.
    Sounds to me like your Quartus is running and usable on Debian 8.1
    The question is what is not working due to the dbus errors?
    I have no idea but it might be something like Quartus getting notification of user logout or system shutdown, used to enable it to offer up "save file" dialogs and such.
    Perhaps this is not essential to get on with Quartus and your project.  
    edited 2015-08-01 18:13
    The DBus is apparently used to reach the outside world for download and document servers.  Quartus II should have online documentation and other stuff when properly working, but that appears broken in my case.

The path issues have yet to be addressed. I will read and explore those in the next few days.  There is an 'Altera Installation and License Manual that mentions the path problem in Linux in section 4-6, but the text is no very concise about details.

Also, I was getting warnings to reconfigure Locales and I thought that was a legacy problem that carried over from Wheezy.

And now I see that I may have to also do something about USB-Blaster.  Not sure if that applies to me or not.

I certainly would rather not roll back to Debian 7.6, but I may use my USB harddisk version to get started with a good install. And then see if the same issues are resolved in the same way in Debian 8.1. 

Visiting the Altera Forums is not going to help.  It seems a very sleepy backwater with nobody even considering Quartus II V15.0.2 yet.  The latest thread is asking support questions about V14.0.

============
    I suspect the Parallax Forums will get this resolved much faster.