Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sharp IR Sensor with Prop BOE Board — Parallax Forums

Sharp IR Sensor with Prop BOE Board

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2014-12-10 17:10 in Accessories
Can the Sharp IR Sensor, http://www.parallax.com/product/28995 be used with the ADC on the Prop BOE Board?

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-12-09 21:39
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Can the Sharp IR Sensor, http://www.parallax.com/product/28995 be used with the ADC on the Prop BOE Board?

Yes. The PropBOE (and the Propeller Activity Board) use a 5V analog to digital converter. You'll need to take a look at the datasheet for the sensor to see the relationship between the voltage and distance. IIRC the voltage goes down as the distance to the object increases.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-12-09 21:55
    I thank you for the quick response. I only need it for testing purposes. As there is no ADC on the Prop Project Board which is what is on the Wild Thumper, I will need to purchase one but I just want to make sure what I am planning will work. Any recommendations as to which one to use with the Project Board?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-12-10 00:09
    Any recommendations as to which one to use with the Project Board?

I thought I was experiencing a bit of D
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-12-10 09:32
    About the only "special" thing you might want to consider for these sensors is that you add a 10 uF (or so) cap across their power pins. When they are triggering -- which is all the time when they are powered on -- they can produce some noise that could filter back to the ADC. The noise can make for unreliable measurements, depending on wiring and other factors. The cap can help soak up the spikes.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-12-10 13:30
    I will need to purchase one but I just want to make sure what I am planning will work. Any recommendations as to which one to use with the Project Board?

Is there a reason you're opting for the Prop BOE rather than Propeller Activity Board? Both are excellent, and the BOE has some additional features that might be useful (built-in mic, attached video connector), but the PAB is about third the price.

If you go with the PAB, I'd personally stick with the ADC chip it uses, which happens to interface via SPI. That'll allow you to run Activity Board code libraries without revision.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-12-10 17:10
    I currently own 2 Prop BOE Boards an 0 Activity Boards, so it's a cost issue!!!

@Duane, sorry about the dejavu. just goes to show where my mind is. I totally forgot I even started that thread!!!