Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What are the limits of in COG with C or BASIC? - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

What are the limits of in COG with C or BASIC?

13»

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2015-04-10 14:04
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    I converted the PropBASIC frequency counter program to C..

I also generated the assembly output, which is included in the zip file.
    That's a great example. Any code-size numbers for the 3 choices ?
    I also see calls to __DIVSI, but no code shows for that ?

Like in the i2c example, PropGCC this time again missed the andn, that it sometimes can see?, and instead uses a 2nd register and invert constant.

PropBASIC comes in smaller than PropGCC, but not by that much.
    +19% on the inner-most Freq loop, and +70% on the serial, but PropBASIC has a native asm block it pops in for that, with a highly optimized 4 line .DJNZ shifting loop.

However some can be improved by coding, I notice
    C: value = (value << 1) | 0x200;
    while Basic used the more compact value = (value | 0x100) << 1;
    I'm guessing C will compile the last form smaller.

PropBASIC also has the illusion of a BAUD parameter, but it actually stores a const FSys/BAUD (ie skips any run time load DIV )
    PropGCC code can shrink, by doing the same.

The other gain area for PropBASIC seems to be in register allocation, & looks like PropGCC could benefit from either a user directive or some pass that keeps some vars in registers.
    PropGCC will always be constrained by the code generator mapping of just a limited RegSet, but that is a core feature of GCC

Any calls to libraries like __DIVSI, also make that 'keep' decision more difficult.

I also see PropBASIC has a nice DivMod, if a little non-portable, by using an overlay access to the available __remainder.
    That allows a single (in line) DivMod ASM generate, whilst PropGCC has 2 calls.
  • davidsaundersdavidsaunders Posts: 1,559
    edited 2015-04-16 05:50
    OK now that I am taking a more serious look at this I am in the progress of learning the quirks of Prop GCC. It is rather interesting and I think that it will work out quite well.