Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Installing Basic stamp editor software on a Mac — Parallax Forums

Installing Basic stamp editor software on a Mac

okanikecokanikec Posts: 4
edited 2014-10-05 08:49 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I am new to microcontroller programming.

I just got a Basic Stamp microcontroller and I have a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.0.2

Please can someone assist me on how to install the Basic Stamp editor on my Macbook Pro.

Can the editor be installed directly on OS X 10.9.2?...or do have to get a virtual machine with Windows OS and install the editor on there..?

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2014-08-18 21:11
    okanikec: Welcome to the forums. I'm not a Mac user, but I know there is a Mac version of the Stamp Editor at http://www.parallax.com/downloads/basic-stamp-editor-software in addition to the Windows versions. See also http://www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2/

Please wait for someone more Mac-savvy than I to comment on using the Mac version vs. the Windows virtual machine version. Help generally arrives pretty quickly on this forum. :)
  • okanikecokanikec Posts: 4
    edited 2014-08-19 07:24
    Thanks erco

I checked out the links.

My Macbook runs OS X 10.9.2 though....the link says it the Basic Stamp editor software will not run on OS X 10.7 and later versions
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-08-19 07:42
    okanikec wrote: »
    Thanks erco

I checked out the links.

My Macbook runs OS X 10.9.2 though....the link says it the Basic Stamp editor software will not run on OS X 10.7 and later versions

Did you try this download?

http://www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2-experimental/downloads.shtml

It is supposed to support 10.7 (Lion) and newer. Version 3.0.6. (From the Parallax page erco linked to).
    edited 2014-08-20 21:09
    Thanks Publison.
    edited 2014-09-01 21:45
    Please can anyone tell me how to get a debug terminal that will enable me send messages or data to the BASIC Stamp....on a Mac OS X v 10.9.2

I installed MacBS2 with PBasic v 2.5

Currently, the Debug terminal cannot take/receive input data from the keyboard.

I am new to micro controller programming.

Thanks.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2014-09-02 06:35
    goSerial is a serial app for Mac OS X that will properly let you send and receive info to the Stamp via DEBUG and DEBUGIN. The debug terminal in MacBS2 will only show you DEBUG, but not let you input data via DEBUGIN.

http://www.furrysoft.de/?page=goserial
  • KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2014-09-05 21:46
    In a pinch you can use this applescript to get a VT100 terminal going.
    set baudList to {1200, 2400, 4800, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 230400}

set baudRate to (choose from list baudList default items {38400})

tell application "Terminal"

set serialDevices to (do shell script "ls /dev/cu*")

set theDeviceList to (paragraphs of serialDevices) as list

set theDevice to (choose from list theDeviceList)

do script "screen " & theDevice & " " & baudRate

display dialog "To quit your terminal session type <ctrl-a> then <ctrl-\\>"

end tell

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2014-09-11 20:30
    Another nice freeware terminal program for Mac is CoolTerm.
    http://freeware.the-meiers.org/

You can switch between MacBS2 and the terminal window, but you have to disconnect on the terminal each time you want to load a new program into the Stamp. That is, if you are using the BASIC Stamp debug port both for programming and for debugging within your application program.
  • fuichrisfuichris Posts: 26
    edited 2014-10-05 08:49
    Super helpful for me as well..Thanks! Working thru it.
    :nerd:
  • wallypalowallypalo Posts: 4
    edited 2016-03-07 16:02
    Hi. I used a Basic stamp a few years ago to help my daughter learn about robots and software. After moving, I lost access to a Windows box, and now have all MacOSX machines. I tried to install and run MacBS2, and used links to ftdichips.com to download and install their VCP driver v2.3 for OSX 10.9 & up. We have OSX 10.11.3. Anyway, still can't get the MacBS2 to get past the compiler directive: '{$STAMP BS2}. It sees the serial port (usbserial-A600fA4l), but complains: "Unknown target module. $STAMP directive not found." Still, it seems to be communicating. I get a quick succession red and green lights on our BoeBot, and the Stamp spits out "Parallax Ping Sonar" with the first call to our internal subroutine to compute Centimeters to nearest object. Can't compile anything new though.

Any words of encouragement? Has anyone successfully used a newer Mac with MacBS2 lately? Is there some special kind of USB to serial connector I need to be using. I am using the same cable that I used when it worked on a Windows box.
  • Did you try regular old '{$STAMP BS2} ? I couldn't possibly imagine that MacBS2 would require you to change the directive to '{$STAMP MacBS2} in order to work.
  • wallypalowallypalo Posts: 4
    edited 2016-03-07 16:02
    Sorry, typo. My code has ' {$STAMP BS2}, not MacBS2. It is choking on {$STAMP BS2}
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Can you attach an exact copy of the code you're having issues with so we can load it into our own IDE and see what happens?
  • I'm running Mac OS 10.11.4 and have a copy of MacBS2 3.1.9 freshly downloaded. It doesn't seem to recognize the '{$STAMP BS2} directive in wallypalo's program (which looks correct).
  • Sorry, got busy on a home remodel and just getting back to this problem. Meanwhile my MacOSX was upgraded to Siera (10.12.1), and so upgraded MacBS2 to MacBS2 (3.1.10) from Murat. Same for serial port software from FTDI. Code loads now, but noticed that I have to move the '{$STAMP BS2}
    to top line position in code. Also have to reboot my iMac almost every time I want to pull off BoeBot for trying out new code. The MacBS2 loses access to Serial Port until I reboot. Any ideas on that problem? Seems like I saw a reference to this problem last year.