Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Remote connection to Memsic 2125 — Parallax Forums

Remote connection to Memsic 2125

drmdrm Posts: 10
edited 2015-04-26 09:55 in Accessories
Hello,

I've attached a Memsic 2125 to a programmable microcontroller. And, I'm able to obtain the expected data when the accelerometer is attached via 6 inches of wire. But for this particular project, the sensor needs to reside 3 feet from the microcontroller.

I soldered connectors to 3 feet of CAT 5 cable and reconnected the Memsic. But, with the 3-foot run of cable, the readings suddenly slow down. (Periodically, they'll speed up to my original setting of 4 readings per second; but, for the most part the readings are extremely slow (> 1 second per reading).)

If the readings were consistently slow, I'd assume that the cable run had introduced problematic resistance. But, because the readings are periodically normal, I'm baffled/puzzled by the behavior.

I wondered if anyone on the forum had suggestions as to how I might trouble-shoot and resolve the issue?

Thanks!

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-04-26 08:40
    The output signal from the Memsic is a pulse whose duration is proportional to the acceleration, and the currents involved are so small that the resistance of 3 feet of wire is insignificant. I don't really see how the wiring can affect the rate of the readings since the Memsic will output a pulse every 2.5 or 10 milliseconds depending on the factory programming. I would be more suspicious of the software, but to be certain the wiring is not the problem I would suggest the following:

1- Connect power and ground to the Memsic using one twisted pair of the cat5.
    2- Connect each signal using a twisted pair, with the ground connected only at the Memsic or Microcontroller end, not both ends.
    3- Make sure all the connections are good.
    4- Check the power supply for the correct voltage and no ripple or other noise.

Use a scope to check power and signals if you have one available.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-04-26 09:55
    I would also terminate the signal lines with maybe 4.7K (or smaller if the Memsic can drive a stiffer load) to ground at the microcontroller end.

-Phil