Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hacking the HoverFlyGimbal and replacing Kalman with Madjwick filters — Parallax Forums

Hacking the HoverFlyGimbal and replacing Kalman with Madjwick filters

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2014-10-13 16:59 in Robotics
I just would like to mention that there has been a lively discussion about deploying newer 9DoF IMU (aka MARG) devices on the Propeller with the Propeller-based HoverFlyGimbal Experimenter's board. It started before this Forum began..

Madjwick seems to perform very stable without gyro drift, avoid gimbal lock by use of quarternion format, and provide more compact sensor fusion code. So it seems a big win for just about everyone.

Additionally, Propeller DCM authored by Jason Dorie is going through revisions to include the Madjwick filter in the 9DoF context. So it may be of interest to anyone wanting to up-grade their inertial management unit and to resolve problems related to gyro drift.

Here is a link to that thread...http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/157270-Propeller-9-DOF-Experimenter-board-–-LIMITED-QUANTY

At this may help to make your ELEV-8 experience better than ever.

Comments

• mklrobomklrobo Posts: 420
    edited 2014-10-13 16:59
    Just bought my own ELEV - 8, and I will look into the issue you are presenting. Cool! :cool:
    Just an idea; Since the gyros and related software works on copters, why would it not
    work on stabilizing a huminoid walking droid? Just a thought...:innocent:
  • I got stalled on this for several reasons, and really am working my way back into exploring the HoverFly board and the other MARG devices that finally arrived after a 6 month delay from DealExtreme.

I love the topic, love the exotic maths, believe Jason Doire does great things with Propeller code for autonomous flight, and that the Propeller 1 remains very leading edge for this use.